1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Any mods for 4312s ?

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by sjsingle1, Sep 23, 2018.

1. sjsingle1

sjsingle1 New Member

Newbie here but long time audio bug, I have some 4312s, the ones with the titanium tweeters ( are those the B model or ? ) I got off CL for a good price. I have had a bad habit of letting my audio gear sit for many many yrs being unused and have decided I have to much good stuff to let sit around anymore.

Are there any good easy ( or hard ...lol ) mods that would be good for these speakers ?
    I also read these are only rated at 100 watts per chan...being monitors I thought this was kinda low, a conservative rating or ?

these are my main speakers til I get my infinity RS III fixed....

Please register to disable this ad.

2. SaturationPt

SaturationPt AK Subscriber Subscriber

They are efficient, more power is not needed.

Sounds like 4312As, they are good speakers but the crossover is somewhat primitive IMO. I'd look at updating the crossover (more like the 4412A, but watch out for the reverse-polarity woofer) and replace the damping pad behind the titanium dome.

There are many "upgrade" ideas for these, doesn't hurt to play around if that's your thing.

3. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

As far as I can tell, their crossovers are extremely basic and almost the same as the ones from the earlier models like the 4311 and L100; see https://www.echoretro.fr/hi-fi-vintage-enceintes-jbl-4312-mk2-reedition-95/jbl-4312-a-01/

So I bet you could use the Murphy's or Gravesen crossovers in them. See http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....sover-kit-murphy-or-troels-gravensens.712983/

You will lose some sensitivity and the L-pad controls, your wallet will slim down and it will take some work to build the crossovers. The result will probably be a more linear, polite loudspeaker, but not as "fun" or classic.

4. sjsingle1

sjsingle1 New Member

5. sjsingle1

sjsingle1 New Member

they are Bs...had to go and look to be sure.....and motorcycle stands make great speaker stands !!!

6. sjsingle1

sjsingle1 New Member

been googling crossovers.....lots n lots to read

L-82 and Zonker92 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. wallacefl

wallacefl AK Subscriber Subscriber

Would recommend looking up the crossover from the 4319 woofer and the using the midrange/tweeter crossover for the mid and tweeter from the 4412.