Any Friends of Bill W here @ AudioKarma

I stopped drinking on March 6, 1987. In doing so, I saved my life and took a fresh direction.

I made a lot of new friends, earned a college degee, got married, divorced, had a child and learned to fight ESRD.

Two of my best friends from the old days are now deceased. They were supportive of me and my walk. I think of them as one died snorting coke and the other drankhimself to death. I lost another friend to AIDS after he had a few years sobriety. He ran into some people he knew who used and before long was shooting coke. That is how he got infected. It cost him his life.

I worked with his mother. He was the only child and his passing absolutely destroyed her.

This is serious stuff.
Sorry to hear this but it is the reality of that way of life.

TOTALLY SERIOUS STUFF. I was at a Narcotics Anonymous conference for a open speaker mtg. After the readings the guy did something cool but sad. He asked the crowd to say out loud a persons name you have lost (Death) to addiction. when 300 people start saying all these diff names you get to feel this wide path of destruction. I myself have posted here about friends dying or committing suicide. I have had to wipe the tears away while typing or reading some of these posts. Thanks Guys

Same here. I was relieved to find out I only had to worry about one day at a time instead of forever. The promises came true

Way to go, This thread has been an inspiration in my journey, Coming up on six years.
For me, the first five years were the most challenging. I had family that drank, a grandmother that did not support my effort and said "You don't have a drinking problem, you have a control problem" as she poured a Jim Beam.

I learned to get a hotel room when visiting family, and when the sheeeeet starts, head out.

Congratulations!

Well yesterday was my 22 year anniversary of sobriety. The wife and I went out for a great Prime Rib dinner. LIFE IS GOOD

Congratulations. It's always an inspiration to read about the success stories. Sharing experience, strength and hope while living sober, one day at a time.

Back
Top Bottom