Any guesses on this cartridge?

Hajidub

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
IMG_0019.JPG Unmarked on my latest Elac 50H pickup. The top portion is blue. Thanks for any help.

The body is the wrong shape for any Empire. It's an Acutex, specifically a 207II, not the later LPM 207II E but the earlier Excel made (?) version.

medium

As Zaphod Beeblebrox said, "We are not gonna be amazing, we are gonna be... amazingly amazing!" Whereupon Marvin intones "Sounds awful."
But no, this cartridge can sound quite good, though I haven't heard it with the Empirish stylus.
stylus alternate for M207 II also fits M206 II a10027.jpg
That Acutex M206 II / M207 IIE cartridge is weird, because it's usually found with a boringly normal-looking stylus (Pfanstiehl 118-D7 or DE), the one you'd find in an Excel ME-35...
1Capture.JPG
...or one of its many clones (Rega, Audio Reflex, Sonovox, Jelco, Westrak, Eurofunk, Acos, Tectron, Kyowa, Supex, &c). But every once in a while, that strange stylus appears, associated with Acutex. I don't know if it's strictly aftermarket or came with one of the clones, but there it is. It's a moving-magnet cartridge, so an Empire stylus won't work, darn it.

Last edited:
And if you really want to go nuts, there's the Astatic NMR EX105-qd with tie wire and Shibata stylus, currently on eBay. Quite good (I have this one and the one boreas pointed to).
Astatic quad (mine, Mar 2018)a.jpg

But Hajidub, how does the cartridge sound at the moment? Is that Empirey stylus in good shape, and/or can you tell whether it's a conical or an elliptical?

Last edited:
And if you really want to go nuts, there's the Astatic NMR EX105-qd with tie wire and Shibata stylus, currently on eBay. Quite good.
View attachment 1329777

But Hajidub, how does the cartridge sound at the moment? Is that Empirey stylus in good shape, and/or can you tell whether it's a conical or an elliptical?

Really not sure, it sounds pretty good, but I like to have spares on hand

What a recommendation Boreas! It sounds like a much more expensive stylus, very detailed and balanced!

Glad you're enjoying it. It was a very pleasant surprise to me too but that Excel body has a lot to do with its goodness.

As Zaphod Beeblebrox said, "We are not gonna be amazing, we are gonna be... amazingly amazing!" Whereupon Marvin intones "Sounds awful."
But no, this cartridge can sound quite good, though I haven't heard it with the Empirish stylus.
View attachment 1329381
That Acutex M206 II / M207 IIE cartridge is weird, because it's usually found with a boringly normal-looking stylus (Pfanstiehl 118-D7 or DE), the one you'd find in an Excel ME-35...
View attachment 1329382
...or one of its many clones (Rega, Sanyo, Westrak, Eurofunk, Acos, Supex, &c). But every once in a while, that strange stylus appears. I don't know if it's strictly aftermarket or came with one of the clones, but there it is. It's a moving-magnet cartridge, so an Empire stylus won't work, darn it.

I'm amazed you worked a Hitchhiker's ref into this discussion. Made my morning!

Back
Top Bottom