Any fans of modern rap here?

blownsi

I'm an 80's kid, I grew up listening to Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, etc. I followed the rap scene up until the early 2000s but could never get into Kanye or others that sound similar. Remember when 50 Cent said he would quit if Kanye outsold him? I'm pretty sure Kanye won and I left the genre behind.

In the interest of expanding my musical knowledge, who should I check out today?

I'm a big fan of clipping. and took my teenage daughter to a show in a local bar earlier this year. Daveed Diggs is the rapper (won a Tony for his work in Hamilton on Broadway), and the two producers are William Hutson (Rale) and Jonathan Snipes (Captain Ahab). All three have theatre degrees; Hutson recently completed a PhD at UCLA with a dissertation on experimental electronic music. Their Splendor & Misery is an Afrofuturist concept album that was a finalist for a Hugo award this year.

Warning: NSFW lyrics

Last edited:
I admit I am a bit of a bandwagoner. I really enjoy Kendrick Lamar's stuff. I also enjoy RZA's work on the Afro Samurai: Resurrection soundtrack (I was less impressed with the Afro Samurai soundtrack, but the cover looks awesome).

I am still exploring and learning, slowly.

I'm an 80's kid, I grew up listening to Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, etc. I followed the rap scene up until the early 2000s but could never get into Kanye or others that sound similar. Remember when 50 Cent said he would quit if Kanye outsold him? I'm pretty sure Kanye won and I left the genre behind.

In the interest of expanding my musical knowledge, who should I check out today?

Try a great rap group called Beautiful Eulogy

I'm a big fan of the music, the rhythms, and beats! The current lyrics leave a lot to be desired!
I'm not really sure if any progressive artists are getting any air play. I know is not much help, but I listen to whatever the daughter and son are listening to.

I love it. It's a lot of what I listen to now. I'm a big fan of Kendrick Lamar, ATCQ, Rapsody, and a lot of old school stuff like Public Enemy, De La Soul, The Roots, et al.

Back
Top Bottom