any info on this one?

Originally posted by chilchil
just grabbed this for 25 euros

very nice looking!

I have no official info on this unit, such as model # or year of manufacture, but I have an opinion, if that helps.

Don't take this wrong, but the Fisher Studio Standard stuff is the equivalent of Sanyo stuff, at least in terms of quality in the audio component world. Come to think of it, Fisher is OWNED by Sanyo. In the early days of hi-fi, Fisher equipment was high quality, well respected stuff. But things have changed...

That player was probably part of a $500 "rack" system of the late 1980's.

IMHO, probably not worth the $25 you paid for it, but heck, if it works fine, who's to say?

Did it come with a remote?

Jeff
P.S. FWIW, I checked the values of 3 different Fisher CD players using Orion Blue Book. I didn't have the specific model#, so I arbitrarily chose 3 from the late 1980's. The retail values ranged from a low of $9, to a high of $26.

ok I see!

but it looks very robust and heavy, so I couldn't believe it was a wrong buy! and it works perfectly, so... no regret ;-)

thanks for information

ps model is ad-530

Originally posted by chilchil
ok I see!

but it looks very robust and heavy, so I couldn't believe it was a wrong buy! and it works perfectly, so... no regret ;-)

thanks for information

ps model is ad-530

Hey chilchil,

If it's solidly built and works well, I'd say you got a fair deal! I just wanted to make it clear that you didn't get a $1000 player for $25 (would've been nice though!). Checked the model # with orion blue book, but the model you have isn't listed. I'm assuming that the model #s in orion are American models, explaining why yours isn't listed.

Sorry I can't be more help. :(

About a week ago, my ex-wife's boyfriend gave me 1986 Sony CDP110 that wasn't working correctly and was in storage for 10 years at his parents house. After an hour of cleaning/lubing and a couple minor adjustments, the thing works perfectly. Hey dude, thanks for the FREE cd player!:D :D It looks VERY similar to your Fisher, and I'm really enjoying it in my vintage system.

Anyway, you're very welcome for the little useful info I provided. Have a great weekend!

Jeff

Last edited:
It looks very old skool. It would be ok for a second or third system.

Last edited:
In fact, I use it in parallel with my denon cd player, and I switch sometimes, for no particular reason!

I just inherited a complete 42-year old Fisher Studio Standard rack system from my aunt complete with a LOAD of 33 lp's. It is in excellent shape as it was hardly used. Back in the early 80's when she bought it, she paid over $800 which was no small change back then. I am now looking for the CD component. Can you suggest where I may find one?? Thanks! :banana:

LilMizMargi said:
I just inherited a complete 42-year old Fisher Studio Standard rack system from my aunt complete with a LOAD of 33 lp's. It is in excellent shape as it was hardly used. Back in the early 80's when she bought it, she paid over $800 which was no small change back then. I am now looking for the CD component. Can you suggest where I may find one?? Thanks! :banana:

I'm guessing that you meant "22-year old" as opposed to 42. Contrary to what YOU might think, $800 is not a lot to spend on a stereo system, and rack systems have never been a particularly good value for the money. That being said, i certainly wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, and would make good use of it. :D

Is there a specific reason why you would like a Fisher CD player, when ANY CD player would do? Do you know what model number you are looking for?

Jeff

That looks like an early 80's Fisher unit that used Yamaha components in it. If you pop the top you will probably find several IC's whith the yamaha logo on them. Contrary to popular belief, this is not a bad player!
Travis

<< That being said, i certainly wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, and would make good use of it. Is there a specific reason why you would like a Fisher CD player, when ANY CD player would do? Do you know what model number you are looking for? >>

Jeff, I agree about the gift horse comment........and did not mean to say $800 was a lot of money to spend on a stereo by any means but rather that $800 22 years ago was not what it is today! Frankly, I did not have a sound system at all and I am rather enjoying having this one. I particularly like listening to my old 33 lp's...and my 19-year-old son is too! It was a joy watching him laid back on the sofa listening to Arthur Fiedler conducting the Nutcracker Suite!

I wrote to Sanyo Fisher and they replied that there are no components available for this rack system. This is what they said, "We are happy that the 3980 is still working! This model was first available in 1985. Unfortunately, Sanyo Fisher no longer sells CD changers. You can purchase another branded CD changer, and it will connect in the back where it says 'aux' or 'CD'. You will connect the power cord into your wall outlet to turn on the power separately from the system. You may have difficultly finding a CD changer that will fit inside the cabinet. We do believe that the rack and components are smaller than the current standard 17" width audio component size."

I asked about a Fisher because I am a nephyte and do not really know what to get in way of a CD player that will work with the system. Any suggestions????

Back
Top Bottom