Any minidsp users?

Thanks Shelly. I'll have to look when I get back home later.

I'm not too up to speed when it comes to computers so you'll have to explain to me like I'm five.

Everything that comes up so far is saying that there isn't a compatible driver....or something to that effect.

Compatibility shouldn't be an issue, but there's been problems with the drivers on some builds. I'd suggest downloading the most current version from their website instead of using anything that came bundled with the package. Looks like you have to have an online account to do that, but you should have one if you registered the product.

If you're already working with a downloaded version, maybe try it again - uninstall the software first.

Ok, I think I've finally accomplished something.....

I found installation wizard and it says that I've successfully installed the correct driver.

So now, the computer is saying that the correct drivers are in place...... where as before it said otherwise.

At this point, I have the plug-in installed (actually that was the first thing I did) and according to all the info I come accross on the computer it says the driver is correct and that the device is 'ready to go'.

However, there is nothing anywhere on my computer allowing me to use the mini-dsp to do anything to my stereo. Am I overlooking something simple?

At this point I don't know what else to try. The mini-dsp support forum hasn't attempted to answer any of my questions yet.

Thanks for all your help so far.

I mean, if everything is installed properly on my computer shouldn't something pop up when I connect the mini-dsp to my computer?

I'm gettin nuthin.....as far as being able to do anything for my stereo.

I've been using the RCA inputs. I just tried the Toslink input.....same thing, nothing.

I get sound (music) through the unit with the RCA's but nothing through the Toslink. I just figured I'd try it...(as a DAC).

I think it does not pop up. I suggest you go to the website, click on the support link and choose downloads. Find and download the manual for your product. There should be a chapter in there describing the workflow you need to step through to configure it. There might even be more software to install to create the filters that you need to upload into the device.

Shelly_D

Not sure what software ships with the MiniDSP now - I think that's changed since I got mine. You DO need to install Microsoft .NET and Adobe Air, along with the latest version of Flash. That should all be included in your download.

PS - they lie calling it a plugin. It's actually a standalone program you have to start separately. Look in All Programs or on your desktop to find it, fire it up, and then see if it finds the hardware. You can also check your Device Manager in Windows. Look for a "USB HID" connection that starts and stops when you plug and unplug the MiniDSP and make sure it's not throwing an error flag.

* Worth mentioning is, ambient noise can really screw with the results. Do your measurements when it's quiet, and be sure to turn off any noise generators, or at least do the sweeps when things like fridges and furnaces aren't running. Also turn off any fans, etc while testing. I know my big aquarium gave me fits till I figured that out.

Real planes have propellers.

Real audiophiles have propeller hats. ;-}

Last edited:
Ok, I have the mic now and I installed REW.

I've been trying to get info from three sources without much input. I'm thinking that possibly REW has to be running to make the mini-dsp work? I hope this is the case.

I poked around on REW and it's clear that I need to do some homework before I get in too deep

I'm up and running!

I had everything in place.....for days. I couldn't figure out how to open....open something....to be able to actually use the damn thing for my system.

So finally I went into the plug-in file and made a shortcut icon on my desktop and BAM there it was......everything I was looking for. So now I just open that icon on my desktop and everything was gravy after that.

I've got my mains running full range in which the bass starts to roll off at 36hz so I set my Tuba subs to play from 25hz to 40hz. A slight overlap with the mains but I've always read that you want that.

Thanks everyone for trying to help. It's much appreciated!

Man, do these subs have balls. :music:

Any experience here with DIRAC vs REW? I'm running two channel with no SUB using my PC with Windows Media Player as the music source feeding a USB DAC. Id like to try REW. Can anyone recommend any REW guides for idiots? I find it more intimidating than DIRAC. Are there other good freeware alternatives?

I liked the DIRAC user interface, automated filter generation, full range analysis (not just the bass) and ability to tweak their generic target curve. The result was cleaner mid range with good voice and instrument separation. What if didn't like is it took some of the warmth and fatness of the sound away and sucked away some of the bass. The focus was better but over time this can get more fatiguing to listen to. And the price was $460USD. I ended up returning it for a refund before my 30days was up. I kept the calibration microphone. If I had more time with it I would have played around more with target curve adjustment to bring back more bass and looked for a way to apply the correction filter incrementally to find the happy medium between fat and focused.

My miniDSP 2x4 HD will be here Thursday. Thanks to my employer laying off 100+ analysts last Friday I have lots of time to play with it :(

Will likely start my own thread.

I've been trying to get a handle on Mine for a couple weeks. difficult to say the least for me at least.

My miniDSP 2x4 HD will be here Thursday. Thanks to my employer laying off 100+ analysts last Friday I have lots of time to play with it :(

Will likely start my own thread.
Received today. Amazing that it left Hong Kong Monday afternoon and made it here in 3 days!

I have used the Minidsp DDRC24 in a 2.1 system for about 9 months or so. It is an amazing product... Setting crossovers/slopes, applying Dirac processing, setting target curves etc. It is such a great tool to improve the sound of your system. Currently using it with an MA7900, JBL 250ti and JBL B460 sub.

It's nice being able to turn the Dirac filter on and off to quickly hear the benefits of the filter in the space.

It's still one of the most beneficial and noticeable improvements I've made to my system.

I am now running the Dayton 4x8 DSP (here) to tri amp my system. After swapping woofers out to optimize the system for best transient response for the bass, the equalization (i.e. boost) I needed to get my bass extension back to a reasonable spot was too much for my 70 watt/channel main amp. The end result is a Dynaco stereo 400 running the woofers, the power amp section of my Mac MA2600 running the mids and a Nakamichi PA 304 (45 watts x4 or 90 watts x 2 car amp) running my tweeters. Now on heavy low bass, like in movies, I no longer drive the amp into power guard, just smooth, clean, clear, undistorted sound.

I do want to play with the crossover points however. I am using the ones originally selected for the original speaker compliment of the speaker system. That's 500 and 5000 Hz. I would like to expand the range of the midrange to put more of the typical human voice range into the midrange. My goal is 300 and 8000 but I don't think the midranges can handle that. They are 2" domes and my first attempt to drive them that low showed up some harshness. I think I will try it a little at a time starting with the range between 5000 and 8000.

Wish I could afford one with the Dirac filters. This however does sound very nice indeed though. More playing with EQ and balance though.

Shelly_D

Back
Top Bottom