Any musicians here?

Hmmmm musicians you say? Ahhhh there was a day... (going waaaaay back) Running from night clubs to frat houses to even the occasional high school. There was no way you made enough money to survive on so you worked a day job too. The hours were tough, good thing we were youg with all the energy in the world.

We were sort of a "juke box" club band. Playing all the hits and not trying to be like many were in finding some kind of weird identity. We wanted to just be popular and then people would listen to our own stuff once we started playing it.

Those days have long since gone away but I still have my first guitar from when I was 14. A old 1950's Fender Duo Sonic. I now have a collection of guitars that sadly enough, have quite a collection of dust on them. No, I don't play all so much anymore but I can still pick it up and bang some noise out. Mostly old rock and country.

As you can tell from my username, I play flugelhorn, trumpet, and piccolo trumpet. I play from time to time when I have time (work about 60+ hours a week). Play in a big band at our local community college. Fugel's my calling but enjoy playing all of them. Jazz/classical are mostly what I play. But I like to play any style!I didn't play for eight years. what was i thinking!(ex wife!). i can't understand anyone who plays an instrument and just stops totally.:uzi: :lazer: :guitar: :pity:

I'm a guitarist. Been playing since I was 8 yrs. old.

Played in bands in High School then kind of put it down in my college years(still played but not seriously).

Then I got out of college and drifted around for a couple of years because I didn't know what I was going to do with my life. That's what a Liberal Arts education does to some people. (Do they still offer Liberal Arts in college these days!)

Anyway, then the thought struck me, why not try to be a musician?
Enrolled in Music school, had some great experiences, practiced my ass off, lasted 2 years. I was always trying to catch up.

Decided I didn't need school I could do it on my own. Practiced, practiced , practiced, never thinking I was quite good enough yet.

Nearly drove my self crazy, along with some other people, until I came to the realization and accepted that the good lord gave me only 'x' amount of talent but not quite enough to make a living at it. It was a hard realization to accept and a long time coming.

Now, I still have a guitar, still play from time to time, still get the fire in my belly from time to time but then put it down and just enjoy being a hacker and playing children's songs for my kids.

Wow, this got long!

Bass player here. Was in and out of bands from the 70's thru the 80's, played rock, new wave and oldies. Still play for my own amusement and have built several bass
speaker cabinets.

DSCN0138.JPG

Last edited:
Thor

I bet if ya eat some Taco bell your significant other thinks there's a tuba player in the room with her :p: :lmao: :lmao:

Thor...maybe you and I can start a band! I've been known to play the air bass every now and then...oh, and the air walleye too ;)

Really tho...I can't play squat! I wish I did play something now...I guess I'll just be happy listening to those that can play instruments.

Ron...don't ya just love the sound of the Flugelhorn? Not to mention horns in general...and you can't beat their sound live!

thanks guys! hey thor...just let me know when you want to start the band up ;)

Originally posted by gonefishin
Thor...maybe you and I can start a band! I've been known to play the air bass every now and then...oh, and the air walleye too ;)

Really tho...I can't play squat! I wish I did play something now...I guess I'll just be happy listening to those that can play instruments.

Ron...don't ya just love the sound of the Flugelhorn? Not to mention horns in general...and you can't beat their sound live!

thanks guys! hey thor...just let me know when you want to start the band up ;)

Yeah, Lotsa warm sizzle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yippy:

Started on guitar at 13.I'm now 39.Played in a few bands back in the 80's.A dream of mine was to have the band play at my high school.Although when I was in school I was still learning to play.A few years after school in '87 I was in a band that formed just to play at the high school.It was probably my favorite live performance also captured on VHS.
Rock and Heavy Metal from the 70's and 80's.
Tryed to form a new band two years ago,but dealing with alot of flaky people I have resorted to going back to what I feel I do best record my own music at home.
I use a digital drum machine programmer Yamaha RX 7.A TASCAM 488MKII analog 8 track recorder to capture the tunes.Digitech PRP-10 effects unit.Crate Excalibur 250 watt amp with 4 X 12 Celestion loaded cabinet.ART SGE II Effects unit.Alesis Midiverb reverb and echo unit.I play the rythmns and leads on guitar.I also play the bass lines on my Carvin bass.I sing the vocal and harmony vocals also.I have two CHARVEL guitars,a JACKSON,and a CARVIN bass.When you play it back sounds like a whole band but its just me!
I mix down usually to MiniDisc for editing purposes or direct to CD.Depends on the song and how complicated.In the early 80's owned a '76 Gibson Explorer and a 81' Gibson Flying 'V'.Also had a full MARSHALL amp Stack with twin heads.Two cabinets with four 12in Celestions in each! 500 Earth shaking ear bleeding watts!! Stood around 8 feet tall! Could hardly reach the top controls on the top head! Was AWESOME!
The last few years I have been experimenting with keyboards and have enough material to release my own CD featuring instrumentals with keyboards.I am not a pro keyboard player per-say but I do try.These will go to family and friends.Have almost enough semi-quality material for a guitar/song CD but I am currently working on more material as time allows.
Although it is hard to find the quality time to write and record good material I still try.
Always wanted to go professional but GOD decided for limitied talent and late blooming on guitar.I had to struggle to keep up with the other guitar players.I would probably be dead from excess partying if I had gone pro,so I am glad to just be alive and well!

Last edited:
Ok, I'm digging up bones.

Bassist / keyboardist, have made money playing both. When I was gigging, we played mostly classic rock and funk. Had to give it up, because I became a full time single parent, my son was my focus. I do harbor resentment for having to quit playing music, it was the one hobby / profession that meant more than all of the rest. But, my son means everything to me. His recent interest in playing has rekindled my interest too.

Have 5 basses and 5 keyboards, still 'noodle about' with them here and there.

I always wanted to learn to play electric guitar, electric bass and upright bass. Never happened. A friend tried to show me to play power G on his guitar. Couldn't get my long fingers to the right position. Oh well.

Air guitar and a bit of Air drums also, sometimes both in one song :D
Me too! Air bass, air trumpet, sax, you name it. Not many people get to see me do it because it usually happens at home. Several people thought I really could play guitar, including some guitarists. I would just chuckle and say "I'm only guessing what the real guitarist is doing."

These days at work, a lot of people get a kick out of seeing the crazy old man with headphones moving to the music as I blow leaves, collect piles of leaves, etc. It helps me stay focused on getting the job done right and moves the day along.

I always wanted to learn to play electric guitar, electric bass and upright bass. Never happened. A friend tried to show me to play power G on his guitar. Couldn't get my long fingers to the right position. Oh well.

Me too! Air bass, air trumpet, sax, you name it. Not many people get to see me do it because it usually happens at home. Several people thought I really could play guitar, including some guitarists. I would just chuckle and say "I'm only guessing what the real guitarist is doing."

These days at work, a lot of people get a kick out of seeing the crazy old man with headphones moving to the music as I blow leaves, collect piles of leaves, etc. It helps me stay focused on getting the job done right and moves the day along.
You're not likely to hear back from Thor, he's not been active since 2012. But, it is nice pulling up a thread and seeing him in it .... doesn't happen too often these days.

Back
Top Bottom