Any Denon DAP 5500 or DAP 2500 Pre-amp users?

Bostown

Low End Audio Enthusiast!
Subscriber
Anyone here using ( past or present) a DAP 5500 or DAP 2500.

I'm quickly talking myself out of acquiring yet another Pre-Amp and instead using what I already have with an Accuphase P-300 Power amp.

If an Accuphase C-200 Pre-amp pops up on the scene at a fair price I'd consider it, but I might as well use what's readily available to me. -

Is anyone using either of these Denon units? and secondly has anyone had theirs restored ( full recap etc? )

The DAP 5500 is not a common find and it's quite a beast of a pre-amp and my thought is that it should stand in pretty well in place of the C-200. (plus there's the added benefit of already owning it.)

Anyone familiar with these 2 Denon pre-amp "classics" :)
here's a few pics to jar your memory.

DENON DAP 5500

Image%252520003.png

Image%252520002.png

4405087502_6cc3320684_o.jpg

DENON DAP 2500

dap%2525202500.jpg

I helped a buddy (AK'er kwik_silvr31) with a 5500. He fixed it up, and is very impressed by it. It's as solid as a rock.

Do you already have the Denons?

Last edited:
I helped a buddy (AK'er kwik_silvr31) with a 5500. He fixed it up, and is very impressed by it. It's as solid as a rock.

Do you already have the Denons?

I do. Both the DAP 2500 w/ remote and the DAP 5500.
I could never decide which one I wanted to keep , so I ended up hanging on to both of them. I bounced back and forth between the 2 units in various incarnations of my Denon system. Denon really OVERBUILT the 5500, which is why I'm considering paring it with the Accuphase P-300 , I figure it's got to be somewhat in the same performance ballpark as the C-200.

I'll have to reach out to kwik_silvr31 to hear more about his restoration.

I'll use My DAP 5500 for a while as is, then see about having it brought back up to spec. (figuring that caps and other components are about due for some TLC, even if it's just preventative maintenance) I noted in another thread that The "DIGITAL" side of the 5500 is a bit dated by way of technology but still not a bad DAC for standard cd playback up to 48k.

The Dap 2500 is no slouch either. I can't think of any Denon pre-amps from around that time that were really dogs. The PRA 1500, 1200, 1100 and even the 1000 are all solid units. The 1200 which I've owned in the past sounded as good as the Hafler series 945 and NAD 1155 that I've used in other set ups. Their kind of sleepers and as a result can be picked up at reasonable prices.

I do. Both the DAP 2500 w/ remote and the DAP 5500.
I could never decide which one I wanted to keep , so I ended up hanging on to both of them. I bounced back and forth between the 2 units in various incarnations of my Denon system. Denon really OVERBUILT the 5500, which is why I'm considering paring it with the Accuphase P-300 , I figure it's got to be somewhat in the same performance ballpark as the C-200.

I'll have to reach out to kwik_silvr31 to hear more about his restoration.

I'll use My DAP 5500 for a while as is, then see about having it brought back up to spec. (figuring that caps and other components are about due for some TLC, even if it's just preventative maintenance) I noted in another thread that The "DIGITAL" side of the 5500 is a bit dated by way of technology but still not a bad DAC for standard cd playback up to 48k.

The Dap 2500 is no slouch either. I can't think of any Denon pre-amps from around that time that were really dogs. The PRA 1500, 1200, 1100 and even the 1000 are all solid units. The 1200 which I've owned in the past sounded as good as the Hafler series 945 and NAD 1155 that I've used in other set ups. Their kind of sleepers and as a result can be picked up at reasonable prices.

Hmm as I see it the PRA-1000 is the best of those you mention. Performance wise It should hold up even against the DAP-5500.

The DAP-5500 is a well built preamp in the same way as the DCD-3520 is a very well built CD-player. But the DAP-5500 isn´t excellent like the PRA-2000(z) and PRA-6000.

If it is the original Accuphase P-300 I would have liked to match it up with a C-200 or perhaps the updated S,X and V-versions or perhaps a C-230 or C-222 or something like that.

Hmm as I see it the PRA-1000 is the best of those you mention. Performance wise It should hold up even against the DAP-5500.

The DAP-5500 is a well built preamp in the same way as the DCD-3520 is a very well built CD-player. But the DAP-5500 isn´t excellent like the PRA-2000(z) and PRA-6000.

If it is the original Accuphase P-300 I would have liked to match it up with a C-200 or perhaps the updated S,X and V-versions or perhaps a C-230 or C-222 or something like that.

I don't share the same opinion on the PRA 2000 having owned one for a while. It was no better than the DAP 1500 , 2500 or 5500. Don't get me wrong, it was nice, but to my ears it did not outperform any of the other units I mentioned. Excellence, I suppose, is in the ear of the listener. :)

anyone know what type of led / lamps these units are using for the Power indicator? I need to replace the one in my DAP 5500

back to the old thread...

Been giving the DAP 2500 some play time after having it sit on the sidelines for far too long. After lots of time spent with other pre-amps ( Cary, Anthem, McIntosh etc) I have even MORE respect and fondness for what Denon did with this unit as well as the DAP 5500. Since the 2500 sports balanced out, it was ideal to pair it with the Audire Otez since it has balanced inputs. The internal DAC in the DAP 2500 proved to be every bit as capable as the Internal DAC in the Sony XA-7ES that I demo'd this set up with.

I'm still amazed that this unit is still flying under the radar for a lot of folks despite it's performance capability and feature set. built in DAC with Coax and Toslink inputs, MC/MM phono support , DIRECT source output , etc etc. Just a real versatile unit that's built well too.

Anyone else using either a 2500 or 5500 ? if so what are you running with it?

Attachments

• _DSC0168.jpg
    _DSC0168.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 213
  • _DSC0163.jpg
    _DSC0163.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 164
Well i have a DAP-2500a which to my knowledge is just a slightly updated version of the 2500? If anyone has any details on the differences that would be appreciated.

I have mine paired with a Denon POA-5200 (as can been seen in my signature). Since Bostown started and revived this thread, its worth mentioning that i own my two denon pieces almost solely because of Bostown's posts regarding the DAP preamps and as well as the later POA models (I would have had no idea they existed otherwise). I was lucky enough to find them both locally within the last 4 months.

I've used the headphone amp, the MC phono stage, and the built in DAC on my 2500a rather extensively and all of them are top notch. It's a very versatile unit, i especially like that it works with my Harmony remote. Some may think the DAC is dated but i actually have my PS3 plugged in via optical cable and the sound is really something on blu-rays and video games. Yes it only does 16/48 but it does it well, and that's what matters.

So add me to the list of DAP users!

xraelx74: post a pic of the 2500A I wonder if the difference is 120v vs multi-voltage, Does yours have a switch to change the unit to 220v? I own 2 of them ( parting ways with one since it's redundant) oddly enough I have the remotes for both of mine as well.

One of mine is voltage switchable, I'll have to take a look at the other which is in it's original box in the Bostown Vault of lesser known audio gear :) sitting on the shelf next to a pair of RDL Acoustics S-1, Acoustic Research 302, Omega Mini-me, Onkyo Integra DX 706 CD player and NHT Pro A-10 Monitor system among other lesser known items, the Denon DAP 5500 is there too of course.

In regards to the DAC, it's definitely still a top flight unit and holds it's own against the internal DAC in several of the more pricey CD Player's I've used recently.
I plan on getting out the Audire Forte and pairing it with the DAP 2500 over the weekend. should be fun.

one week in

Well I've been listening now for a week to my new Denon DAP2500, so I thought I'd throw out my opinion on this piece of equipment. I'm running it with an Audiosource Amp Four with a Sony SACD player and a Technics SL23 table as sources, and it's just been the icing on the cake.

It's sounds great, very detailed, on a couple of Jack Johnson tunes there is waves crashing in the background and yet you can hear them clearly.

Plucked guitar strings just seem to hang in the air, same for cymbals. This stuff I've never experienced before with my old rig.

As far as the unit itself, I like the fact it has tone controls with variable loudness contour, even though they are flat at the moment with just a slight boost in the loudness contour. There is plenty of options for digital inputs, digital in, source direct and the like.

I would only add, when first installed in my system the bass seemed missing, even with the loudness contour at full adjustment, the clarity was immediately evident, just the bass seemed thin when compared to the Nikko it replaced, but after a couple days of listening the bass returned in spades, so much so I had to back the loudness contour back by half. I am admittedly and loudness junkie. Perhaps the caps needed some time to fully form?

The overall tonal quality of this is piece is excellent, plenty inputs and outputs, just a great piece of gear. You know it's a good piece of equipment when it starts to expose the weaknesses in your system, in my case it's the turntable.

To anyone considering this piece of equipment, I have to give it a big thumbs up.:thmbsp:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice to see that unit in it's new home environment. it's an excellent unit that has certainly earned a strong although smaller following.

Been giving the DAP 2500 some play time after having it sit on the sidelines for far too long. After lots of time spent with other pre-amps ( Cary, Anthem, McIntosh etc) I have even MORE respect and fondness for what Denon did with this unit as well as the DAP 5500. Since the 2500 sports balanced out, it was ideal to pair it with the Audire Otez since it has balanced inputs. The internal DAC in the DAP 2500 proved to be every bit as capable as the Internal DAC in the Sony XA-7ES that I demo'd this set up with.

Anyone else using either a 2500 or 5500 ? if so what are you running with it?

Digging up your old thread here, I have a DAP2500 and POA4400s in my family room system (with ADS 910). Overall, this is a really neat old DAC; I use it with an Apple TV for a 2-channel home theater. For a while, I had it in the listening room, with turntable, and driving tube amps. There, I could do a more detailed comparison with my later Denon CD players, and with other preamps. The phono preamp really shines - definitely better than the Quad 44 I was using, and close to the Citation I (a bit less revealing, a darker sound, but still nice). The DAC isn't quite as resolving as the PCM1702 DACs in the DCD-1650AR and DCD-3000, but it sounds a bit more uniform and less bright as a result. Maybe a touch of digital grain, but in a way that is endearing and artistically consistent with 80s-90s music.

Now, I've considered buying a DAP5500, and I'm undecided as to whether it is worth it. Looking at the circuits, there are some features of the DAP2500 that make me think it should sound at least as good for digital. The real bonus of the DAP5500 is the line stage, but the DAP2500 adds the phono preamp. Maybe if the right deal pops up. How much better is the analog line stage in the DAP5500?

They're both great units. The trade off of phono and remote are worth keeping. I've owned both models several times , and probably will again at some point if I let the addict in me take hold. - The Parasound P5 is a modern day version of the 5500/2500 it's pretty damn nice as well.

Just purchased a DAP-2500 that needs work. Any upgrades that can be done? Also, what amplifier was this paired up with?

Just purchased a DAP-2500 that needs work. Any upgrades that can be done? Also, what amplifier was this paired up with?

For me, the best upgrades and mods that could be performed on the DAP 2500 was achieved by parting ways with it and replacing it with the Parasound P5 :) ( not entirely true but close)

The DAP2500 (and the 5500) are still a solid performers especially considering their vintage, they are built like tanks and can still rival some fairly pricey modern pre-amps.

The POA 6600 / 4400 ( or 4400a / 660a) would have been the amps used with the 2500 or DAP 5500.

Hey Bostown, did you sell both of your DAP pres? I just came into a pair of POA 6600s and would like to pair them with one of the intended pre-amps! :)

Hey Bostown, did you sell both of your DAP pres? I just came into a pair of POA 6600s and would like to pair them with one of the intended pre-amps! :)

I sold off the last of what was probably my 11th and 12th DAP pre-amps to AK members a while back. The modern day version of Denon's DAP 5500 & 2500 lives on in Parasound's P5 preamp. If you're not stuck on keeping it Denon, A p5 will certainly fill the shoes of either the 5500 or 2500 until you can put your hands on one. My 6600's were replaced with Aragon Palladiums ( and VAC PA160 MKII monos) among a few others...

I'm pretty sure I'll own another Denon System for nostalgia , Hopefully Poa 8000's but I'd own another PRA 1003 . POA 1003 too.

Keep your eyes on the auction site. If you've ponied up to subscribe here on AK you can post a WTB in the private Marketplace forum called " Bartertown" ( available only to AK subscribers). Of course If I see anything in my travels I'll pass that info along as well.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! I actually subscribed yesterday... :) I've been looking eerywhere, and will continue to do so... Another user is keeping his eyes peeled for me as well - thanks very much to you both! B-)

I'll actually check out the P5 as well.

Thanks again,

- justin

Thanks to Bostown, I took the plunge, and just finished connecting my DAP2500.

Aside from a noisy/grungy mc/mm selector switch, she's singing sweetly.

Anyone know what Harmony remote can operate this?? I tried both my trusty Peel app, nothing, and my Philips universal. Also, nothing.

Jamal, I appreciate the heads up on this lovely preamp.

Back
Top Bottom