Any clones of 1960s classics?

sssboa

Hi

I would like to buy a classic 1960s valve amp, I would prefer an integrated one but not necessarily, Sansui, Fisher, Marantz, Leak etc.
Not an easy task. Renovation part scares me a bit too.

I wonder, are there today's clones of those classic constructions? I remember a valve preamp Angel 7 based on Marantz design, but simplified rather than improved.

Any examples?

I think it's not an unethical topic as those original classics are no longer produced.

Some of the classics came as kits with assembly manuals, so you could deconstruct one and rebuild it via the assembly manual with mostly new parts while reusing those parts that are hard to come by. Just a thought.

Personally, I just fix/restore what I have - even those that came as kits. I recently restored a Fisher KX-100 integrated amp that came as a kit.

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/amplifiers/MC275B

1110mac.1.jpg

The main requirement is getting exact clones of the transformers. That is what makes the Dynaco/kit range stand out as a top recommendation.

I built s pair of MKIIIs and love them. Plenty of ommph, with film caps they don't sound too vintage, and you get that new built amp reliability....

My Dynakitparts ST-35 has a ‘take your breath away’ sound. Added Dave Gillespie’s EFB and Mullard power tubes to take it to the next level.

So what do you use as preamplifiers with these dynakits, SS or tube preamps? How can they not offer preamps with them? Those Dynaco PATs are good as preamps? Are they tube or SS?

What do you think of integrated receivers Sansui 1000A or Fisher 400?

To be honest I thought you would show me an amp called say Shinquo Zin 2 or something made in China and sold on Ebay which would be an exact replica of one of those 1960s classics, especially those that have been long time discontinued. But I see those Yaqunis or so prefer to come up with their original new designs, how do they compare to the classics?

Last edited:
Use a passive preamp with a CD player and add a phono stage for vinyl.

The sonic magic is in the output transformers, and the Dynaco copies are good. Many vintage tube preamps were not as good sounding and CD player have enough voltage to drive the power amp without help. The Dynaco SCA35 i an integrated tube amp though.

There is a newish (at least to me) company that offers PAS kits. Not sure if they offer fully built units too. But check them out (no affiliation): http://www.erhard-audio.com/PAS_SCA_New_Generation.html

I’m in the process of building a Latino ST70, though I haven’t got very far yet, working full time is such an inconvenience. It will be my third kit thus far. For a pre I’m using a Sound Valves 101i or a Mac 110. The Fisher 400 is an excellent receiver.

I use a Parasound 2100 pre with the ST-35. I have used an Adcom and a passive attenuator as well and I prefer the 2100 significantly. Remote, sub management and many inputs. Plus it just sounds the best.

Use a passive preamp with a CD player and add a phono stage for vinyl.

The sonic magic is in the output transformers, and the Dynaco copies are good. Many vintage tube preamps were not as good sounding and CD player have enough voltage to drive the power amp without help. The Dynaco SCA35 i an integrated tube amp though.

There is a newish (at least to me) company that offers PAS kits. Not sure if they offer fully built units too. But check them out (no affiliation): http://www.erhard-audio.com/PAS_SCA_New_Generation.html
I like this
http://www.erhard-audio.com/SCA-NGT.html

Only it's kind of ugly in comparison with vintage gear I am used to.

I’m in the process of building a Latino ST70, though I haven’t got very far yet, working full time is such an inconvenience. It will be my third kit thus far. For a pre I’m using a Sound Valves 101i or a Mac 110. The Fisher 400 is an excellent receiver.
What would you say of Sansui 1000A. It's more available in Europe, high power, probably has better potentiometers than Fisher. Is it normal for valve amps to have such a low damping factor like 10?

I wonder, are there today's clones of those classic constructions? I remember a valve preamp Angel 7 based on Marantz design, but simplified rather than improved.

Any examples?

What I'm not getting from your post is, are you looking for a new kit to build yourself?
Or products that where put out plug and play as a clone of something else?
And a third question, Why?
is it you want the looks of something old but not have to worry about it breaking down? You think it will be cheaper buying a clone?

What I'm not getting from your post is, are you looking for a new kit to build yourself?
is it you want the looks of something old but not have to worry about it breaking down? You think it will be cheaper buying a clone?
Ideally for me would be to buy 1960s integrated valve receiver and rebuild it myself as I did with solid state. But I am afraid it's much more complicated than with SS due to no pcbs, risk of spoiling the sound replacing the original old technology components with modern etc.

Ideally for me would be to buy 1960s integrated valve receiver and rebuild it myself as I did with solid state. But I am afraid it's much more complicated than with SS due to no pcbs, risk of spoiling the sound replacing the original old technology components with modern etc.
Ok but it still didn't answer my questions.

is it you want the looks of something old but not have to worry about it breaking down?

You think it will be cheaper buying a clone?

I'm trying to get where your coming from because there is 1000s of amps and preamps out there. Most tube amps look old so I'm not getting the clone part for that. As far as sound, lots of amps sound great and lots are better than 60 year old amps (subjective). If it's to save money well that's another thing so we would need a budget.

Anyway I was trying to clear up questions as to why so we're not just wasting time here. And now I'm on my second post getting no where.

it's much more complicated than with SS due to no pcbs,

Honestly I find this makes it easier, no chance of damaging a PCB but most of the solid state gear I fool with has those early horrible boards that fall apart if you look at them too hard.

Dunno, honestly IMO if you've done rebuilds of solid state gear I think you could pull off a rehab of tube gear. Personally I find receivers to be a bit messy to work on just because they are so densely packed but that does vary of course. The Sansui 1000a is not exactly known for easy service or clean layout. The Fisher 400 would likely be a lot easier to deal with. Ask @larryderouin if you want specifics about those two, I know he's done both.

BTW, you might want to become a subscriber so you can shop around in barter town.

you just might find what your looking for right here.

For me, tube amplifiers make much more sense, and the parts are more readily available for them than SS especially early ss w germanium transistors.

Back
Top Bottom