Any Members in Cleveland Area???

dr*audio

Fish fingers and custard!
I was just over at Piece - It - Pete's this afternoon and we had a great time discussing Audio, garage sales, etc. We had an idea that it would be great to have a get together of Cleveland area members for a barbecue/listening session and general good time.
Anyone interested?
If so, who are you, tell us a bit about yourselves and where are you located?
The Michigan folks seem to be having a few good meetups, maybe it's time we got into the act.

I think it would be great for you Ohio guys to have a get together. fact if one was within so many miles of me id be there in a second.

Meet some really cool people through these meets.

Grumpy

It's open to anyone who wants to come, of course. Detroit isn't far, neither is Buffalo.
And Columbus.

Being in Toledo, I split the difference between you and Detroit and might be able to make a Cleveland shindig depending on family, job and other less important matters.

go Browns!!!

I've been to Cleveland before! (actually, I was born and raised there and spent 19 years before I joined the Navy).

Sounds like a winner to me, I could at least be a part time member when time permits.

Ron

Hi sounds like a plan. I live in Boardman former home of Bernie Kosar love those Browns. I'd love to get together listen to others systems, share ideas, get opinions, talk about good times and bad.
Send me a PM if you like.
Take Care.

Stanton. :thmbsp:

Originally posted by dr*audio
I was just over at Piece - It - Pete's this afternoon and we had a great time discussing Audio, garage sales, etc. We had an idea that it would be great to have a get together of Cleveland area members for a barbecue/listening session and general good time.
Anyone interested?
If so, who are you, tell us a bit about yourselves and where are you located?
The Michigan folks seem to be having a few good meetups, maybe it's time we got into the act.

I live in Fairport Harbor (eastern Lake County) now, but I grew up in suburban Cleveland. My name is Jeff. I'm 48 years old and lived in Wickliffe most of my life before moving to Fairport in November 1999.

As you will see by looking at my signature, I am also an amateur (ham) radio operator (been licensed since June 30, 1972).

Of course, I like audio too. (Been a member of AK about a year and a half now.) I had a Zenith 5-wpc system with Allegro 100 tuned-port speakers 17 years in Wickliffe, but gave it up when I moved (the apartment I live in now is too small for a big rig like that). I bought a new Aiwa 200-watt bookshelf system when I moved here, however; with its three-way speakers, surround sound, T-bass and BBE, not to mention an 8-band GEQ system and dual full-logic cassette decks (let's don't forget the CD player--it's a 3-CD changer) the system sounds great with its powered subwoofers and specially-designed speaker cabinets (Aiwa claims these speakers have better bass and overall frequency response than many cheaper systems found in low-priced shelf stereos, such as Magnavox and others). Speakers in my system are 21" off the floor of my apartment (bought two Tech-Craft stands a few months ago), and let me tell you, that height makes all the difference in the sound. I thought my system sounded good with the speakers resting on the carpeted floor, at either side of my desk (had them like that the first four years I lived here), but when I put the stands together and the speakers on top of them, the difference was immediately noticeable. (The stands look good too; in fact, they blend in with the furniture in my place very well.) :)

I apologize for rambling, but when I get started talking or writing about audio, radio or anything related, I find it darned hard to stop!

Nice to know there is at least one other AK member besides myself here in northern Ohio. I browse AK's forums daily and post whenever I have an opinion or feel like I can help someone out with a problem, so you'll see my user name (Jeffhs) here and on the antique radio and TV forums quite often. I collected old TVs, radios, etc. back in Wickliffe 35 years ago (when I was 13 years old; my first acquisition was a 23" Zenith b&w console). Browsing these forums keeps me close to a hobby I enjoyed all those years.

Kind regards,

I'm in!! :D

Warren and I had a great time, :yes: , he's a good guy who gave me what is to me the better end of a swap and a great deal of tech advice.

I strongly encourage anyone in the area to come to a hoedown Cleveland style (Polka & Perogies?? Rust & Rock??), don't be a lurker!

I'm in Parma. Where's those white socks?

Pete

"Cleveland Area"

I'm in Columbus. Schedule permiting I'm up for a get-together. MikE

Pete, don't forget...

White socks w/stripes if from Parma hts.....spent 7 years there.

Definitely the polkas and pierogies.

Ron

Ron,

We keep talking Polkas we'll scare everyone away! so I won't bring my Frankie Yankovic "live unplugged" albums unless requested. :p:

Maybe the Edinborgh Military tattoo.... :D

I'm not a native of Parma so I don't know about the subtle meaning of socks. Jeez this is killing me, sorry. Don't get me started on pink flamingos!!

For any out of towners who might be reading this, believe it or not most Clevelands are normal people. Honest. Come on down for a great time.

Pete

Clevelanders.......

Pete,
You said:

"For any out of towners who might be reading this, believe it or not most Clevelands are normal people."

When you find them, let me know!

Seriously though, best people either live in Cleveland, or came from there.

Now we just need a big enough place to hold a get-together in Cleveland.

Ron

Re: Clevelanders.......

Originally posted by spkrman57
Seriously though, best people either live in Cleveland, or came from there.

I couldn't agree more. Born at Cleveland Memorial, 8 years in Parma Hgts. and still have fond memories. Funny thing I've noticed over the years, I've met a lot of folks from Cleveland here in Maryland, good people for sure.

Re: Re: Clevelanders.......

Originally posted by F1nut
I couldn't agree more. Born at Cleveland Memorial, 8 years in Parma Hgts. and still have fond memories. Funny thing I've noticed over the years, I've met a lot of folks from Cleveland here in Maryland, good people for sure.

I agree with you as well. Clevelanders are as great a bunch of folks as you'll find anywhere.

I don't know if you remember when the Cuyahoga River burned in the late '60s (the event made national headlines), but out-of-town folks started making fun of Cleveland just about then. If that weren't bad enough, Cleveland went into default in 1978 under then-mayor Dennis Kucinich, which started, yup, you guessed it--more name-calling.

For awhile the city had a horrible reputation as "the mistake on the lake" (Lake Erie), but thank goodness enough time has gone by since then that those days are simply memories. Cleveland is a very fine Midwestern city on the shores of Lake Erie, all that badmouthing in the '70s notwithstanding. I spent 43 years in the greater Cleveland area (I was born in East Cleveland, grew up and lived 40 years in Wickliffe and three in Cleveland Heights) and enjoyed the heck out of it, made lots of friends in my hometown of Wickliffe and all, but in the late '90s certain things in my life changed drastically, resulting in my moving from Wickliffe to Fairport Harbor, the latter village being where I live now.

Greater Cleveland is home to many very good people. I have relatives who still live in the suburbs and a good friend who just moved to University Heights from Euclid (he grew up in Willoughby). I also have a very old friend whom I've known some 44 years; he lived just four doors down the street from me in Wickliffe, which is how we were able to get to know each other so well. He has since moved to Chardon.

I wouldn't live any place else but here in northeastern Ohio unless I had to. This area has been through a lot, but never mind. It's been home to me all my life. Cleveland's "mistake on the lake" days are, thankfully, behind us now; the city has turned a corner and is now, at least in my own opinion after having lived in the suburbs most of my life, one of the Midwest's best cities. It may not be the so-called crown jewel of the region (its metro rank tells us Cleveland is no longer a major city as it once was), but to my way of thinking it comes pretty darn close. :thmbsp:

Originally posted by piece-it pete
I strongly encourage anyone in the area to come to a hoedown Cleveland style (Polka & Perogies?? Rust & Rock??), don't be a lurker!

I'm in Parma. Where's those white socks?

Pete
Pete, The Ghoul made Parma famous for the white socks, crystal balls in the front yards, and pink flamingos, he always called Parma "AMRAP"!! I lived in Parma for 10 years (Sprague and York Road), Eddie's Delicatessen has great kielbasi, and kieshka, Rudy's has great pierogi's!! Heck, Ann Arbor is only 2.5 hours away, I might even attend!!
:D

Wow, the response has been great! I plan to firm up the date this week. I guess it will be at my place, I've got a nice deck with a barbecue and room enough for a party.
I'm looking for a response from the tech who built his own amp, can't remember his name. Hope you can come. Was that you, Gyusher?

Back
Top Bottom