1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Any old farts remember synchronized slide shows?

Discussion in 'Cameras and Photography' started by ConradH, Oct 29, 2017.

1. ConradH

ConradH Addicted Member

We did these back in high school. If I remember right, we used a stereo tape deck, probably a Wollensak, with music on one channel and a tone to trip the slide projector on the other channel. We matched appropriate images of the times (war protests and such) with Simon & Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence. Actually made a pretty decent impression, though we certainly weren't sophisticated artists at the time. The closest thing we had to a computer back in '72 was a floor standing programmable HP (I think) calculating machine.

John James likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Beep.

3. tcdriver

tcdriver AK Subscriber Subscriber

I remember ...

4. fredcohiba

fredcohiba Super Member

I was the AV guy in grade school and definitely remember seeing them up and waiting for the - Ding.....

5. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I do but I am not an old fart - yet.

6. steerpike2

steerpike2 Super Member

Yes, we had a few educational "slide-tape programs" shown to us, and we got to make our own on occasion.
    There was also a technique - I forget the exact details - where a piece of Polaroid film was placed onto the 35mm slide itself, and then a disc of similar film was rotated slowly directly in front of the projector lens: this created the effect of movement in certain parts of the slide
    At university, we occasionally got such a show using NINE projectors, with crossfades and dissolves.

(We also had this diabolical machine that projected a story, in text form, one line at a time. It was supposed to teach good reading technique. I think now it probably did more damage than good).

7. Gazdatronik

Gazdatronik Super Member

Whaddya mean oldfarts? They were still using this tech when I was in elementary school, '91-'96
    Sometimes a proto-powerpoint presentation was still the best way to get info across to a group of idiot children.
    Of course, by then it was slightly more automated, no kid changing the slide. Unless the damn thing was half broken, and then you would have to conscript a child soldier to do so.

[​IMG]
    ALL HAIL MIGHTY DUKANE AND HIS COUSIN CALIFONE

8. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Not synchronized....but I did lots of presentations with slides and overhead projector.

9. BMWCCA

When I started in the car biz BMW sent their training material on a 35mm filmstrip with a cassette for the Dukane system. I may very well have one of those stashed around here someplace. I know I have some of the film strips. Their next step in technology was Sony BetaS on the large carts used by TV stations.

10. danj

danj modern primitive

Yes. And I learned that if it's more than about 15 minutes long you start losing your audience.

11. Cogito

Cogito Well-Known Member

Does the Talking View Master count?
    [​IMG]

John James and I LIKE MUSIC like this.

12. a_retent

a_retent Daddy's little shadow Subscriber

By '91 I had graduated HS, did 6 years in the Navy, graduated from college, had 2 kids and finally divorced after 8 years of purgatory.
    WOW, I am old!!! :yikes:

Idiot children...:rflmao:

13. kfalls

kfalls Super Member

While digitizing Indiana Universtiy's collections we found many of these cassettes, but without their associated filmstrips. I clearly remember these from school for class lessons.

14. old_tv_nut

old_tv_nut See Yourself on Color TV! Subscriber

In college, about 1964, they had a set of three rear-projection pedestals for publicity venues. They had maybe 25 inch screens, and would sit side by side with Carousel projectors in them. All three had been running from one cue source, but to get fancier, they had bought a punched paper tape reader, and I got the job of interfacing it to the projectors and then writing up a procedure for what characters to punch into the paper tape to advance the projectors individually or in unison. IIRC, the reader was advanced by the former single cue pulse.

As far as picture quality, a new presentation would start out looking OK, but after many days of use would fade badly.

I don't recall if there was any sound with that particular presentation. It could be; but on the other hand, it may not have been used in some public spaces.

15. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

HSoPPso-1.jpg
    Forgive me?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    John James likes this.
  16. BMWCCA

Your jealousy is showing!
    I prefer the old joke:
    "What's the difference between a porcupine and a Mercedes? On the porcupine the pricks are on the outside!"
    :beerchug:

Wildcat and Pio1980 like this.

17. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

18. No Money

No Money AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm pretty sure that Nan Golden's work "The Ballad of Sexual Depenency" uses this system. About 700 slides with an accompaning soundtrack (and a lot of slide projectors ...). Saw it once at a museum. Pretty amazing. Slides seemed to be up for varying lengths of time from memory.

19. Omegaman

Omegaman Ultra Super Member

I can't remember on account of the brain damage caused by excessive mimeograph chemicals

20. Decibel_116

Decibel_116 AK Subscriber

This is what I remember from school. A Dukane record player/filmstrip projector in one unit.

BTW, what prompted you to think of this?

Dukane Filmstrip.jpg