Any ideals why Yamaha hasn't offered a new turntable??

I found a picture of another Yamaha turntable on the Yamaha site:
xda-qs_fig05_900x518_5ba304de26af82c822e801ac4474c963.jpg

Maybe Yamaha will bring out another cheaper turntable
Quite possibly. But I'll be surprised to see they are not OEMs like Hanpin.

I remember that the Yamaha GT-2000 had the JVC/Technics modified direct drive motor.

Could there be another Technics direct drive / Yamaha designed turn table in the future ?

Wondering what the Japanese audio fanatics have to speculate on their forums.....:rolleyes: :biggrin: :idea:
Are the new Technics direct drive motors the first brand new turntable direct drive motors made by a Japanese company in decades?

Quite possibly. But I'll be surprised to see they are not OEMs like Hanpin.
I agree. Even though the styling has been made to be reminiscent of the GT 2000 series, there is a strong resemblance to the Denon Hanpin release from about 5 years ago. Unlike Technics who produced their own brand new turntables in Japan, it appears that Yamaha have given the world another Hanpin.

Are the new Technics direct drive motors the first brand new turntable direct drive motors made by a Japanese company in decades?
Think so. Not many places on the planet that manufacture turntables, be it direct or belt drives. Curious who did the Luxman turntables.

There have been a few non-Japanese direct drives made in the last decade: Teres Certus, 3 models of Grand Prix Audio Monaco, 2 from Brinkmann, VPI. There are more that I can't recall. They all use different motors if I recall correctly.

I found a picture of another Yamaha turntable on the Yamaha site:
xda-qs_fig05_900x518_5ba304de26af82c822e801ac4474c963.jpg

Maybe Yamaha will bring out another cheaper turntable

That's the crossfit version. The 5000 is the empty inflated synthol version and the 2000, 2000L & 2000x are the original full-on growth hormone/chemically enhanced mutants.

Yes the Technics motors are the brand new ones so far.

There may have been others in the process. :idea:

Yamaha was developing a direct drive motor up till about two year ago and then stop.

The head phone market is rocket hot compared to turntables these days. There are more orthodynamic head phones choices now than when Yamaha pioneered them. Most of them are speedy. Just like with their turntables at two steps below TOTL (ignoring flagship mystique builders) they didn’t have market share then so they don’t have marketable history to capitalize on now. I was one of the very few who dropped $200 on the HP-1’s back in 76. There’s just no market.

As much as I hate to say it I'd go for a new Technics 1200 over the GT5000 in a heartbeat. I like the looks of the Yamaha better but a belt drive with a funky arm is not something that I'm into.
I would pair it with the other 5000 gear happily.
I wonder if they will even bother bringing any of it stateside. I am honestly interested in the C-5000. I wouldn't mind having a new, remote control capable pre to pair up with my M-2 or B-2x.

I have always preferred and enjoyed the epoxy-resin Kenwood KD-500 or 550 with a SME 3009 arm. I haven't done vinyl in decades.

As much as I hate to say it I'd go for a new Technics 1200 over the GT5000 in a heartbeat. I like the looks of the Yamaha better but a belt drive with a funky arm is not something that I'm into.
I would pair it with the other 5000 gear happily.
I wonder if they will even bother bringing any of it stateside. I am honestly interested in the C-5000. I wouldn't mind having a new, remote control capable pre to pair up with my M-2 or B-2x.
I agree heartily.

As mentioned in post #39, I truly hope that Yamaha does comes out with this cheaper model and include sales to the North American markets. I agree, it very much looks like a very scaled down version of their 5000 series turntsble, which for me, isvay out of my price range.

Heck, I'm only pushing their silver A-S801 and a silver CD-S700, CD-C600 as well as a silver T-S500, which only gets FM stations in the U.S... That turntable would go great with my system!!

Yamaha really disappoints on it's new turntable. It should be direct drive ( a lot of speed control advances have been developed since the 90s) or just don't make it.
As for Technics, yes, the best modern turntable. I disagree on it being a new motor design. It looks more like an improvement on the old motor(available on the 1600, 1700, 1800 and 1200, the mkIIs, that was made until 2010. I'm sure the electronic controls boards are new designs.

Yep. Technics get a pat on the back. Yamaha get a: "If that's all you can provide, why bother?".

I'm puzzled by the dismissal of the GT-5000 without having heard it. Yamaha made some fine belt drive turntables, and the GT-5000 will be the best belt drive turntable that Yamaha has manufactured.

The straight tonearm without offset is a bold move by Yamaha. They didn't have to do that. If it isn't a damned fine arm it will be panned mercilessly.

For me, if they didn't call it a 'GT', I might be more sympathetic. Given the precedent set by the true GTs they needed to do better than Hanpin.

Back
Top Bottom