Any experience - rebuilt/mirror imaged cabinets for Infinity Qa, Qb, Q5, RS1.5 etc.?

I'm quite surprised....

the 1.5's have about 10 updates to the crossover, maybe bringing it to the final one would help get the most out of them...

I wanted to reply back to the thread to let everyone know that I did a little work on the RS1.5's and now they are sounding GREAT! I found that one of the watkins woofers was not wired correctly. Once I corrected the wiring issue, the speakers really came alive.

I still have some work to do on the RS1.5s. They have mis-matched woofers (one clear and one grey) but they are both Watkins. I would like to correct this and get back to the correct/matching woofers. I'll need to figure out how to determine which was the correct original model (any recommendations?). I also want to get them on appropriate stands to see if it improves the bass resolution even more.

I'm very happy with the RS1.5s and can only hope they get better if I resolve the stuff mentioned above.

I played around with speaker positioning and listed to the RS1.5s again last night and this morning. They are growing on me. The bass goes considerably lower than the Qb's and they play REALLY LOUD in my small room. I haven't yet got them to image the way the Qb's do in my room, but it's probably a matter of placement. I'll keep working on it. They are still not quite as airy and lively as the Qb's in my room, but that too might get better with attention to placement.

Both my Qb's and the RS1.5's suffer from imbalance with the right side being more pronounced. This is likely a room issue or the fact that the ride side tweeter is outboard and the left side tweeter is inboard due to the lack of mirror imaging.

I bought a pair of original metal stands for the Qb's and they will arrive next week. I look forward to seeing the speakers displayed as intended and also to hear how they sound when placed at the optimum height and angle (at least what Infinity thought was the optimum). I currently have the RS1.5's sitting on top of a pair of speakers putting them 15" off the ground. I did lower them from 18" when I initially listened to them and I like them better a little lower.

Enjoy,

TIC
Sorry to dig up an old thread. What did you end up doing with the 1.5s? Did you mirror image them? Ditch them? I have a pair of 1.5s and after pushing them hard with a high powered tube amp I was able to feel air coming through the seams in the front and rear panels. Figured that if I was going to reseal them I might look at doing a mirror image.

Did you ever use the screws or screw holes on the sides of the speakers to make syands to keep them off of the floor and at the correct angle for time alignment?

M

Often wondered why mirroring factory speakers isn't a more common mod. Doesn't seem it'd be all that difficult to either break down a cabinet or just cut the face out and either reverse or replace it.

Fortunately, not an issue here, so I'm not even tempted to tempt fate ... <G>

mcintosh-xr16-face.jpg

I suppose the biggest decision would be orientation . I'd think putting the tweets to the outside would have more prominent effect on the stage width, which really is what it's all about.

Qb's in a Braun L1030.

After the Qb's cabinets fell apart I found these Brauns at a local garage sale with a couple non working drivers.
They happened to have about the same cabinet volume, so viola!

The cabinets could be placed with the Emits to the inside:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom