Any Dual service people out there on the West Coast?

dostrye

Hey everyone!

I have a Dual 1219 turntable that I am trying to get serviced, and I would like to keep this work on the West Coast. (I live in the Seattle area). I am the second owner of this turntable, and it is in pristine shape. I am looking for someone experienced with the Dual 1200 series that can go through and clean, re-lube and replace any deteriorated or needed parts. This turntable is fully functional as it sits, but has never been serviced in its 45 +/- years. The only issues (that I can see) are the RCA jack mounting has been pulled from the bracket and needs replaced (along with the jacks). I think the replacement that Pat Leaver provides would be good. Also, the cueing will not stay in the up position. The cueing dampening seems fine, it’s just the lever will not stay up.

With all of that, does anyone know of anyone on the West Coast (preferably) that is experienced, and has a good reputation with Dual’s? Pat Leaver in CA sounded like the perfect person / place, but he backed out due to a couple units that were damaged in shipping. :-( I have also been in contact with Hawthorn Stereo in Seattle, and initially they said they wouldn't touch the Dual. After I explained the condition and that I just wanted a service, they said they would probably be able to do a 'service'. My concerns here are they aren't going to get in deep and probably won't service the single/multi switching assembly. I was really hoping for a seasoned Dual tech to go through this from top to bottom, it is really in such shape that it deserves to get the best treatment I can get it.

I can do the service if it comes to it, I have the technology! And these forums are a BIG help. But as stated above, this TT really deserves someone with experience.

Thanks Everyone!
Dave

I am a Dual turntable repair person and the ONLY individual I trust other than myself is Fred Longworth of Classic Audio Repair [San Diego].
No other 'repair tech' do I trust even the slightest. Not even a little bit.

Listen to Seth (notransistors). Both he and Fred have be around here a lonnng time. One done the 1219 will run a long time. Went through the 1219 pictured 5 years ago. Replaced the stylus once. The NOS Shure’s suspension got tired.

Dave, Hawthorne is capable of servicing thay table. You are also down load a service manual. There are 4 wear items and not a lot of"lube required. John at N. W. Is also quite capable. They are not a Rolex and I have 3 of them And have done my own for 40yrs.
Good luck and N. W. Audio. Do a Google search it will come rt up .it's in Renton. Good luck!

If there is damage by impact or something really off you cane do it. There built like a tank! Have fun. Dont let it intimadate you! Nemo

There is a dearth of good techs these days and some towns have none.

I was a tech for more than 20 years but am now retired, although I still do occasional repairs for a local shop (I've just finished a Tecchnics DD22 and a Pioneer PL-L30). The only other good tech in my town has also retired. There is a single full time tech in my town but I would hesitate to recommend his work as he is overpriced and his work doesn't meet my standards. Over the years I've repaired hundreds of turntables and too many because a previous tech had botched the job.

Fred Longworth and Seth have great reputations and I see no need to doubt them. You could do a whole lot worse than to send your Dual to one of them. I put a new steuerpimple in a 1249 that had previously been serviced by Seth (several years previously) and his workmanship, even after several years, was apparent and praiseworthy. I would not hesitate for a minute to entrust him with mine.

I've heard good things about Hawthorne but understand their turn around time is rather long.

Good luck in your search.

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the advice.
Danj, I was quite surprised when Hawthorn Audio rather quickly said "we wont touch the Dual's, they are very complex".
Nemo Bit, thank you suggesting NW Audio, I will look them up.
And if it comes down to it I'll tackle it myself, I am perfectly capable, :) like I said, I just think it might benefit to have someone that knows the idiosyncrasies of these units go through it.

Listen to Seth (notransistors). Both he and Fred have be around here a lonnng time. One done the 1219 will run a long time. Went through the 1219 pictured 5 years ago. Replaced the stylus once. The NOS Shure’s suspension got tired.

Seconded. On the West Coast, Fred Longworth is your Dual repair guru, he knows classic Dual idlers expertly. He's very recommended by many here.

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the advice.
Danj, I was quite surprised when Hawthorn Audio rather quickly said "we wont touch the Dual's, they are very complex".
Nemo Bit, thank you suggesting NW Audio, I will look them up.
And if it comes down to it I'll tackle it myself, I am perfectly capable, :) like I said, I just think it might benefit to have someone that knows the idiosyncrasies of these units go through it.

Yes, Duals are complex but it's basically all simple mechanics. I don't find them particularly difficult. You wanna see complex, look at the workings of a BSR 810.

I have 2 1229s and a 12 19 plus a couple other dual decks but these are my idlers.
I purchased first a 1229 that said motor was bad 2nd was running but needed a service plus replacement of wear parts and my 1219 which was and is perfect. The 2 nd 1229 as it was running I learned as to what and where along with a downloaded manual it was returned to flawless service and #1 was a matter of cleaning and oil as per specs and really the only thing that was a bold up was for me all the people whom claimed it was not to be attempted. I talked it over with John he told me what not to do ( force lever and the like ) and it was simply not a big deal. I might have done differently had there been any damage but have more than one to use as reference and it was apparent that all was well. All are in use and love em all. Enjoy!
Here is one of a 1229
And 2 of the 1219 note plinth. Unique?20180810_130302.jpg 20180711_204047.jpg 20180711_201548.jpg

Nemo, Nice decks! I've seen that plinth before in other forums, definitely a unique one.
It would be cool if I had a doner / parts deck to have available, but not a reality. I think I am coming to the realization that I am going to need to do this service myself. Since this is in such nice shape, and there is really nothing wrong with it except for the RCA jacks and the queuing, it will be a clean and re-lube. I'm not gonna lie, I am intimidated with the single / multi play part. While I will probably never use the multi play mode, I do want it all in working condition.
I will update this thread as things happen!

Nemo, Nice decks! I've seen that plinth before in other forums, definitely a unique one.
It would be cool if I had a doner / parts deck to have available, but not a reality. I think I am coming to the realization that I am going to need to do this service myself. Since this is in such nice shape, and there is really nothing wrong with it except for the RCA jacks and the queuing, it will be a clean and re-lube. I'm not gonna lie, I am intimidated with the single / multi play part. While I will probably never use the multi play mode, I do want it all in working condition.
I will update this thread as things happen![/QUOT

I work on these. Most issues arent bad. Due to age I quit doing cues to lift the arm. Too many small parts. Arthritis in my hands. If you are playing singles like me I won’t bother with the single/multi play part. My 1219 pictured is stuck on single. Left well enough alone. Have had it 5 years. Replaced a NOS Shure N55 stylus and had to clean and oil the motor again. Came apart easy this time becauseI did it previously. Its my daily driver. My early 1219 and one I will be selling both work. Go figure. I would do the maintainace on it and skip the single/multi. Thinking of buying the tall 45 spindle on EBay to stack 45s for fun, but $75 is a bit steep to play the once or twice a year. Good luck with the repairs. Should not take too long.

Back
Top Bottom