Any David Bromberg fans???

Andyman

Scroungus Stereophilus
Subscriber
Just played my "new" $1.00 copy of "Wanted; Dead or Alive" out in the shop and it sure struck a nerve. I'd forgotten how much I liked this guy. :yes:

Another dollar well spent.

I've got about 3 or 4 more of his LPs; played him a LOT back in college. :thmbsp:

I've got just about everything he's recorded, either on vinyl or on cd. Consummate musician. Most recent release, Try Me One More Time, was awelcome return to recording after a long lay-off being a fiddle maker.

Just checked the stacks and most of my stuff is the 70's releases, "Midnight on the Water", "Bandit in a Bathing suit" and "How Late will You Play" Wait, There should be a "Demon in Disguise" somewhere too...

I need to play this more often.

I have six of his LPs, would pick up more and love his music. I think my favorite is still from his "s/t" or best hits LP, Suffer To Sing The Blues.

Bought a copy of "Demon in Disguise" a couple weeks ago. "Sharon" is one of my all-time favorites. The only problem is that the recording seems a little harsh and shouty. A shame because "Sharon" deserves to be turned way up.

I have been trying to find that song where I think he is going through his ex's house and mentions all the stereo equipment. A Gerrard turntable with Pickering Cartridge etc. I have not heard it in over 20 years so maybe I am trippin. Is that Bull Frog Blues or maybe Will Not Be Your Fool?

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Not sure about that tune, but saw some interesting Bromberg video on youtube with Jorma and Hot Tuna. Pretty good stuff. . .

I really should give him a new listen. I saw him a long time ago and he got into it with a guy in the club over something silly like and it kinda ticked me off that he blew off the rest of us . So 30 years is enough time to get over it and be a fan again. Really should not hold these grudges so long! Ok Mr. Bromberg, all's forgiven.

You should. He's got a wide, eclectic repertoire and is a darn good musician. I listened to his "Best of" collection and really love some this stuff. Guys like this can spoil ya :yes:

It is Bull Frog Blues. I found the lyrics.

[You head back to your best friends house and you, you get a little high-chair-stool kinda thing and you, you peek over the transom into your best friends room...
And in that room you see
A one hundred percent mohair rug, a lizardskin Barcalounger with Magic Fingers. A Garard Turntable with a Pickering Cartridge, Bogen Amplifier, Jensen Speakers, Revox Tape Recorder and a Stromberg-Carlson AM FM Tuner.[/B]

A leather-bound five-year collection of playboy magazine, featuring the entire Playboy Philosophy by Hugh M. Heffner.
Schmuck.
A copy of The Whole Earth Catalogue, Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, The Trilogy of the Rings, all four volumes of the teachings of Don Juan and the fifth in manuscript.
The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran...autographed.
Some Spiderman and Fantastic Four comic books - featuring !Dr. Doom!
Some Zap comic books with the pages stuck together.
Some extra-wide cigarette papers featuring the visage of a former vice president of the United States.
Some very suspicious looking Baggies.
And a great big... Olympic sized... thermally heated... el mondo grosso waterbed...
with satin sheets, pink pillowcases,
and...and a fur bed spread.
And on that bed - twistin'and turnin’, rollin’ and tumblin’, shoutin’ and groanin’, jumpin’ and pumpin’, uttering wordless moans and unnamable exclamations, you see your baby and your best friend and good people,
I wish to tell you, its hard...
no, I mean its hard baby. Its hard cause you always thought your best friend was kind of a square and you see him in there doing things that would make Dr. Kinsey wanna cross his legs ya know.

Damn, does that mean there'll be a run on Lizardskin BarcaLoungers by AKer's now too...:lmao:

I like the solo acoustic stuff he does a lot better than the stuff with the band. I have an album by him on vinyl, it's his first one, self titled. Always a great experience to listen to it. My favorite song he does is "Delia."

He is perhaps the most famous musician that most people have never heard of.

By that I mean you have to be a true fan of good "popular" music to know of him. He has been playing for 50 years.

Glad this thread is back, I need to check & see if he is touring this year. Always a great show, whether solo or with the band. His wife Nancy is very talented too.

Yup, I am a long term fan of David Bromberg. It started with his first album, a HS friend of mine introduced me to it. I saw him a couple of times live over the years, and streamed his performance at Hardly strictly blue grass - as well. Yes great range and very entertaining. Confirming Ausjoe experience; he does interact with the crowd and is wound pretty tight.

link to 2018 HSB performance: http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2018/webcast/?mrid=119594

Performance scheule: https://davidbromberg.net/upcoming-tour-dates/

Who doesn't like a guy that is playing at the 'Funky Biscuit'?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom