Any modern every day cars destined to become classics.

tyeeslayer

Looking back 50-60 years ago cars that were considered everyday have become classic and valuable.
Do you think any average everyday drivers can become the classics of tomorrow?

NO! Cars from yrs ago were part of the beginning of Cars,the 1st 50-100 yrs and after that at least to me there is no value:)

1998 and up Crown Vic millions of them, well built fast and comfortable.

the only thing is the youth don't look at cars like we did, and they also may not have the resources to power them and to keep them running on the road in the future.

Todays mentality is to throw away and recycle for something new. The thought of storing away a car you have and liked with the hopes of fixing it up some day, but not getting to it (insert barn Find) for 20 years isn't happening.

The other thing about the youth is mobility of living environments, less are focused on buying homes and owning. Renting apartments and dwellings and moving around doesn't work well for storing cars.

Absolutely....the current crop of "American Muscle Cars" are ALL destined for greatness, IMHO.... the Hellcats, all of Mopar`s SRT vehicles basically, all the hotrod Cadillacs, (particularly the stick shift versions), Z06 and ZL-1 Vettes, Z28 & ZL-1 Camaros. The recent Mustangs with the Boss packages and hot Coyote motors, too.

To me, cars like this represent "the new Golden Age" of performance vehicles....they totally eclipse the Muscle cars of the `60s in every respect. I say "Enjoy `em now", before they get out-regulated, or superceded by some new technology.

Absolutely....the current crop of "American Muscle Cars" are ALL destined for greatness, IMHO.... the Hellcats, all of Mopar`s SRT vehicles basically, all the hotrod Cadillacs, (particularly the stick shift versions), Z06 and ZL-1 Vettes, Z28 & ZL-1 Camaros. The recent Mustangs with the Boss packages and hot Coyote motors, too.

To me, cars like this represent "the new Golden Age" of performance vehicles....they totally eclipse the Muscle cars of the `60s in every respect. I say "Enjoy `em now", before they get out-regulated, or superceded by some new technology.
True, but I was talking about everyday common cars.

I think Teslas will be future classics, since they're such a milestone in EVs. I cringe when thinking about what it's going to take to restore one.

Porsche 996, thanks to the universal hate by purists for them. Yet they ushered a new era of success for the company.

Mazda miata for what it did for grassroots racing.

Nissan gtr, godzilla finally made it state side after teasing playstation players for over a decade. WRX and EVO for the same reason.

the only thing is the youth don't look at cars like we did, and they also may not have the resources to power them and to keep them running on the road in the future.

Todays mentality is to throw away and recycle for something new. The thought of storing away a car you have and liked with the hopes of fixing it up some day, but not getting to it (insert barn Find) for 20 years isn't happening.

The other thing about the youth is mobility of living environments, less are focused on buying homes and owning. Renting apartments and dwellings and moving around doesn't work well for storing cars.

Well said Dan. I ask my son to wash his car, I get a Are You crazy look. Turning wrenches? Out of the question

Well said Dan. I ask my son to wash his car, I get a Are You crazy look. Turning wrenches? Out of the question

I have to disagree, I help run a local car club with over 100 members. We routinely have 20-30 bring their car to monthly autocross events. Plus, we have the internet, and social networking. Knowledge, and parts are easier than ever to obtain, and share. Some of the older folks in our club have stories about spending years tracking down rare parts before the internet.

I've gone to SEMA a few times in the past few years as well, the aftermarket industry is growing far as I can see. Cars are growing more complicated. But expert services are appearing to fill the demand. How many were making a living off tuning EFI systems were there before?

I think Teslas will be future classics, since they're such a milestone in EVs. I cringe when thinking about what it's going to take to restore one.
Or just about any "modern era" vehicle for that matter. The mechanical aspect of restoration is one thing but the electronics are entirely another.
Some of the electronics are proprietary and the "programing" can be had by or thru the manufacturer only. I'm sure there are individuals out there somewhere that have the codes and the capability but they'd need to be hackers to do it.
Gone are the days of the only electronics on a vehicle being the horn, lights and radio.

I have to disagree, I help run a local car club with over 100 members. We routinely have 20-30 bring their car to monthly autocross events. Plus, we have the internet, and social networking. Knowledge, and parts are easier than ever to obtain, and share. Some of the older folks in our club have stories about spending years tracking down rare parts before the internet.

I've gone to SEMA a few times in the past few years as well, the aftermarket industry is growing far as I can see. Cars are growing more complicated. But expert services are appearing to fill the demand. How many were making a living off tuning EFI systems were there before?

Agree the tuner, Sports car hobby is still popular. The question was, Are there classics that will be talked about in 20/30 years. Are there any icons yet. Boss Mustangs, Yenko Camaro, Winged Mopars. There's not much today that sets anything apart.
True, No EFI yet, But guys made a living through speed shops, Machine shops, Fab shops. Hell, In SoCal alone, I did business at 4 different hot rod shops.

I don't think you got my point, and I have plenty of restored cars and projects. The question wasn't whats going on today so I thought about the futures and how expensive gas might be by then if not outlawed. The mustang was a cheap secretary car, sure they had some HiPos and specials ones. The point is they caught on because people liked them and saved them and the shear numbers produced supplied the hobby well before any aftermarket produced parts. I would go as far to say the Vic out numbers any of the Ford car line and out sold the modern mustang, just like the sixties stang did at ford. We are still pulling unrestored barn finds out of 60s mustang, with the numbers sold like the Vic it's hard not to see them 40 years down the road at car shows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom