ANy info on Sansui SP-X9 Speakers

blurghy

Audiophool
I know where a pair are in excellent condition and I am considering getting them. WHat would be a decent price to get them for.

Also, any info on these speakers and their sound quality?

Never heard 'em

SANSUI SPK, SP-X 9
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1981 - 1983
Additional Information:
Retail
MSRP: $800.00
USED: $110.00
Wholesale
Mint: $65.00
Average: $36.00

I'm not a Sansui speaker guy, but those should be TOTL, and if they pass the heft and knuckle-rap tests, mebbe you should give 'em a try.
The heft test-- are they heavy for their size. Knuckle-rap-- listen for a dead thud, no tinkle or ringing.
Then, can you audition 'em before buying? Their sound is the ultimate test.

Is this what youre referring to?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078724634&category=14993

Or if youre into mono :rolleyes: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3079204338&category=14993

If youre looking for a pair of inexpensive, vintage speakers that really sound good, what I'd recommend instead from what is currently available on Ebay is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078973601&category=14993

and should you be interested, ask the seller if he has the grille covers, since he doesnt make that clear in his auction, nor does he realize they were discontinued earlier than '83 as the RSa, the followup to the Qa, was imntroduced in 1980/81. Regardless, $100 BIN is pretty good and it'll sound alot better than just about any Sansui speaker.

B/F

Thanks, I'm on it

Actually, I have tons of speakers and i think I'll buy the ones I am checking out just because I can get them cheap.
I'll decide from there what to do. I had a pair of QA infinities about a year or so ago and eventually sold them on E bay. They sound pretty good but they weren't terribly efficient.

I'm running mostly JBl's currently but I'm switching to some Polk Audio which I'm really getting to like.

I'lll try to grab them tomorrow

Sansui speakers

I'm not huge on Sansui Speakers myself. I have a pair of SP 2700's and SP 1200's and they are pretty good. I had a pair of AS 300's that i sold on E bay a few noths back that sounded better than any of the others.
SP 3000's are nice also.
But none can compare to JBL's in my book.

Sansui speakers are unquestionably more efficient, but IMO, what matters alot more is how speakers actually sound, and in that regard, IMO- vintage Infinity's sound alot better. And they are not that inefficient whereby any decent Sansui receiver (G-5500, 7070 for example) would have any trouble to drive them. But anyhow, if you already had a pair of Qa's and youre looking to try out a few more things, so be it, I gave you the best suggestion I could for the price. As far as Infinity goes, they made some tremendous speakers, but those particular models would cost quite a bit more than 100 bucks. In that price range, the Infinity Qb, Qa, and Qe's are very good choices.

B/F

If you can buy them cheap or at least reasonable. If you don't like them you could always sell em on ePay. I personally like my pair of SP-X9900's:D :D which are VERY similar to the SP-X9's They do seem to be a bit power hungry. Which I will soon be rectifying. Thought I was going to have my BIG receiver out of the shop last week.:(

For now I like being a pureist and as soon as I get the receiver I'll be driving Sansui w/ Sansui. I had a smaller MUCH smaller setup back in the day all Sansui. They sounded great back then. Rattle your next door neighbor's windows LOUD. Probably not audiophile quality. It's a matter of personal choice anyway.

If you don't like 'em you could always donate them to a fellow AKer.....:D :D :D I'll PM you my address :yippy:

I run SP-1500, SP2500, SP-3500, SP-2000 and several others at various times with a class a valve amp with 12 watts. Plenty loud and not distorting. These are very efficient loudspeakers. Now I have also run them with 160 watt Yamaha and they were more like PA speakers in that setting. Very good PA speakers. Now, they are not to everyone's liking. They can be a little stingy on the really deep bass same as Klipsch Heresy. They can be a little forward in the mids like JBL and some Pioneer.

Frankly, they are no my favorites with high power transistor amps. But with low power tubes, they are the cat's meow!

Oh, and some models, especially the X and Z models, sound nearly identical to the big Kenwood and Coral speakers from the period. Probably came from same factory or used same parts. Who knows?

Back
Top Bottom