Any opinions here on the Sennheiser HD-570?

Raynald

Addicted Member
Online opinions range greatly, just wondering if anyone has experience to share, maybe some comparisons. Don't need another pair but I just saw an ad for a pair locally and it struck me I had never heard of them. Loving my vintage HD-540 more than ever, might be fun to try another older Sennheiser on the cheap!

I had a pair back in the day. They are pretty bright, which I liked. More like the HD600 interms of sound than the more veiled/laid back 598s or 650s.

Never heard the 540s that I can recall but I wouldn' be surprised if the 570s are brighter/more extended on the top end and have more detail.

Thanks, I will see if they are still available. Though I don't think anyone needs a headphone brighter than the 540!

They were up at $20 about 15 minutes away due to a problem with the cable connection. Owner said the input socket seemed to be bad as you had to wiggle the end of the wire a certain way to get them to work. I asked him if he had checked the cable, his hesitating response made it clear he had never thought of that. Since I had a spare "upgrade" cable from eBay for another set of Sennheisers that is actually really nice and I had found a web page on opening up the 570, I decided to take a chance.

Seems to have been the cable, mine works fine. The original makes a weird fluttering, warbling sound I have never heard from a bad cable. Looking at the original cable I wonder if some of the bad reviews might be due to the apparently horrible quality of that stock one. Should be interesting with the new one.

First they need to be cleaned up. The main phones are in very nice shape. The pads are pretty used and dirty. I tried removing one and ended up just peeling it off. Is that correct? With my other Sennheisers there is some sort of part that somehow snaps or hooks in place. Do these just glue on? Looking at the eBay replacements that makes sense as they come with two sided tape. I also removed the inner foam that was dirty and about to crumble.

If someone can confirm that just peeling off the pads is correct I will go ahead and do the other. I have tried washing the first one, I will see what it looks like when it dries. I would rather keep the originals as the China replacements are of very different construction and will no doubt change the sound. I will order a set anyway as I need the inner foam and the going price of $5 for the whole set is less than $3 more than just the inner foams alone. Might as well have the spares.

Ignoring advice I had found in another forum I decided to try removing the other pad by pulling from the inside. Snapped right out as easy as can be, in one piece. There is indeed a plastic frame glued to the pad. I had completely taken the other pad apart and left that frame behind. Removed it which allowed me to clean out the last bits of screen foam trapped under it and cleaned everything up. At the bottom of the picture you can see the intact pad, at the top the other one now in four pieces. Should be easy enough to glue back together and use. They seem to be cleaning up fairly well. The headband padding seems completely collapsed. I went ahead and washed the outside of the headband then went at it with sticky tape, doing same with pads.

Overall the rest is in very good shape, the construction may be plastic but it sure holds up well, lettering on the headband is perfect and the ear screen lettering is just slightly rubbed off on one side. Looking forward to getting everything back together and giving them a listen. The lack of foam screen inside will surely not help the reputed brightness!

Back
Top Bottom