Any idea what these speakers are (description)

Sugardawg34

What first got me into vintage stuff was my uncle who worked at an audio store and had an unbelievable stereo setup with Pioneer, McIntosh, and who knows what else. I dont know what those speakers were though, I just remember the feeling in my gut. WOW they were amazing. They were about 7 or 8 feet tall with white or tweedish kind of grills. If I remember correctly they had like 2 woofers each at the bottom(15", maybe 12"), and were stacked up to the ceiling with mids and tweets. They were NOT typical tower speakers, they were like some wide bookshelf speakers stretched upward. Definitely bought around late 70s to 1980, white fiber cones and fabric surrounds I believe.
Thats a lot of random info I know, but I have never seen anything like them since...anywhere, and they were amazing.

Last edited:
White cones

could be JBL or Philips. I have a set of Philips 15" with white cones but they have foam surrounds. I've seen them in DIY boxes so could be the ones you saw were custom or DIY.

Sounds a lot like Bozaks, apart from the white cone thing -- sure they weren't greyish? The Bozaks used a felt type cone material that was sort of grey, and used multiples of all drivers as the speakers got bigger, and they did get really bigger -- subzero refrigerator size -- with sound to match. I almost bought a pair of Concertos, but the seller was a soundtrack fan and played the beginning of Jurassic Park so loud (the thunder was louder than real) and I got so addled by it that I had to leave. My mistake.

Back
Top Bottom