Any other K&K pickup users here? I could use some ideas.

Farmhand

I'm selling my old acoustic (2000 Martin DXM) into which I installed a K&K Pure Western pickup set. This set seems to not be available anymore, and I just received a Pure Mini set for Christmas to go into my next guitar, which will be a Taylor Big Baby. My "problem" is that the Pure Westerns have an onboard preamp and the minis do not. There is a volume control available but it's 45 bucks and ugly.
So a couple of questions-
-Will I miss the volume control at all? I use it when I switch to electric guitar or bass, and I'd like to have it for that reason.
-Is there a "hack" that any of you have used to add another kind of preamp? I'd love to have an onboard tuner and get rid of the clip-on. I'll keep researching and find out if anyone has replaced their piezo with the K&Ks while retaining the original in-body controls.

I personally prefer no onboard electronics... todays state of the art is often next years outdated junk.
The improvements in acoustic guitar pick ups and ampfilication technology is constantly improving.
There are many good pre amps out there today.
Fishman, Baggs, DTAR, and K&K makes their own external preamps.
As for a hack for the volume control maybe a Ernie Ball Volume pedal?
My Fishman Aura Spectrum has a preamp with volume bass- mid-high tone controls & as well as the "digital acoustic image modeler" ,a compressor, DI, and tuner all in one compact pedal.
Cheers!
PQ

Back
Top Bottom