Any other ship enthusiasts on AK?

Well I build model ships! Here's a few shots of my Enterprise (CVN-65).
Currently working on the Nimitz (CVN-68).....THEN I'll begin the Ronald Reagon!

Attachments

• cvn65b.jpg
    cvn65b.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3
  • cvn65c.jpg
    cvn65c.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 4
  • cvn65d.jpg
    cvn65d.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 3
  • cvn65e.jpg
    cvn65e.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1
Served aboard the USS Claude V. Ricketts - DDG-5, Enterprise - CVAN-65 and the California - FLVN-35 between '69 and '75. Refueled the Enterprise and then built and commissioned the California. Someone mentioned going through a storm in which they almost capsized. Went through a hurricane off Cape Hatteras on the Ricketts. Probably 75% of the crew was seasick. Spun the forward 5"/54 gun mount around and tore everthing else off the hull forward of the superstructure. Sprung the hatch forward of the gunmount. Had to lash it down with some cables and come-alongs, but still took in lots of water. We were operating with a single screw, gas-turbine DDE which really did almost sink. Ran on JP-5 and it was too rough to refuel. Finally was able to get a line across from a carrier to get her some gas, but was an all day affair and we had to stand-by for survivors. A most interesting 3-4 days. Same hurricane that came ashore and did so much damage up the middle of PA in '69.

My wife went over for her college in France in '69 on the United States, along with Bill Clinton on his way to Oxford. My wife and some of her friends still have their original tickets and a couple of ashtrays and such from the trip. The reason it has not been sold for a hotel or cruise ship or cut up for scrap is that it has a high pressure steam power plant and several of the clowns who are in charge of such things want to keep it 'secret'. Imagine. Secret 1950 technology. Sad to see it sitting there rusting away every time we go over the Walt Whitman. We are still into being 'on' the water and sail on the Cheasepeake.

Last edited:
Bigerik said:
If there is one thing the US has done better than any other country in the world, it is protect their naval heritage. There are sooo many old warships being used right now as museums, it is just incredible. Where all the Brits really have to show for there time in the past century as the greatest naval power in the world is one cruiser, I cannot even begin to count how many US battleships are available to be enjoyed and marvelled at by the public. I have visited the Massacheusettes in Fall River more times than I would like to say, and it is always amazing to stand up on the bow and look up towards the bridge, with 6 16" barrels standing proudly. Awesome!
Erik

Wow you are so lucky to go aboard her, My Father served aboard her sister ship the USS Indiana . I wanted to take him to see her but never got the chance now he is 80 and could not make the trip. in 73 I was aboard the USS Inchon LPH 12 doing NATO war games now I belong to the USS Inchon Association . Last year she was towed into the Atlantic and was used as a target it was a sad day.

Ron

Last edited:
The only thing that really pisses me off about the present day U.S. Navy?

WHY don't we have a U.S.S. Hornet? U.S.S. Wasp? U.S.S. Coral Sea? I believe strongly in a U.S.S. Sullivans, but not in a ship named after one man, even if he was the president. We don't have a Lexington. We don't have a Bunker Hill. We don't have a Saratoga or Ticonderoga, but we have a Carl S. Vinson.

Erik, is the British ship you're talking about HMS Belfast parked on The Thames? Been on that too. 1979.

Last edited:
Yamaha B-2 said:
Served aboard the USS Claude V. Ricketts - DDG-5, Enterprise - CVAN-65 and the California - FLVN-35 between '69 and '75. Refueled the Enterprise and then built and commissioned the California. My wife went over for her college in France in '69 on the United States, along with Bill Clinton on his way to Oxford. My wife and some of her friends still have their original tickets and a couple of ashtrays and such from the trip. The reason it has not been sold for a hotel or cruise ship or cut up for scrap is that it has a high pressure steam power plant and several of the clowns who are in charge of such things want to keep it 'secret'. Imagine. Secret 1950 technology. Sad to see it sitting there rusting away every time we go over the Walt Whitman. We are still into being 'on' the water and sail on the Cheasepeake.

Well B2 your a plank owner thats Great so is my father. you old timer you. :D

Ron

Toasted Almond said:
Erik,

I have been aboard USS Massachusetts at Fall River myself. Also aboard USS Arizona. My favorite is also parked near Filthadelphia. USS New Jersey, BB-62, The Big "J", The Black Dragon, our country's most decorated warship. My father, daughter Stephie and I plan to do the stay aboard overnight thing soon. I can't wait.

I joined the military not long after "Operation Sail" in 1976 for our nation's bi-centennial. The clincher was the opening of Op Sail. I was standing on the Brooklyn shoreline, just short of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. The first ship in line to enter New York Harbor was the guided missile cruiser "Wainright". As she passed our position, just prior to going under the bridge and entering the harbor, she started the salutes with her 5" gun. The artillery stationed at Fort Hamilton returned the salutes, I got tears flowing, and decided to make an appointment with a recruiter right then and there.

Wow!
What an awesome story. I have heard the HMCS Haida fire many a time when she was still in Toronto. Quite the sound that was, so I understand what you mean.
How are you arranging to stay onboard overnight? Would sound like fun! Wonder if they have room enough for my 6'4 frame... :)
E

Pioneer727 said:
Well B2 your a plank owner thats Great so is my father. you old timer you. :D Ron
Don't remind me.

TA, who the hell was Vinson, anyway? Actually, I do know who he was, but certainly will not go down in history as one of the "Great Americans". Pretty sad when we name them after a bunch of half-assed politicians. Ronnie Raygun, to name another.

RussinOhio said:
Well I build model ships! Here's a few shots of my Enterprise (CVN-65).
Currently working on the Nimitz (CVN-68).....THEN I'll begin the Ronald Reagon!

Thanks for the pics, Russ! I remember you mentioning your work, but it is even more impressive to see it. Awesome job!
The pics show why I loved modeling battleships more than aircraft carriers. Too damn much work getting all those planes detailed! :)
E

Yamaha B-2 said:
Don't remind me.

TA, who the hell was Vinson, anyway? Actually, I do know who he was, but certainly will not go down in history as one of the "Great Americans". Pretty sad when we name them after a bunch of half-assed politicians. Ronnie Raygun, to name another.

Vinson was a VERY long serving congressman and a great friend to the navy. If I remember correctly, he even attended the launching of his namesake.
I do wish they would resurrect some of the old, historic names tho. The brits are MUCH better at that!
Erik

Last edited:
USS New Jersey has a sleep aboard overnight program. VERY popular on New Years Eve. $50 per person gets you a dinner, bare bunk (bring your own air mattress and sleeping bag), tour of the ship, breakfast, and all the good karma you can handle. Again, I can't wait.

Yamaha B-2 has been pestering me to go and sleep aboard with him, but I told him like a million times that I only dig chicks. Navy guys. Sheesh.

Toasted Almond said:

Erik, is the British ship you're talking about HMS Belfast parked on The Thames? Been on that too. 1979.

Yup, that would be the one. Nice shape. Nice museum, The thing that sticks out in my mind was actually the model of the HMS Vanguard down below. Awesome job!
Damn shame that this is all the Brits have to show for their huge naval expenditure over the years. You would have thought they could have saved ONE of their battleships. So many possibilities there. Vanguard was the last (and best). Warspite served and saw action in both world wars, and will forever hold the record for longest range hit on a moving ship at sea. Right around 30,000 yards, against the Italians in the Med. Give me some time and I will even remember the ship she hit! The King George V battled the Bismarck and lead to the german ships destruction. I am sure many others could be mentioned. One of them could have been saved....
Erik

Forgot that I was on the amphibious assault ship Saipan also way back in the 70's. Gotta tell you what stuck out in my mind most about HMS Belfast. Little snack bar aboard served the absolute worst hot dog I've ever eaten. Suckered the co-pilot I was with, told him it was delicious, and laughed my ass off as he practically mouth hurled his first bite into The Thames!

I hear you about King George V, Rodney, and the hound dog cruisers and destroyers all over the Bismarck. But you have to admit, it was a damn 90mph kite that handed them the prize. Unbelievable.

3 men left off HMS Hood is even more unbelievable.

Last edited:
Toasted Almond said:
USS New Jersey has a sleep aboard overnight program. VERY popular on New Years Eve. $50 per person gets you a dinner, bare bunk (bring your own air mattress and sleeping bag), tour of the ship, breakfast, and all the good karma you can handle. Again, I can't wait.

Yamaha B-2 has been pestering me to go and sleep aboard with him, but I told him like a million times that I only dig chicks. Navy guys. Sheesh.

That sounds like LOTS of fun! Look forward to hearing how it goes!
New Years Eve, huh? Do you think the wife would go for it? Could tell her that I was taking her aboard a giant ship for a night of New Years festivities, dinner and breakfast. The good karman I would need. Wonder how long it would take her to get over THAT one... :)

Wow, Never knew the Y B-2 was like that. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course! :D
E

Toasted Almond said:
Erik,

I have been aboard USS Massachusetts at Fall River myself. Also aboard USS Arizona. My favorite is also parked near Filthadelphia. USS New Jersey, BB-62, The Big "J", The Black Dragon, our country's most decorated warship. My father, daughter Stephie and I plan to do the stay aboard overnight thing soon. I can't wait.

My son's Scout group stayed in the Marine racks near the front turrets on the Massachusetts. About 90 Scouts & dads + a few moms in there. The racks squeak when you move on them. Add to that the snoring, all night talking, and a malfunctioning heating system that took the temp near 90 up near the ceiling. It was like trying to sleep in a parked bus in Death Valley but it sure gave me an appreciation for what had to be endured everyday. I was actually a blast!

Toasted Almond said:
I joined the military not long after "Operation Sail" in 1976 for our nation's bi-centennial. The clincher was the opening of Op Sail. I was standing on the Brooklyn shoreline with my grandfather George Grand, just short of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. The first ship in line to enter New York Harbor was the guided missile cruiser "Wainright". As she passed our position, just prior to going under the bridge and entering the harbor, she started the salutes with her 5" gun. The artillery stationed at Fort Hamilton returned the salutes, I got tears flowing, and decided to make an appointment with a recruiter right then and there.

That is a great story. :thmbsp:

Toasted Almond said:
Forgot that I was on the amphibious assault ship Saipan also way back in the 70's. Gotta tell you what stuck out in my mind most about HMS Belfast. Little snack bar aboard served the absolute worst hot dog I've ever eaten. Suckered the co-pilot I was with, told him it was delicious, and laughed my ass off as he practically mouth hurled his first bite into The Thames!

Sounds like my first adventure with British hot chocolate. I had read that during the war with the rationing and everything, their hot chocolate became just water and cocoa. Well, in the spirit of historical accuracy, just before I got onboard the Thames ferry on my way to the Belfast, I thought I would have a cup of hot chocolate to drive away the morning chill. Any guesses what it tasted like?
E

Thanks Motor. All true. Best part is my old best pal, my grandfather, was there with me.

Great story about you and the scouts too! Somebody already told me not to do the sleepover anywhere near the summer. No air aboard.

Last edited:
Toasted Almond said:
Great story about you and the scouts too! Somebody already told me not to do the sleepover anywhere near the summer. No air aboard.

We did it in the winter! When we got on board it could not have been more than 50 belowdeck and damp. Me smart, heat rises, sleep on top rack near ceiling.

The heat kicked on with a vengeance around 2:30AM and the temp rose easily 40 degrees up there. I ended up bailing and going up to the cafeteria area. To my surprise there are a couple of 70 something docents up there drinking coffee! You gotta love it!

:lmao:

One other point to New Englanders, if you like the ships and guns, be sure to go to the USS Salem. Belowdeck they've got a firearms museum like a mini-Aberdeen. Most notable are 2, hand cranked, Hotchkiss 37mm Gatling-type 5-barrels. They also got the full assortment of WWI & WWII arms both US, ally, & enemy. I was shocked at the scope of the content.

Back
Top Bottom