Any other ship enthusiasts on AK?

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Aside from my audio passion, I have had a life long love of ships. Probably in the blood, as on my fathers side, there is generation after generation of sailors. Anyhow, my particular passion has always been the big ocean liners. Lover of old battleships too. But there is something about the old, high speed liners that never fails to amaze me. One of my favs, the SS United States, sits rusting in Philadelphia harbour, but in its day, this 990 foot long, 52,000 ton monster of a liner could hit 44 knots (Almost 50 mph). Designed for easy conversion to troop ship duty, she was definately over engined for her peace time roll (her machinery was rated at 240,000 hp, 80 thousand more than the larger Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth).
Just wondering if anyone here shares the interest....
Erik

Bigerik said:
Aside from my audio passion, I have had a life long love of ships. Probably in the blood, as on my fathers side, there is generation after generation of sailors. Anyhow, my particular passion has always been the big ocean liners. Lover of old battleships too. But there is something about the old, high speed liners that never fails to amaze me. One of my favs, the SS United States, sits rusting in Philadelphia harbour, but in its day, this 990 foot long, 52,000 ton monster of a liner could hit 44 knots (Almost 50 mph). Designed for easy conversion to troop ship duty, she was definately over engined for her peace time roll (her machinery was rated at 240,000 hp, 80 thousand more than the larger Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth).
Erik

I'm increasingly facinated by the history of Navy ships. I was on the USS Monticello LSD-35 for a couple of years in the early 80's.
http://www.ussmonticello.com/

Shortly after I was discharged, the ship went to the boneyard. I never realized until recently what that meant. They actually keep these old ships floating somewhere and use them for parts and such.

If there is one thing the US has done better than any other country in the world, it is protect their naval heritage. There are sooo many old warships being used right now as museums, it is just incredible. Where all the Brits really have to show for there time in the past century as the greatest naval power in the world is one cruiser, I cannot even begin to count how many US battleships are available to be enjoyed and marvelled at by the public. I have visited the Massacheusettes in Fall River more times than I would like to say, and it is always amazing to stand up on the bow and look up towards the bridge, with 6 16" barrels standing proudly. Awesome!
Erik

My wife as a kid sailed to Europe and back on the USS United States she is actively looking for the passenger list from that trip. Her dad tossed it all while Audrey was in High school without even asking the kids. He wasn't on the trip. But has always been a bit of an AHole.

I understand there is a very active group trying to resote the USS United States they have some web sites up.

Mt son is currently an ET (electorinics tech) on board the USS Chancellorsville a Guided Missile Curiser home ported in Tokyo Japan. Next to a Nimitz class carrier the nastiest big stick we have. His ship and the USS Wilbor are the weapons control ships for the Kitty Hawk battle group. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
This is the Esso Baltimore. My father served on her in WWII.

Attachments

• Esso Baltimore 2.jpg
    Esso Baltimore 2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 12
Bigerik: There in Fall River at Battleship Cove also sits The U.S.S. Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. DD-850. I was a Machinest Mate in B-4 on her last cruise in 1972. We hit a storm in the North Atlantic on our way back from the Med that tore that ship up and she was decommissioned about 6 months later. She is the last of the Gearing class destroyers in the states that I am aware of. Next time you go to Battleship Cove take a walk on her. She's also an important piece of U.S. Naval history.

Best
John

Since I buy and sell government surplus, I have collected a few neat shipboard parts. I have a few Chelsea clocks, a complete set of china from the Officer's mess, flight deck helmets from a carrier, as well as lights, gizmos, etc. I also have a whistle (3 trumpet) that weighs 160 lbs. Brass gauges, etc. pop up from time to time. My rarest piece is my current avitar. Although it's a poor picture, I'm waiting for some OLDER navy person to recognize it. It's WWII vintage, so Filmboydoug's dad should get it if he's stilll with us.

bentpencil said:
Since I buy and sell government surplus, I have collected a few neat shipboard parts. I have a few Chelsea clocks, a complete set of china from the Officer's mess, flight deck helmets from a carrier, as well as lights, gizmos, etc. I also have a whistle (3 trumpet) that weighs 160 lbs. Brass gauges, etc. pop up from time to time. My rarest piece is my current avitar. Although it's a poor picture, I'm waiting for some OLDER navy person to recognize it. It's WWII vintage, so Filmboydoug's dad should get it if he's stilll with us.

Looks like a gyroscope.

For the MK12 torpedo. Built God knows when, modified in 1942, adding the small bearing on top, another on the bottom. Allowed an additional gimble so they could be launched from the deck as well as sub - surface. I have the cans it was stored in with the retrofit instructions. Came out of an old navy warehouse in Virginia. Still sealed in a box when I got it.

I'm somewhat of a ship enthusiast. Just lookat my Screen name :)

My main area of interest is in deep-sea trawlers. Not the little piddling things that pass for trawlers of the new england coast but the big deep-sea stuff the like of which you will see fishing at Alaska and on the Grand Banks.

I run a website on a 1960 trawler called the Arctic Corsair that I have been involved in the restoration of http://www.arcticcorsair.f9.co.uk/corsair
I am also involved with a group of enthusiats who maintain and sail a 1972 Icelandic stern-trawler called Jacinta http://www.arcticcorsair.f9.co.uk/jacinta

From time to time I have posted some images of vessels that ply the North Sea and visit the local ports on the River Humber near to where I live.

jasper%20starboard.jpg

bentpencil said:
For the MK12 torpedo. Built God knows when, modified in 1942, adding the small bearing on top, another on the bottom. Allowed an additional gimble so they could be launched from the deck as well as sub - surface. I have the cans it was stored in with the retrofit instructions. Came out of an old navy warehouse in Virginia. Still sealed in a box when I got it.

You win! That is one of the coolest naval artifacts I've seen.

Bigerik said:
Erik

The east coast is a great place to be into this stuff! The big navy ships are so cool.

My son is in the Scouts & I was able to sleep on Big Mamie (USS Massachusetts) twice. Same thing for the USS Salem in Quincy, MA, the only preserved USN heavy cruiser. One thing about Battleship Cove that has not been mentions is the preserved PT boats. Those are worth the trip down by themselves.

I've been on the USS New Jersey too. All the battle commendations as you walk up to it are humbling. A 50 year span! Next time down, I want to check out the the USS Olympia across the water from it part of Roosevelts White Fleet from 1898! Has anyone been on it?

I'd like to see the USS Wisconsin in Norfolk as it is the same class as the New Jersey. Hope to next time I am down there. BTW for ship lovers, the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, VA is not to be missed. It is fantastic. They've got the turret from the Monitor. The Monitor!

We had our honeymoon in '88 and went VA. We toured the Norfolk navy base and the USS Iowa was in port. Didn't get on it as it was too late in the day unfortunately. It was the first time I ever realized how effing big the BB's are. Maybe sometime soon the Iowa will get a berth. I'd love to see it and the Missouri eventually.

Groton, CT is the place to go if you are into subs. The first USN submarine base is there along with a terrific sub museum. They've got torpedo examples going back to the first ones they purchased from the British turn of the century. One other sub to see is the USS Albacore in Portsmouth, NH. It has a hull design that set the standard for all modern subs.

I do share your interest. I don't get rabid about it until I am in the vicinity of the ships and then you can't tear me away.

Trawlerman said:
My main area of interest is in deep-sea trawlers. Not the little piddling things that pass for trawlers of the new england coast but the big deep-sea stuff the like of which you will see fishing at Alaska and on the Grand Banks.

Easy.........!

The Japanese & Russians would no doubt refer to yours as piddling!

:D

ARRRRRRRRRR me likes me ships!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! How else am I to to sail the seven seas ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

jwrags said:
Bigerik: There in Fall River at Battleship Cove also sits The U.S.S. Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. DD-850. I was a Machinest Mate in B-4 on her last cruise in 1972. We hit a storm in the North Atlantic on our way back from the Med that tore that ship up and she was decommissioned about 6 months later. She is the last of the Gearing class destroyers in the states that I am aware of. Next time you go to Battleship Cove take a walk on her. She's also an important piece of U.S. Naval history.

Best
John

Hey John.
I have visited her EVERY time I have been down. No slight intended to her. She is a great ship. Thanks for making her history a little more real!
Erik

botrytis said:
Went with my parents to the USS New Jersey reunion last fall. Got to tour the ship unencumbered - it was amazing to be there with my dad and share his experiences.

The first one is of the ship - as much as I could get with the camera. The 2nd pic is of the first gun he was stationed at. The 3rd pic, well he finished on this ship on the 16" guns - here my dad is hugging a long lost friend!

Dave

Would have been an amazing experience I bet. The ships are damn impressive (saw them for the first time in Norfolk the day before they sailed for Desert Shield) but it is the stories from the people who served that really let you know what they were all about. I always wanted to hear/feel the the thunder of the 16's being fired. Now there is some serious bass! :)
Erik

Trawlerman said:
I'm somewhat of a ship enthusiast. Just lookat my Screen name :)

I run a website on a 1960 trawler called the Arctic Corsair that I have been involved in the restoration of http://www.arcticcorsair.f9.co.uk/corsair
I am also involved with a group of enthusiats who maintain and sail a 1972 Icelandic stern-trawler called Jacinta http://www.arcticcorsair.f9.co.uk/jacinta

From time to time I have posted some images of vessels that ply the North Sea and visit the local ports on the River Humber near to where I live.

jasper%20starboard.jpg

That is one good looking ship! Would never thought I would say that about a trawler. Will have to check out your site!
Thanks!!
Erik

Mark W. said:
My wife as a kid sailed to Europe and back on the USS United States she is actively looking for the passenger list from that trip. Her dad tossed it all while Audrey was in High school without even asking the kids. He wasn't on the trip. But has always been a bit of an AHole.

I understand there is a very active group trying to resote the USS United States they have some web sites up.

Mt son is currently an ET (electorinics tech) on board the USS Chancellorsville a Guided Missile Curiser home ported in Tokyo Japan. Next to a Nimitz class carrier the nastiest big stick we have. His ship and the USS Wilbor are the weapons control ships for the Kitty Hawk battle group. :thmbsp:

Wow! Bet she has some great stories, if she is old enough to remember them! I was collected United States memoribilia for years. Don't know about passenger lists, but I sure have a number of menus! :)
How is your son enjoying it? Would not want to have the Kitty Hawk battle group pissed off at me!
Oh, and sorry your father in law is an asshole. I have one of those too... :D
Erik

Erik,

I have been aboard USS Massachusetts at Fall River myself. Also aboard USS Arizona. My favorite is also parked near Filthadelphia. USS New Jersey, BB-62, The Big "J", The Black Dragon, our country's most decorated warship. My father, daughter Stephie and I plan to do the stay aboard overnight thing soon. I can't wait.

I joined the military not long after "Operation Sail" in 1976 for our nation's bi-centennial. The clincher was the opening of Op Sail. I was standing on the Brooklyn shoreline with my grandfather George Grand, just short of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. The first ship in line to enter New York Harbor was the guided missile cruiser "Wainright". As she passed our position, just prior to going under the bridge and entering the harbor, she started the salutes with her 5" gun. The artillery stationed at Fort Hamilton returned the salutes, I got tears flowing, and decided to make an appointment with a recruiter right then and there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom