Any Dodge Ram owners out there? 20" tires?

avguytx

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just curious as to if any of you own a Dodge Ram with the 20" tires on your truck. If so, have you used anything different than the Goodyear LS's with good results? I've had 2 sets that make it about 40K miles which isn't awful, but I'd like something better without being outrageous. Just looking for real world owner reviews besides the reviews on tire websites! Obviously, the first set was stock and when I replaced the originals at 42K, I just rotated the spare into the group so I only had to buy 3. Now, it's time for all 4 to be swapped so I'm open to new tires. I have to believe there are quieter tires out there than these turds are!

Tires

Don't know about 20" tires, but I've been driving full sized pickups & vans for years, mostly 3/4 & 1 tons, 16-16.5, & I'd say that 40k on a set of skins is about all you can expect. Goodyear & Firestone (I know, they'll fly off the rims & kill me, but I love that "rubber meets the road" stuff) seem to hold up as well as anything. Cheap tires are more like 25K.

I've had a few sets of Michelin's, not no trucks, but they do seem to last forever. Wife had a set on her 97 Bonneville (Sears, made by Michelin) & they had either 80 or 90K when she ran down Bambi's Grandpaw, looked as though they would have lasted another 20k with no trouble. Without a doubt the finest set of tires I've ever owner. Never had a flat either.

Check the tire wear ratings, they will give you an idea of the mileage you can expect. As far as tire noise, I would think that Goodyear LS would be a quiet as anything.

Goodyear

I've owned several trucks in the past, the last one being a 2001 Dodge Dakota with the factory cast aluminum 16 x 8, six lug wheels. Had the Goodyear LS on it from the factory and I got 48K miles out of them. They were my favorite tires I've ever driven on. I did'nt think that they were noisy at all.

I have the Ram QuadCab with the Big Horn Edition (20" tires) but only have 1500 miles on it so I don't need new tires; but,

If I were to put some new shoes on her, I'd go with these babies:

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

Thanks for the input guys. Brudha, mines the 2WD version and that tire looks a little too off-roadish (lol) for me! I want to stay with something similar in looks with what's on it. Being a 2WD, it never sees any off road stuff. I know Bridgestone has some good tires. I ran different versions on a couple of Mustang Cobra's I had years ago. At first, Goodyear (and Firestone?) wer the ONLY companies that made the tires for these trucks. I think it was a 2 year run or so. Both were higher than a cats ass! Now, others are making them. The hardest part about the tire wear ratings, from what I heard, is that some companies use different guidelines. Oh well, it's a crap shoot like with anything. As long as they make it to 40 or 50K, it's all good. I had a friend that spent a grand on the Michelins for his Ram and loves them. My grandfather swore by Michelins, too. But I dont want to go that crazy on them.

Charles...that was hilarious! Bambi's grandpaw? I literally laughed out loud!

Thanks for any and all input!

AVGUYTX

Glad you enjoyed that.

Used to brag about my wife, said she's the only person I know of who has fired two rounds & killed four deer & wounded one. The only thing more deadly in her hands than a .25-06 is a big chunk of Detroit Iron.

If you ever quit laffin', it'l be more than you can bear.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom