Any Difference Between Shure N70BX and N35X Styli?

MCM_Fan

AK Subscriber
I searched both AK and the internet in general, and can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question - are there any differences (other than the color of the plastic housing) between the Shure N70BX and the Shure N35X styli.

Both models fit the SC35C body (which I have), both are .7 mil conicals with a recommended tracking range of 1.5 - 3G.

So, for use on an SC35C body, will there be any difference in performance between these to styli?

I ordered the N70BX EVG conical (4766-D7T) from TVOM a few months back and it tracks light (1.5-3g) but sounded brittle and shrill in my paradox pulse sc35c. I have not tried the n35X but will some day. My best sound from the sc35c has come by way of the heavy tracking OEM conical. Heavy, authoritative, smooth, "right".

I ordered the N70BX EVG conical (4766-D7T) from TVOM a few months back and it tracks light (1.5-3g) but sounded brittle and shrill in my paradox pulse sc35c. I have not tried the n35X but will some day. My best sound from the sc35c has come by way of the heavy tracking OEM conical. Heavy, authoritative, smooth, "right".

My eventual goal is to run an SC35C in a Rek O Kut B-12H with a heavy broadcast arm. It seems like a match made in heaven. However, my Rek O Kut needs a LOT of work before I get to that point. First, I need to find a tonearm (that I can afford) for it...

In the meantime, I want to play around with the SC35C on my MCS 6700 (basically, a Technics SL-1950). This table has the typical mid-weight tonearm that seems to like VTFs in the 2 - 3g range.

I prefer genuine Shure styli when I can find them. I've been on the lookout for an N35X (at a decent price) and wonder if I should add the N70BX to my search list.

The EVG 4766-D7T is a Swiss made 0.7 conical. I have no idea how it would compare to a genuine Shure N35X or N70BX. I've read that the M70BX cartridge has a different inductance than the M35X and SC35C, but no one seems to know if there are any differences between the N70BX and N35X styli.

Another option might be to get one of the DJ style headshells with the little screw on weighs to better match the SC35C with stock stylus to my MCS turntable/tonearm. Maybe something like this Pioneer:

J47939000001000-00-500x500.jpg

Or maybe one of these Stantons:

numarkhs4v2withweights.jpg

That would make it easy to add/remove weight as needed to best match the different stylii I'd like to try.

BTW, all of my previous carts have been high compliance, light trackers that track in the 0.75 - 1.5g range. So, the headshells I have collected have also been lightweight (typically less than 8g). I did recently add a heavier tracking (1.5 - 3.0g) NOS Shure N72EJ 0.4 x 0.7 mil elliptical to my Shure 2215 cartridge for use on the MCS 6700. It seems like a good match, as the 2215 came with a 2225 stylus (basically a clone of the N93E - also 0.4 x 0.7 mil elliptical with a recommended VTF of 1.5 - 3g). The 2215 cart with 2225 stylus was pretty much the standard issue for these Panasonic made direct drive MCS tables.

Since that seems to be the sweet spot for these tables/arms, I thought I'd track down a conical stylus for my SC35C with a similar recommended VTF range.

...I've read that the M70BX cartridge has a different inductance than the M35X and SC35C, but no one seems to know if there are any differences between the N70BX and N35X styli. ...
Shure's user guide for the M70BX answers this question:
shure m70bx  specs.jpg
If the bodies are the same, then you can assume the styli are at least very similar-sounding.

Shure's user guide for the M70BX answers this question:
View attachment 1262806
If the bodies are the same, then you can assume the styli are at least very similar-sounding.

The bodies aren't the same. The M70BX has lower output voltage, lower high frequency response and (at least according to the PDF I found here), higher inductance than the M35X:

upload_2018-8-21_23-37-27.png

upload_2018-8-21_23-38-55.png

But that only tells me the differences between the cartridge bodies, not if there are, or aren't, any differences between the N70BX and M35X Styli.

I'm aware of the 2011 user guide aimed at DJ users. I guess you'll have to decide which Shure publication to believe.

I'm aware of the 2011 user guide aimed at DJ users. I guess you'll have to decide which Shure publication to believe.

I'm not sure if I understand why it would matter which publication I believe. Unless I'm missing something, the spec differences are a function of the cartridge bodies, not the styli. I have no intention of buying an M35X or M70BX cartridge. My question is, will there be any performance difference between an N70BX and an N35X stylus on an SC35C body?

Based on the differences I noted between the SS35C and the TVOM N70BX EVG copy, I would have to guess that the N35X would sound different MCM_fan. I wish I could tell you definitively, but I've hesitated to pay the price the N35X seems to go for at this time.

Based on the differences I noted between the SS35C and the TVOM N70BX EVG copy, I would have to guess that the N35X would sound different MCM_fan. I wish I could tell you definitively, but I've hesitated to pay the price the N35X seems to go for at this time.

The price and availability of the N35X is the reason I'm asking about the N70BX. The N70BX tends to fly under the radar, but if it's really the same stylus as the N35X with a different color plastic housing, I'll add it to me search list.

Back
Top Bottom