Any luv for the early '90s Toyota Supra?

BigElCat

Mmm Hmm
I found a deal on '91 Supra. 180K miles, runs "Great", drives "Great".

It's the non-turbo with an automatic tranny; all original except for 18" rims and wider tires.

I'm looking for something that will keep running, even if I have to put some money into it.

Any thoughts?

I always figure if the body is good (no rust or crashes) and the interior is mint, and electrical isn't butchered, I can fix anything else.

Should be reliable if it's had the least bit of maintenance. 18" wheels/tires aren't a good sign though.

Auto would be a deal killer for me but I'm a snob. Supposedly it is a good unit but the one in my Jeep Cherokee (same box, aisin Warner aw4) is starting to slip in first gear but it's been decent ish as far as slushomatics go. If it were a stick I'd tell you to buy it right now.

I LOVE early Supras and Celicas. I had an '86 Celica (in the mid '90's) and I always wished I had a Supra. That body style is probably my least favorite as I prefer the older or later models, but I still don't dislike it and its still a Supra. You could do cool things with those old Toyotas. I'd probably still be a Toyota driver today if the sales lady hadn't treated me so poorly when I went to buy my first new car back in '97. I was fresh out of College with limited funds but I wanted a Corolla and she kept making like I couldn't afford it and trying to push me to the crappy little Tercel. Ford took care of me with a red carpet lease on a ZX2 and I'm now on my 4th and 5th Fords since then. Oops, but I digress..lol.

The Lexus SC300 had same drive train with more horsepower and better ride, interior, etc. than the Supra in early 90's.

I owned one for a while. Very nice car. Had the 5 speed manual on it.

It's not a targa top, but has the sun roof. Charcoal grey, leather interior.

I researched the auto tranny, a it's tough unit. Slippage is usually a solenoid going out, they sell a solenoid/filter kit for under $100. The auto means the motor has had an easier life (most likely). The wheels and tires are exactly what I would have chosen. I'm make sure they don't rub. Wheels are gold center, polished aluminum rims. About $1000 worth of wheel and tire. The car is white.

Analogue speedometer, but the instrument layout is awesome.

I had a '77 Celicia GT. Ex-girlfriend had a '86 Supra. I loved my Celica.

The parts available for these things...wow.

I have a loan coming through today. We'll see how it goes.

The seller, a woman, says she is waiting on the titled to be mailed to her. I'm talking to her via text. She states the tires don't rub at all. It has 19x10 rims on back, 19x8s on front. This smacks of a relationship break-up. A chick wouldn't stuff the wheel wells. Not getting my hopes up on this one. The car is gorgeous, though. 35% below market value, even discounting the wheels.

Thanks! I have a clear title for the Volvo I'm sending to the junk yard. I hope this isn't another fiasco. I don't think she's trying to rip me off, but who knows?

1991 supra.jpg
$2300 obo does sound a little too good. I like the way it absorbed a 10" wide rim. The supra web site confirms it's possible. These things were Toyota's race car back then.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:Good get. I had a roomie in late 80s that had a black mark 2. Very nice but high insurance for a guy in early 20s
Other roommate had an 86 celica rag top. The guys got lots of miles on these. Enjoy!

What about parts cost if their are problems? I know it cost a lot for front end or any etc parts on most Asian vehicles for instance. Check it carefully for body putty with a magnet and hidden damage. best to actually have a Pro Mech and even a Body man check it out. Get Carfax etc.. also. That way you know it all!

Those have a timing belt that probably needs replacing so find out all costs on that for instance as usually other items like the water pump and tensioner for the belt may be advisable to replace.

Things do wear out after that many miles also and likely the trans will need a rebuild soon . Can you afford that cost as it may over a domestic by a large $.

Maybe I'm wrong , but a good domestic RWD might be a lot cheaper in the long run to run and maybe even buy.

Last edited:
What about parts cost if their are problems? I know it cost a lot for front end or any etc parts on most Asian vehicles for instance. Check it carefully for body putty with a magnet and hidden damage. best to actually have a Pro Mech and even a Body man check it out. Get Carfax etc.. also. That way you know it all!

Those have a timing belt that probably needs replacing so find out all costs on that for instance as usually other items like the water pump and tensioner for the belt may be advisable to replace.

Things do wear out after that many miles also and likely the trans will need a rebuild soon . Can you afford that cost as it may over a domestic by a large $.

Maybe I'm wrong , but a good domestic RWD might be a lot cheaper in the long run to run and maybe even buy.

Spoken like someone who hasn't owned an 80's/90's Toyota.

I just got back from driving it. It's mine, as soon as the title gets back from the state. I didn't front any money, but we have a verbal agreement.

The young woman who's selling it had a baby 5 weeks ago. Her fiance, who is a citizen of Panama, bought the car (and a bunch of parts for it) 4 weeks ago and put it in her name. Two weeks ago he went to jail. Mom and the baby are moving back in with grandma. Any money she can raise goes to get him out of jail.

This car has the sport package; a computer control suspension (bummer) and a limited slip differential (yay). It hasn't been driven hard, because the normally aspirated motor only makes 200hp, and the car weighs 3,600 lbs. It runs fine, it's just not as fast as it looks.

It will make a perfect back up vehicle to replace my Metro. The fact my head hits the ceiling will motivate to drive my other car. The power seats work, but the lowest setting isn't low enough. The rubber band tires are like rocks. I drove it in the 'loose' mode on the suspension, sort of a weird combo with the rigid tires.

Parts aren't any more expensive than a domestic car, except there's a lot of them in the rear end. It has an IRS, with a cast and finned center section. Awesome stuff, like an old XKE.

Rodger that on the timing belt. It's a non-interference motor, even though it's 24v DOHC.

Last edited:
I don't think the tranny will need a rebuild. They use this tranny in everything Toyota, including the 4wd trucks. It was shifting exactly like a '91 is supposed to, meaning it doesn't downshift when the throttle is pressed at highway speeds. It's an electronic glitch that was rectified for the '92 model. It's an electric/computer controlled tranny. I bet they make a paddle shifter for it; four on the wheel. I see nitrous in my future.

A new set of struts made for the electronic controller will set me back over $500. Ouch! Their said to be super awesome, however, Toyota claimed a 1g lateral on the skid pad. I don't think 1g is even possible in a car.

Last edited:
I see nitrous in my future.

I was with you all the way on everything, right up until this. You CAN overdo it. No reason for this unless you live in Britain and want to use it for track day.
Congrats on finding that car for a great deal though- guy across the street from us when I was growing up had a late 80s black Celica, I don't care if it wasn't the Supra it was one sweet ride.

Thanks! I have a clear title for the Volvo I'm sending to the junk yard. I hope this isn't another fiasco. I don't think she's trying to rip me off, but who knows?

View attachment 672577
$2300 obo does sound a little too good. I like the way it absorbed a 10" wide rim. The supra web site confirms it's possible. These things were Toyota's race car back then.

What are those rims? If they are real BBS you got a steal. I doubt they are, but it's worth looking at. The rims may be worth what you paid for the car, although if I had a set I'd never let them go.

Back
Top Bottom