Any model train enthusiasts?

New Marklin loco. Bavarian class Gt 2x4/4.

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

Latest acquisition. Marklin 39193. Class E 19.1 electric locomotive in a crimson basic paint scheme. Design in the museum version of the DB Museum in Nürnberg. Lettered as E 19 12 of the former German State Railroad (DR), Era II. The locomotive looks as it did in Eras II/VI.

IMG-2882.jpg

IMG-2884.jpg

Latest acquisition. Marklin 39193. Class E 19.1 electric locomotive in a crimson basic paint scheme. Design in the museum version of the DB Museum in Nürnberg. Lettered as E 19 12 of the former German State Railroad (DR), Era II. The locomotive looks as it did in Eras II/VI.

IMG-2882.jpg

IMG-2884.jpg

The level of detail on that is impressive.

I have been a model railroader since I had my first Lionel train set as a kid. Once I got serious into model railroading I switched to HO and modeled the Pennsy, having grown up in Pa and watching Pennsy steam as a kid. About 11 years ago we took a trip out West to tour several National Parks and along the way we stopped in Durango Colorado to take a ride on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge RR. After that ride I was bitten with the bug to model the Rio Grande in narrow gauge. So I made the switch to O narrow gauge. The first picture is one of my D&RGW K28s #478.

DSC_0068.JPG

The second picture is the actual K28 #478 still running between Durango and Silverton. In this picture it has the snow plow and spark arrestor.

D&SNG winter 08 2.jpg

Well, a quick look shows more like low-$$ instead of $$$. Unless I'm not in the right area. I really need to break open a box and get some specifics.

I'm not sure a train show is the right venue to determine value. I'm not looking for what a dealer will pay me, I'm looking for what an end-user will pay. Willing to parcel it out instead of selling in bulk. But this stuff isn't for sale here and now, or even on this portal, to avoid a Dollars and Sense banhammer.

And to get top dollar (for the grandkids, who don't want it) I'll need to research what I have in the way of coupler kits (endless brown envelopes of tiny parts) and trucks. Not educated enough yet to know if the loose trucks are the good ones or the take-offs. I do know that doing a deep dive into the quality of the die casting and fabrication of trucks (for example) is pretty amazing. Detail and rolling performance is pretty great. So I appreciate it, but I'm just not a train guy.
I sold a bunch of Atlas & Revell HO plastic model building kits on Ebay last year and was surprised how high the bidding went on some of them and I sold them all. They were in the original box and pretty much like new

IMG_20190317_142033.jpg

I put this little 5x12 where our antiques use to be so the kids (including the big ones) can run the trains we now exclusively sell. I wanted to put an HO in the center, but I am dispersing a massive quarter mil collection and need a place to stack stuff. As we re-shelve its a work in progress, this was taken about a month or so ago. the board comes in 3 pieces and is on rollers. I got some O42 curves to redo the inner loop as a lot of the MTH and lionel big stuff needs O42 or O54 as a minimum. Yes, those are packs of O72 on the edge!

I got 3 ZWs but have not fixed the whistle diodes yet - a nice crossover project where I can use mouser parts to restore a 70 year old transformer!

we have not built the layout at home yet but in the meantime, my 11 year old comes to the store with me on saturday and runs trains all day. I do need to find some O roadbed and relay the track....I just have it single screwed every 4-5 sections to keep it in place. The board amplifies the noise, with 2 trains running it sounds like a main water pipe has broken.

We are soft open but the grand open is mayfest, will have the walls painted with RR signs, have griff tellers hanging and that PRR system map you see. on the back wall are racks with old timetables and rule books etc. And I want to put a CD boombox down there that plays random all day songs about trains (driving that train, train train, folsom prison, midnight train to GA etc etc)

Kid stuff!!!

In 1997 I built and maintain one of the nicest privately owned garden railroads in the world. The railroad won the competition for garden railroads and is featured on the cover/centerfold/lead story in the 30th anniversary of Garden Railways Magazine.

Seven trains run themselves using automation that I designed and implemented. Also, there is a large degree of automation throughout the layout. And, the world's only lowrider train with dancing car!

All plants are real and to scale (1:24) with a lot of topiary work.

http://tortoiseandlizardbash.com/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom