Any Laser Disc fans here?

Rex Everything

are you Shpongled?
Subscriber
This is my first post in this forum and I was just curious if there were any fans of Laser Disc on here.

I went to a garage sale today that had advertised stereo gear. There were a few cool pieces but nothing I took home in the audio department.

The guy did have several laser disc players and a fine collection of laser discs. I figured since I was into vintage I may as well give an old format a chance as I had only used laser disc' maybe once or twice back in the early/mid 80's.

Here is what I picked up. If you have any info or comments please post up.

Pioneer CLD-3080 CD/CDV/LD player with manual and remote and the following laser discs

James Bond:
Dr. No, Gold Finger, From Russia With Love, Thunderball, Man With The Golden Gun, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only and A View To A Kill

The Doors
Jackie Brown
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Bladerunner
Caddy Shack
Cool Hand Luke
Good Fellas
National Lampoons Animal House
" " Vacation
Mad Max
The Road Warrior
The Shining
The Naked Gun
" " 2 1/2
" " 33 1/3
Howard Stern's Private Parts
Braveheart
Apocalypse Now
Airplane!
Clockwork Orange
Sling Blade
The Thing
Patton
Original Star Wars Trilogy Box Set

All of these movies are "Deluxe Editions" that are in widescreen.

Nice score! I like your taste in movies. I would love to pick up that kind of stuff but they seem to be hard to find for a decent price. Major score on the James Bond flicks!

I wish that my mother hadn't thrown away a 3+ foot high stack of LaserDiscs back in 1995. My player crapped out a couple of years ago (Pioneer CLD-M90, best CD player I have ever heard). Still looking for a replacement. I do love LaserDiscs, though.

A funny story:
When I was in 8th grade, my science teacher had to play a laserDisc and she didn't know how. I laughed for about 20 minutes, and then showed her how to do it.

I've been looking at getting one. A guy had one on Ebay I wanted with a nice collection of movies but didn't take paypal. I got burned once paying with a money order and will never do it again.

I'm sure I will end up getting one sooner or later. Just being patient to find a nice one at a decent price. Hope you have fun with yours.

Yep, I enjoy playing Laser Discs as well. Surprisingly, their video specifications aren't too far from DVD (480 lines vs. 540), which means their picture quality is pretty good. In fact, some LDs have better pictures than their comparable DVDs due to added sharpening. The audio is by far superior to DVD being uncompressed PCM. I enjoy impressing my friends with my T2 LD when they hear how much better it sounds even than the eXtreme edition DVD.

- JP

CLD-D504 here with a stack of discs. A lot of unusual stuff, like a small assortment of NASA stuff from the 70's / 80's, a ton of Opera / Jazz.

Big reason for keeping it around is the Disney collection. Replacing all of that with DVD's would kill me.

The kiddo loves the karaoke feature.

I love my LD player...only have a few discs...haven't been purchasing laserdiscs lately since I don't have a TV...fired up my machine (Panasonic LX200U) a few days ago and watched some flicks...then hooked it to a DVD burner and burned some onto DVD just for kicks...old friend of mine said he'll give me his old player and all his discs...we'll see...hope so.

I just bought my fist LD a few weeks ago with 150 discs. I really enjoy it. Just something about the size and weight of the discs that fascinates me:) I am on the ,ookout now for more discs.

I have two players and a modest collection of disks. It's a great format and I'm always on the hunt for more disks although I don't come across too many...

Vinyldavid: There were 3-4 more players at the garage sale I was at and I'm sure the seller would love to move another one if you are seriously looking. He is up here in Florissant.

Broons and others: He still had several LD's left he was selling for $2 each or $1 each if you take them all. I could look into getting you all a list if you like.

I still have a relatively large selection of discs and 3 players, all Pioneer with two of them being Elite models. My favorite is the CLD-95.It's an amazing sounding machine and it is one solidly built player.I also have an LD-S1 which is just a basic LD machine. It is so quiet,you have to actually look to see if it's playing.I am tempted to sell it since it doesn't get any play time any more.

Some of the discs in the collection actually look better than the DVD. One of tem is Jurassic Park in DTS.

It's still a great format.

I have 4 LD players (including one player that will play both sides without turning the disc over) and about 70 discs.

Funny this topic should come up. We started demo-ing an HD TV that we had for sale at the Staples store I work in. We didn't have any source available for a the tv, so I brought in my Realistic MD-1000 and a bunch of discs! Sure did look nice. We played Jurassic Park mostly.

I have a small collection of discs, although I'm more into Betamax. I once had the original(?) Pioneer VP-1000 w/remote control. I believe that unit used a gas laser. Never had a single disc skip or freeze, so much better than DVD in my book. Plus, flipping the disc gives you an intermission!

Wow!

Vinyldavid: There were 3-4 more players at the garage sale I was at and I'm sure the seller would love to move another one if you are seriously looking. He is up here in Florissant.

Broons and others: He still had several LD's left he was selling for $2 each or $1 each if you take them all. I could look into getting you all a list if you like.

I am really looking for a Pioneer CLD-M90 or something similar... but most any will do. I like the integrated 5 Disc changer, and that LD player was the best CD player I have ever heard.:music::music: That's coming from a proclaimed vinyl addict! How much were the Players?????
I happen to have a little extra cash (say about $50, a lot for a 15 year old), and I would LOVE to get one!:banana::banana::banana:

I have owned a Laser Disc since 1986 my first was a Pioneer 909. I gave it to my nephew and it got stolen. I then got a nice upgrade the pioneer CLD-D760 it plays both sides. I have it going to an Adcom GDA-600 it sounds so sweet. I own about 200 disc and have a local source to get more. It is a great format and I love it a lot....Paul

Anybody remember the DEVO promo videos for Laserdisc? I have a DEVO video compilation dvd that includes in-store video clips for laserdisc and monitor promotions. Kinda cool. It's something you don't see much anymore, artists pushing quality gear. Atleast in the main-stream stores. Oh wait, the main stream stores don't sell quality gear :scratch2:.

I currently have four LD players, the best being a Pioneer Elite X-1. There were three models in the X series, the best of all (and simply the best LD player ever made, anywhere, period) was the X-9. Alas, that one has escaped me up to now, but the X-1 is already wonderfully clear and enjoyable, especially when projected (very much like being in a movie theater). Sound is comparable to good CDs.

I probably have close to 200 LDs now, perhaps 30 concert/music ones, a few documentaries and TV shows, and the rest movies. That's enough LDs that I only buy the ones I really want to watch and keep, as they do take up space.

Just two days ago I bought several more, including a special Japanese "LD-G" edition of Terminator 2: Judgement Day (with obi), a Japanese "Super Series H" edition of Rambo, a Japanese audiophile type LD for "checking Dolby Surround", and (more for the wife than for me) concert LDs from Julio Iglesias and the Bee Gees ("One for All" reunion tour). I already had the T2 (in both regular and silver boxed-set editions) and I already had a "Rambo", but I thought these Japanese ones looked like higher-quality disks, so I got them to compare.

I LIKE LDs... the only real drawback to them, IMO, is that they take up more space than DVDs. I didn't care so much for VCDs, for while they were cheap, the quality just wasn't as good.

I have a growing collection. I nabbed a super-nice CLD-3090 (and its jog & shuttle remote) last year at a thrift and so far have about 30 discs acquired from various places.

Back
Top Bottom