Any model train enthusiasts?

That is SWEET! sir, gotta be brass! I'm waiting for the engineer to wave at me.
Dadburn it, now you make me want to get back to model railroading even faster then I possibly can.
Hmm, maybe I can panhandle enough, "hey mister will ya stake a fellow American $1000 for a meal?

Those older wooden kits are probably worth $$$ these days. Take them to a train show and see.

Yes please research what they go for on the Bay.You might be surprised!

Well, a quick look shows more like low-$$ instead of $$$. Unless I'm not in the right area. I really need to break open a box and get some specifics.

I'm not sure a train show is the right venue to determine value. I'm not looking for what a dealer will pay me, I'm looking for what an end-user will pay. Willing to parcel it out instead of selling in bulk. But this stuff isn't for sale here and now, or even on this portal, to avoid a Dollars and Sense banhammer.

And to get top dollar (for the grandkids, who don't want it) I'll need to research what I have in the way of coupler kits (endless brown envelopes of tiny parts) and trucks. Not educated enough yet to know if the loose trucks are the good ones or the take-offs. I do know that doing a deep dive into the quality of the die casting and fabrication of trucks (for example) is pretty amazing. Detail and rolling performance is pretty great. So I appreciate it, but I'm just not a train guy.

That is SWEET! sir, gotta be brass! I'm waiting for the engineer to wave at me.
Dadburn it, now you make me want to get back to model railroading even faster then I possibly can.
Hmm, maybe I can panhandle enough, "hey mister will ya stake a fellow American $1000 for a meal?
Actually modern plastic. BLI Norfolk & Western Y6b on the front with N&W "A" following. Both are weathered. The sound came from a Mobile Fidelity LP called Ghost Trains that came out in the late 1950's. It is the actual sound of identical locomotives as they left Roanoke, VA and climbed the Blue Ridge grade.

Last edited:
OK ,so as part of perfecting the appearance of the steam engines I wanted to put a little detail, to throw of observers. As a locomotive burns the coal, the cinders fall to an ashpan below the firebox to smolder out. you can see the glow of those cinders as the loco goes by. I did this to the BLI Y6b. Here are some test shots at various angles.

Do Broadway Limited locos run well in conventional or do you have to use DCS?
Run fine either way. ALL of the current articulated locos are done wrong. The rear frame should NOT swivel.. The front frame is attached to the front of the rear frame... IT does the swivel. So does the A. Lifelikes USRA/N&W 2-8-8-2's are another great runner. They are too light in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom