Any experience with Class D amps and impressions?

For truly audiophile performance in Class D, GaN-FET is what you need to make it happen. Pioneer and Technics is already moving their lines in that direction, and have commercially available units with GaN-FET already. The real issue is price point over MOSFET.

That article is from 2016. I wonder if there's anything more recent to report on GaN?
Indeed!
I would think that if the new tech is being encorporated into new products/ chips, it would be promoted and show up in websearches near topside.

I am interested in the Volt+D, does it come with a power supply and is allo.com the best place to get one?

I am interested in the Volt+D, does it come with a power supply and is allo.com the best place to get one?
Afaik, the power supply isn't included, I'd recommend a 24Volt 6A for the Volt+D.
Volumio is the vendor I used for a Volt+D.

How long did it take to get from allo.com? My HK PA2100 is getting flaky and I'm thinking either one of these a FOSI tri-path or a Yaqin MC-10T. The only thing is I do like to play metal a little loud sometimes and these new Wharfedale's I just bought don't have the most efficient specs.

Last edited:
How long did it take to get from allo.com? My HK PA2100 is getting flaky and I'm thinking either one of these a FOSI tri-path or a Yaqin MC-10T. The only thing is I do like to play metal a little loud sometimes and these new Wharfedale's I just bought don't have the most efficient specs.

Not sure but I think it took 2 or 3 weeks from India. The Volt+D would not be a good choice to drive inefficient speakers at high levels.

Echo PGs comment about delivery times for the +D.90Db sensitivity speakers a minimum to hear the best of this amplifier.:)With the right speakers its one truly captivating amp!

Yeah, I went the QSC GX5 route for a while when I had my KG 4.2's. I like the idea of a small form factor so I picked a Emotiva A100 on Amazon today. If 50w x2 does not cut it I'll buy a second one, my pre has two outs so I could run one per side.

For truly audiophile performance in Class D, GaN-FET is what you need to make it happen. Pioneer and Technics is already moving their lines in that direction, and have commercially available units with GaN-FET already. The real issue is price point over MOSFET.
When TI adopts it for their monolithic power chips, we'll see them in affordable common use.

When TI adopts it for their monolithic power chips, we'll see them in affordable common use.
Infineon, one of the leaders in Class D chips, will more than likely be one of the major players since they have had it in the RF space for a while now...

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infin...N.pdf?fileId=5546d462636cc8fb0163aacdd6450ebc

While I find Class D great for some applications, as for the next decade, I'll more than likely stick with good ol' BJT @ 0.0015% THD with Class A performance in my primary listening at home. My M-80 may be 30 years old, but a restoration brings it to new performance. And it sounds great, no matter the power consumption.

Last edited:
A websearch indicates that I live in a cave, these things are apparently going to take over switch mode tech.

Back
Top Bottom