Any architects or interior designers here?

Filmboydoug

Nikko Freako
Are there any architects or interior designers here? I have a question or two about art deco design.

This is my idea for a DIY sub project. I wonder if this is too over the top, even for an art deco style project. Never mind the goofy colors, they are for contrast only. If I build this, the different colors would indicate different wood veneers.

Also, I could not show this in the drawing, but all the vertical corners would be rounded off.

Please excuse my lame attempt at computer art, but I think the idea at least comes across. If you have knowledge of architecture and/or interior design I would appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.

doug

Another no-knowledge reply, but it looks pretty cool to me. Assuming the woods blend with other stuff in the room, and a general art-deco theme, I think it would look great.

Filmboydoug said:
Are there any architects or interior designers here? I have a question or two about art deco design.

Or an industrial designer* since it is an object rather than a building or room.

It certainly looks art deco'esque to me. The only thing I might do in addition to what you already have is play with the widths & heights of the corner pieces and vary the relationship of each more. It may end up looking better or worse and you end up with what you started out with. Or, you may end up with an even more pulled together design.

(*I am not one but for the last ~10 years have had final approval on all product industrial design for my division. The comment I made above is the type of thing designers will do constantly to refine a design before finalizing.)

My wife and I both think your on the right track (Neither are experts but we both like some of the art Deco stuff) I was thinking you could take a router and flute the corner panels and maybe extend the center "fingers" longer? art Deco gets real ornate.

You might be able to get some stamped wood rosettes as well, and a specialty lumber store or wood workers supply catalog might get you some additional details.

Looks good to me. One of the features of art deco is the use of industrial materials. I would try and incorporate some polished aluminium or chrome steel. These elements look best when they appear structural like you are building a bridge or highrise building, of course they only need be cosmetic. The use of polished stone and frosted glass is also popular with art deco. Already has a good deco feel to it though, empire state building like, I like it. My only other suggestion would be make it taller or shorter. At the moment it looks almost like a cube, thats a tough shape to pull off because our eyes like rectangles better. You wont find too many houses/furniture/gardens etc cube shaped for this reason I think.

Me like ! Always have liked the "setback" 1930s style skyscrapers-the Chrysler building is a tad too "busy" for me, though. Always liked Rockefeller Center. Another one you prolly don't know about is the R.J. Reynolds Bldg in Winston-Salem, NC. I think the same guy designed it & the Empire State Bldg.-Sandy G.

I actually had a light bulb go off after seeing the first pic below.

The second pic is of a fantastic theater in town, the ceiling gave me the idea for the top.

Filmboydoug said:
I actually had a light bulb go off after seeing the first pic below.

The second pic is of a fantastic theater in town, the ceiling gave me the idea for the top.

Cool, but its going to be a lot of work to replicate that exterior paint scheme :D

Filmboydoug said:
Not sure what it was originally, but caption says Knickerbocker Laundry in Queens, NY.

Tons more excellent pics at http://www.decopix.com/

Thank you!

It is worth a drive to Kahveens to see it. I hope it is on the historic register. It would be a tragedy to demo such a wonderful example of empire deco for condos. I thought is was a bank because of the clock on the face. It has so many of the classic deco design points.

Hi Doug- i'm only addicted to hgtv. And I have a great ability to insult w/out trying so proceed with caution- Soundmotor's suggestions about adjusting the sides sounds :thmbsp: The only things I would add would be consider keeping the medallion/design on the front. And although I see the vintage ceiling with the flowing lines- I kinda think it would appear to modern on a smaller canvas. Hope you don't hate me too much-mark
But I :bigok: for the idea-gl

elvisluvs said:
Hi Doug- i'm only addicted to hgtv. And I have a great ability to insult w/out trying so proceed with caution- Soundmotor's suggestions about adjusting the sides sounds :thmbsp: The only things I would add would be consider keeping the medallion/design on the front. And although I see the vintage ceiling with the flowing lines- I kinda think it would appear to modern on a smaller canvas. Hope you don't hate me too much-mark
But I :bigok: for the idea-gl

Not at all. Just the kind of advice I am looking for. I'd only be insulted if anybody says it looks like hammered shit! :lmao:

Well, since you are open minded......if it were me I cheesillisticly admit I might do a google image search for art deco, peruse ebay antiques for same, check out sothebies ( or the other big one?) for the same. Last but not least i've done a bit of surfing ebay vintage electronics lately- some of the clocks, radios and consoles have quite a neat period beauty-mark

Back
Top Bottom