Any experience with Class D amps and impressions?

I have Class D integrated amplifiers from Peachtree (ICE modules), Crown XLS, Topping and SMSL. The sound is fantastic. Maybe some of the earlier models were not as good as the new generation. I have used (and still do) many highly regarded Class A/B power amplifiers for over 45 years. They sounded great, too. But not better than the current generation of Class D. Many direct-to-consumer companies have return policies if you are not satisfied with their product.

Some people will swear that their 30-40 year old equipment is "the best". I would take those opinions with a "grain of salt". There are many professional reviews of Class D amplifiers. Do some research and listen for yourself. Anonymous proclamations have no relevance to what your own ears prefer.

Peachtree has a product that may interest you: decco125 SKY
30 day satisfaction guarantee
Bluetooth streaming
Phono inputs
Smaller footprint
Built-in DAC
120W RMS/channel at 8 ohms, super stable and more power at 4 ohms

https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/decco125-sky-amplifier-with-dac.html
True, when I was looking for a new amp a couple years ago, I did consider class D. It was right at a time there was a major tech improvement in Class D which was only at the $3,000+ equipment. I know the tech comes down to lower tiers over time, so I bought a used NAD C272 for less then 15% of the price to let things sort out.
Even if I couldn't tell the difference in sound, my wallet would have nagged me.

Back
Top Bottom