Any Kenwood KR-6400 Owners Here?

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by matt001, Mar 6, 2006.

1. matt001

matt001 Ak member

Are there any Kenwood KR-6400 Owners Here Other Then me?

What do you think of this receiver? :beatnik:

Cheers,matt :beerchug:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Unican_Eric

Unican_Eric Pioneerious Collecticus

Sorry, I have the KR 5400. But I am impressed with the sound and tuner section for this little fellow. I am sure yours must sound just as good.

Post number 14. http://206.225.95.32/forums/showthread.php?t=59277

Does it look like this mine? What are the differences that you can see?

3. scenicdive

scenicdive Default to Kenwood

Kr-7400

I've recently acquired a KR-7400 which I've been using frequently. I especially like the FM tuner. It has 2 dual-gate MOSFETs in the RF stage but no narrow setting. 63 watts - perfect for a townhouse. See attachment.

Attached Files:

4. Vinylhammer

Vinylhammer headbanger

I had one for about a week but just returned it. I found it hard to believe that it was only rated 45 watts/channel. That sucker will bring your walls down if you want it to. Nice tuner and no shortage of power. I found the phono section to be the achilles heel. Just gave a reverb effect to records, made me feel like I was in a cave. It had to go, of course it could have had a bad circuit, it is about 30 years old. How does your phono section sound?

Careful with that 63 watts, Scenicdive, you could start a war with your neighbors with that little beast.

5. Mikeymax

Mikeymax Active Member

I've got several ol' KENWOODS. But as close as I can come is the KR-6200 which I picked up in "Georeous" / fully fuctional shape last month for $20.00 from a guy across town. He said he listed it on ePay and it did not sell , so he said I could have it for 20 Bux...I am ((("MORE"))) than satisfied with this KR-6200... I believe it's 45 wpc and sounds fine. Almost tube like in a very small way. Don't know the difference between you're KR-6400 & my 6200 though. I just sold a KR-7070A receiver with blown output trans? for $20.00. Damn , I sure wish that unit would have worked. But I got it curbside so there ya go !

6. matt001

matt001 Ak member

Yeah it is pretty under rated.The phono section is really nice and smooth. :banana:

But mine seems to have alot of constant hiss. :tears:

7. thefragger

thefragger Certified Crazy.

I just found this thread, so I'm drudging it up to say that I've got one! I bought it from a guy that was moving out of his place, at night. It was pretty shady, and I very well could have been killed (four of them vs. me and my girlfriend), but that was the best $15 ever spent (actually, they couldn't break a 20, so girlfriend whipped out three 5s and we got out fast).

The stereo lamp is burnt out, and one of the lamps on the dial, but it sounds wicked, much more sensitive than my Sansui T-60, imho.

Cheers, mate.

Attached Files:

8. superdog

superdog AK Member

That experience should make you appreciate it even more. I don't have a 6400 but do have a 9400 and if it is anything close you did good.

9. matt001

matt001 Ak member

Wow, this is old.

Matt

10. getright99

getright99 least likely to succeed

i have one in pieces right now. needs caps, lamps, etc..... alot of help. for a 45 wpc amp it's huge.

11. 10seventy9

10seventy9 Active Member

I have been on a quest for a receiver for the past week or two. I picked up a set of Radio Shack Minimus 7's for a small system for the bedroom, and I was talking to a friend, who had a KR-6400 put up in the closet and he gave it to me! My question is, do you think it's safe to use with the 40-watt Minimus 7's, since this is only going to be a bedroom system and not really run loud at all? It's not that much of a wattage mismatch, at least on paper, but I am also aware that older receivers often had more output in actuality than what they were rated at, too.....

12. cpmschd

cpmschd No Distortion

If it sounds good, then your speakers should be OK. If things start to sound bad, you are driving the speakers past their power handling maximum. Tweeters are the first to blow and it may not take much. For speakers that can handle the amp's power output, if it sounds bad, then it is the amp clipping (distortion) as opposed to speaker distortion -- but it is still bad for your speakers. Just find the max position on your volume knob where all is good and don't crank it past that point. You can also put a fuse on either the positive or the negative lead, but I can't remember the "equation" off-hand (for sizing the fuse).

P.S. -- I also have a KR-6400 (sitting a shelf at the moment). I bought it for my son (14 years old) -- $100 mint condition and "serviced" - but then a KA-6100 and KT-6500 combo showed-up on CL for $125 and I bought them (they look very cool... bright shiny silver) -- so, the 6400 is sitting on the sidelines right now. I think it is a pretty good receiver for its class.

13. 10seventy9

10seventy9 Active Member

Well, I hooked it up a few minutes ago, and it all sounds fantastic, so I think all is well. No obvious clipping or issues that I can hear. I had sort of forgotten just how good the Minimus 7's actually are. They sound awfully big for their size. I already have an older Sony discman with an actual line out as opposed to just using the headphone output, so I now have a small system for my bedroom for a total investment of $33 for the speakers. I'm pretty happy, needless to say. I'm surprised at how strong the FM tuner in the KR-6400 is. I live on the downside of a hill and it is pulling stations in like a champ, with only a dipole wire antenna. Now all I have to do is get my turntable out and hook it up...

14. malanga

malanga Well-Known Member

I recently picked one of these up at a Salvation Army for $8.00. It was only missing one knob which a fellow AKer was kind enough to send me. I really feel these old Kenwoods are underrated: seems like brands like Marantz, Pioneer etc. get the most attention. This receiver is built like a tank. Everything functioned beautifully without any scratchiness in the pots. All the bulbs are working fine. I looked inside and everything looks stock, so I doubt anyone has been inside this in quite some time. I hooked up a pair of Minimus 7s and man, this amp can crank! Hard to believe it is only 45 watts per channel. I plan to rotate this one into my system once I finish giving it a good cleaning and polishing. I'm quite eager to hear how this sounds with my EPIs. :music:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  15. The Swede

The Swede Member

Kr 6400

Hi Matt

I have a KR 5400. Bought it a couple of weeks ago, 30 bucks in mint condition. Its a very, very fine receiver. Im normally a HK/Marantz guy, but the Kenny is as good or better. Take good care of your KR 6400!

The Swede

16. juncers

juncers Reasonably skeptical about everything

I've had one for a few years now---I agree with all the above. The tuner is excellent also for a mid priced receiver.

Ray

17. stereofisher

stereofisher For the Love of the Music Subscriber

Got a KR5400

I am normally a Pioneer guy. Found a dirty 5400 at the landfill. Dirty with ratty fake wood side panels. Tossed them. The metal cabinet looks fine. Cleaned the pots and the tuner. It now is the center of the shop system. Run JBL L100 Have two Dual tables on it with two Teacs. A reel to reel and a cassette. It sounds great with good FM.

Picked up two more. A KR 5200 and a KR 7200. Both are good units. I have the Kenwood KR 5200 in my sleeping quarters. I start and end the day with this receiver. Good FM section. Have a Dual 1019 and a Sony CD player. Sounds great through a pair of baby Advents!

My 7200 needs a little more TLC. Will be fixing this up as time permits.. All three are good performers. Want a KR 6400. Enjoy yours,

Eric:music:

18. Electone

Electone Well-Known Member

Just picked up a nice condition KR-6400 today. I gave it a cleaning, but it wasn't that dirty to begin with. All the switches and dials are noise free and it works flawlessly. The lights on the tuning display are a little dimmer than some of the photos I've seen on the net. Looks like the bulbs may need replacing soon. I'm trying to figure out whether to use it or my trusty NAD 3240 for living room duty. They sound different, the Kenwood is warmer and has much more bottom end. The NAD is cleaner and a little more detailed. Tuner is very sensitive. I'm pulling in a station from Cleveland and I'm in Ontario.

[​IMG]

19. camusmuse

camusmuse New Member

Old thread for and old classic. My father bought one of these new in the 70's....ran it on a pair of custom 12" Altec speakers for over thirty years. Sounded very tube like, but got pretty loud when cranked. Its what got me started in hi-fi. I didnt have something better until I got a CJ Pv1 with a pair of dynaco st-70s on some Infinity Quantum 5's that I rebuilt in the late 90's.

Still have all my dad's old gear....took apart the altec speakers...surprisingly the woofers were mismatched. 601a and a 600b. Paired the 601a to keep the system alive, the 600b has cracks in the surround unfortunately. Both the duplex horns have bad diaphragms.....still working on a solution.

The Kenwood is still plugging along, though the switches are starting to wear a bit thin.....been cleaned twice. Not sure how much metal is left on the contacts. If they are toast, I will gladly rebuild....

20. BC3

BC3 New Member

Old post I know. But thought I'd choose this one to be my first posting here. I have a Kenwood kr6020. It was my dad's. I inherited from him. I love it. It's also what got me into all this. My dad recently passed away and I use it with pride and memories.