Any model train enthusiasts?

Dudes I am kinda bummed,got out my Bowser 4-6-0 and discovered the cylinder block has Zinc pest! I smeard some epoxy on the cylinders to stabilize them while I track down a new cylinder block.The Bowser website does not list the part as available nor does the bay,they do have blocks for the E-6 Atlantic and the K-4 Pacific so I hope one of those will work..
Sadly Bowser quit the kit steam engines and sold all the parts n stuff. I have several, and I built at least 7 of the Old Lady 2-8-0's for my dad. I have a Challenger, a PRR 2-10-0 a Southern 2-10-2, a USRA 4-8-2 and a PRR K4 that I modified into a K3, which Norfolk & Western bought 5 of during WWII.

Yes they are nice kits and run as well as a three pole motor can.Can you post pics of your Browser collection?

I am really wanting to trade in all my N Gauge for Z scale. I find the smaller they get the more fascinating they are. I can only imagine what an epic layout can be made in Z-Scale on a typical 4x8 platform. But I imagine the cost will be epic as well! Those little trains are expensive! But to me the smaller they get, the more they are like watches with complications.

IMG_0957.JPG

3285233196_f89ce95317_o.jpg

I should also mention T-guage, which are so small you could set one up as part of your HO diorama.

ot0u3_ZQVWeaJx3hOr1i4uazUipY0UK7Gaq1oGnFX6U.jpg
Good grief, I knew about Z scale but not T. That's ridiculous.

I did see a Z layout in a briefcase once, pretty cool. Sure would like to get my N up and running, this winter I made more progress in the basement than I have for years so maybe it's in the cards. Still a lot of audio and other stuff to do first though.

Good grief, I knew about Z scale but not T. That's ridiculous.

I did see a Z layout in a briefcase once, pretty cool. Sure would like to get my N up and running, this winter I made more progress in the basement than I have for years so maybe it's in the cards. Still a lot of audio and other stuff to do first though.

I know right? I don't know what it is about tiny trains but the smaller they are the more they fascinate me. Probably it can all be blamed on the diorama of NYC in Flushing Meadow Park. When I was a kid I would stare at it for hours until the guards made me leave. Had I not moved to Miami Beach, I would have probably volunteered to make all the vehicles move. :)

I looked all through my Model RR photos and couldn't find even ONE photo of my Bowser steam locos. I guess I'll have to make some.

Working on those small N scale locos when I was a kid - I always had the cheaper ones and they were very finicky and I didn't have the Internet or a can of Deoxit :p - I can't imagine how much of a PITA an even smaller gauge would be. Well, I CAN imagine, and it's not good! My wife's cousins had an entire basement full of a huge HO layout that I saw a few years back and I was jealous at how easy it must be to work on. More compact than O (which we also have some of, the wife's dad being a long-time collector), but not so tiny you need a magnifying glass to see things.

About 20 or more years ago I had a pretty huge collection of HO rolling stock and engines and a modest layout, mostly diesel with the exception of a few steam loco's.
Not because I didn't care for them but, because I really couldn't afford them new and bought quite a few of my stuff at flea markets. Although at that time I did purchase many Athern and Waltham engines and rolling stock new (when prices where still reasonable)and detailed them as much as I could. Brass was always out of my reach as far as being able to afford them. Must have had 15- 20 boxes full when I moved and just didn't have the room for it anymore and sold it all. That's one thing I do really regret and hope someday to get it all back.
I had taken photos of some of it but, there all taken with a film camera and I need to dig it all out and try and scan them.
Just a short list of what I remember that I had, did a lot of freight but, did have some passenger stuff and I had all of it setup with Kadee couplers, 2 Athern Amtrak engines with I think 2-3 cars, 2 Bachman DD-40's high detailed, a few Athern F-9's with B's but, no cars, Athern and Waltham Box cars of all sorts high detailed, refers, livestock, dry, etc. Athern piggy backs with trailers and tractors for a full train and at least 25 diesel engines, switchers and much much more that the numbers escape me right now.That's what happens I reckon when you been away from it that long. .Oh! and most of it was Union and Southern Pacific.

I haven't priced things lately but I bet good equipment is costly these days. I have all my N packed up, never did have real good engines but I bought a lot of decent rolling stock out of discount bins that is still NIB. Even some unbuilt building kits lurking in there. Just hate to let go of it for the same reasons you stated - hard to replace and expensive.

I haven't priced things lately but I bet good equipment is costly these days. I have all my N packed up, never did have real good engines but I bought a lot of decent rolling stock out of discount bins that is still NIB. Even some unbuilt building kits lurking in there. Just hate to let go of it for the same reasons you stated - hard to replace and expensive.

Yeah, every thing has gone up to almost 3 times what I use to pay so the dream of getting it back gets further and further away as I wait to be able to afford it again.
And you just reminded me too, I had at least two boxes of brand new in the box rolling stock with a few engines that had never been opened from Walther's and Athern.
And excuse me for the earlier posts misspelling of Walther's......been awhile, must have had my pocket watch on my mind. doh.gif .

Yes I still have my blue box Atheran engines.Amazing even then thst those smooth running ahd powerful dual flywheel engines were so inexpensive.Many rolling stock kits have $2.50 price tags stamped on the boxes.

Yes I still have my blue box Atheran engines.Amazing even then thst those smooth running ahd powerful dual flywheel engines were so inexpensive.Many rolling stock kits have $2.50 price tags stamped on the boxes.

Yes sir, that's what I use to pay for'em, ah the good ole days, well maybe not that good but, a heck of a lot cheaper.

I had a N scale lay out back in the late 80's on a couple 4x8 sheets of plywood. All the track was on the cork roadbed had a hill side with a tunnel through it of course a town,people houses ect. Looked real neat in the dark all lit up. I really enjoyed the landscaping and building the model kits of the buildings and such. Today no room and not a whole bunch of time for it either I mentioned Z scale and I got the eye roll from the Missus.

I have boxes of unbuilt HO rolling stock kits from the 50s, acquired by my dad for a layout that never materialized. Mostly pre-cut wood and metal, scored boxcar siding, etc. Can't get into divesting that until I get rid of the 4x8 layout languishing in the basement. Had a few nibbles, but no takers -- I guess free isn't cheap enough. (The layout and associated plastic cars and locos, not the unbuilt kits.)

I have boxes of unbuilt HO rolling stock kits from the 50s, acquired by my dad for a layout that never materialized. Mostly pre-cut wood and metal, scored boxcar siding, etc. Can't get into divesting that until I get rid of the 4x8 layout languishing in the basement. Had a few nibbles, but no takers -- I guess free isn't cheap enough. (The layout and associated plastic cars and locos, not the unbuilt kits.)

If you were in my neck of the woods I'd been on your doorstep yesterday sir, I'll take FREE train anything!

I picked up two big boxes of O scale train stuff from a junk store over the summer, each box was $20. One box was full of O-scale train segments, including two MarX 999 engines, the New York line. Also tons of hopper cars and other random things, as well as two transformers. The other box was full of O scale track, along with a bridge, crossing thing, a few lights, etc. After cleaning them up, especially the dirty track, I got it running this past Christmas and had a good time.

I picked up two big boxes of O scale train stuff from a junk store over the summer, each box was $20. One box was full of O-scale train segments, including two MarX 999 engines, the New York line. Also tons of hopper cars and other random things, as well as two transformers. The other box was full of O scale track, along with a bridge, crossing thing, a few lights, etc. After cleaning them up, especially the dirty track, I got it running this past Christmas and had a good time.

I think I hate you!on_the_quiet.gif

Back
Top Bottom