Any Infinity experts here?

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by tom1356, Feb 11, 2006.

1. tom1356

tom1356 Super Member

Would anyone know anything about the Infinity Monitor 1A Loudspeakers. Circa 1974. A three way floor stander with what may be an inverted walsh tweeter??
    Thanks
    Tom

2. Charivari

Charivari Fighting Naïve Realism

Infinity experts? Well, I like to don the Infinity cap every once in a while and make play at being knowledgeable on the subject. So, I'll give helping you a shot.

For your model, you can find some information and the brochure at this Infinity Classics page.

IIrc, the Monitor series were reasonably well-regarded speakers thanks in large part to the Walsh tweeter. However, the cost of licensing the technology proved to be prohibitive, so Arnie Nudell et al decided to invent a better driver -- the EMIT that came out with the next series, the Quantum Line Source.

- JP

3. tom1356

tom1356 Super Member

Wow that was quick! :) That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! I wonder why Google didn't turn that up. Just FYI the original owner said he paid $900 for them.
    Thanks again
    tom

4. cableguy

cableguy In Twang We Trust

:ntwrthy:

5. macaltec

macaltec Metal Master Subscriber

Show off :yes: . Who's next, anyone? I'd be curious to here them with a spec of 22Hz's for the low range :scratch2: . I'm no expert but I know what sounds good.

mac

6. russkish

russkish Active Member

I remember this speaker well. I am not sure it sold for as much as 900 at the time, but it was probably pretty close to that. I heard this speaker on several occasions when it was a popular model in the Infinity line, and it was a wonderful speaker. The Walsh tweeter really gave this speaker some tremendous imaging capabilities, and the midrange and large woofer were not bad either. This was a sweet sounding floorstander.

7. Nakdoc

Nakdoc nakamichi spoken here

Take care of the walsh tweeters. They are no longer available. The cabinet is ported. Infinity would put heavy goop on the woofer to move the low frequency resonance down, but I'm sure the 22Hz is a lie. These speakers do image well, and are rock and roll in balance.

8. Charivari

The specs don't include the +/- dB data. So, they could very well reach 22 Hz, though they could very well be 12 dB down by that point. This is all too common with speakers as a means for the manufacturer to advertise a more impressive freq response than could ever be reached in the typical +/-3dB measure. However, Infinity tended to be much more honest with their better offerings than many of their contemporaries. So, though they're likely down further than 3 dB at 22 Hz, in room the response may actually be not that much more down.

Now, if that bass driver was a Watkins driver, I'd scoff at the 22 Hz measure and consider it much too conservative. I've measured mine doing incredible things.

- JP

9. Nakdoc

Nakdoc nakamichi spoken here

Have you ever heard the DSOTM heartbeat through Infinitesimals? These had 4" watkins woofers and wouldn't double until you got moderately loud.

10. Charivari

'Fraid not, but I'd love to get my hands on a pair someday. I hear they're supposed to have incredible sound for such little speakers, which size-to-performance were only surpassed by Infinity's later Modulus system (that I'd really love to have). When I mentioned the Watkins woofers, I wasn't talking about the 5" in the Infinitesimal, but the 12" that was the standard in the higher end models through several series back in the late '70s through the early '80s.

[​IMG]

- JP

11. taineasy

taineasy New Member

Original specs on the monitor 1A are as follows:
    26 Hz to 32 Khz +/- 4 db
    33 Hz to 21 Khz +/- 2 db
    Max Power: 200 watts per channel
    Min Power: 35 watts per channel
    Crossover: 500 Hz, 5000 Hz
    Dimensions: 38" H, 14" W, 13" Deep
    Bass is transmission line loaded/vented
    I purchased these new after trading in my dad's 2000A's and still use them. Much preferred these to the 2000's .
    Bass plays with authority and detail down to 24/25 Hz ( more detailed and a much more natural timber than the poly-cones likw the watkins). One of the most natural sounding speakers I have ever heard. HF response is pretty much to "infinity" as the mass per unit is lighter than air to beyond 30 Khz. Unfortunately infinity had no choice but to add a low tweeter to the model 2a as most 1A owners were blowing the Walsh's with low powered amp turned up to high. Warranty repairs were getting out of hand so they added the peerless but in my opinion hurt the overall sound

12. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Early Monitor owners may have damaged their Walsh tweeters but not because of low powered amps but probably because the Walsh was being overdriven for what it was capable, imo.

I'm curious as to the crossover points of the original monitor, de Classic site only has 1200Hz listed.
    Does this model even employ a crossover for the Walsh at full signal???

I'd definitely like to find out how low a frquency the Walsh can play successfully:idea:

13. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

I'm not sure which model you are referring to, any pics?

14. taineasy

taineasy New Member

These are specs for the original Infinity Monitor 1a. I have the speakers and the original spec brochure. The 1a is a mid 1970's three-way tower with 12" Infinity designed woofer and dome mid with the Walsh tweeter/super tweeter. The subsequent Monitor 11 looked similar but had a dome low tweeter added with a new crossover and some cabinet changes.

15. Coastsider

Coastsider Curmudgeon

In those early Infinity models most of the drivers were sourced from other manufacturers. The 12" woofers in the mid-70's Monitor series as well as the 2000II's, 2000AXT's, and several other smaller models like the 1001A were actually manufactured by CTS and modified by Infinity with the doping that is present to one degree or another on the cones. CTS made guitar speakers and amps.