Any McIntosh amp users here running Audio Research preamps?

joeinid

Wonder if anyone here has tried using an Audio Research preamp with their McIntosh amps? Typical output impedance runs from 500-600 ohms depending on model.

I ran an Audio Research SP-5 with a B&K EX-140 before buying McIntosh parts. It was a little too clinical for me -- I didn't really like the sound of deep string instruments. They didn't linger in a way I like.

That was obviously not with a McIntosh amp. I purchased my first McIntosh amp with a Hafler preamp. And then shortly bought a McIntosh preamp.

I used a SP6b and LS7 with my MC7200 and enjoyed it very much. Mostly using the MC7200 full range and sometimes just bass duty with a lovely ARC D115 on the mid and tweeter on my Infinity RSIIb. Found a C35 so now we,re all matchy matchy...Full ARC system in another room in the house.

At first glance it does appear to be an odd pairing. However, I have had great results using ARC preamps with Mac amps. I have personally used the following: SP9MK II, LS16 MKI, LS25 MKI, and LS 25 MKII.

Tube synergy seems to be much more variable to me than SS . Thats a broad statement and I could write a thesis explaining my reasons for saying so, but I'll just leave it at that basing the statement on my experiences with changes I have made over the last 56 years.

I have an SP-3 and an SP-6 and have used with MC225 pairs and MC30s with very nice results

However I prefer C-20 and MX-110 with the Macs

I compared a LS28 to my C47 and found the soundstage was massive on the ARC but it lost some control on the bottom end and was a little hotter up top. It wasn't worth the upgrade price considering I would also have to go with a separate phono pre.

Back
Top Bottom