Any other "treble-lovers" out there...or just me?

fabchef

Hi gang, well it seems to me that whatever system i've had (or currently running), i've always had to adjust the treble to the max...and sometimes it wasn't enough to bring out the full hi's. Is it just me that feels this way? maybe it's just my ears? :dunno:
fab

OMG! :yikes: I suppose if you like it then it's just fine but I surely do feel for anyone else within earshot. Maybe consider investing in an earwax removal kit first, then a hearing test second.

Hi gang, well it seems to me that whatever system i've had (or currently running), i've always had to adjust the treble to the max...and sometimes it wasn't enough to bring out the full hi's. Is it just me that feels this way? maybe it's just my ears? :dunno:
fab

Fab, what speakers do you have? Post pics and pics of the speaker input panel.

It might be possible to bi-amp your speakers and this is a terrific way to alter speaker voicing.

Regards,
Jerry

A band member I once worked with told me that after getting his ears cleaned, he had to tell his mates to turn their treble knobs all the way down.

Maybe you would decide you don't need tone controls! :rolleyes:

Ever get yer ears tested? Way I understand it, exposure to loud stuff will take out the midrange first, but it's more "normal" for the highs to go from natural causes.

PS ... they make rogaine for ears yet? Regrow those funny little hairs you hear with? Or maybe transplant some from yer butt? <G>

Hi guys, well my wife says i don't rear too well...so maybe I should clean my ears...haha. In terms of speakers im running a vintage set of wharfedales.

I run the treble around 3:00 on most music. Partly due to high frequency loss with age. Many years ago, with Fisher XP-9 speakers (Fisher speakers were noted for being warm), I had the opportunity to listen to AR-3A speakers. Returned home and maxed out the treble on the Fishers.

hey fab, it would be good to see your equipment list. the seeing a doctor for possible earwax buildup and potentially getting your ears irrigated might be worthwhile. among my speaker assortment are magneplanar MMGs, a real bargain with ribbon tweeters. nice. i also love electrostats but never owned any.

my friend had martin logan reQuests and they were great. to my original dynaco a25s, i added a tweeter above 10kHz and it REALLY opened up the airiness of the sound.

try your best to keep the tone controls flat (if you have tone controls) and use speaker positioning to make the sound natural.

Hifitommy, on all my gear I have the treble to max, which usually does the job. The warfedales have a main driver and a tweeter. Sound good.
Could it be an adjustment for the treble?
Fab

it's one thing to hear the top (or any OTHER part of the spectrum) in the normal way, and quite another to have it exaggerated. you cannot turn the treble up on a live performance so why would you emphasize it on playback?

unless something is wrong with your system or speakers, then that part needs repair or replacement.

A recap might be the ticket to paradise.

Good ole medicine cabinet hydrogen peroxide solution makes a good ear cleaner - the first one will hook you on the eargasmic astral plane, but it'll never again feel as good as the first.

I run all mine the same way, max treble, too much loud music and industrial equipment over the years. Anything else sounds muffled.
I remember walking out of a Frank Hannon concert with my ears ringing many years ago, it never fully recovered. A sacrifice to the Gods of rock and roll!

fab
Similar history, later found I had hearing loss ca 4.5kc up.

If listening to music with maxed out treble sounds good to you that's on you. However, if you're compensating for a hearing loss I'm tempted to ask, "What do you do for the rest of what you hear in life?".

As us males age we lose hearing in both the high and low frequency spectrum. The older we get the greater the spectrum loss. Until eventually the only frequencies we can hear well is that band which contains our wives' voices!

Now, ain't that a kick in the ass?

Regards,
Jerry

Ear wax! I love treble too, and have some hearing damage, as a former violinist and resident of Union Square, maybe the most squealing and shrieking of any subway station in the entiresystem. I clear my ears from time to time.

Clean yer ears!

ear-cleaning.jpg

Maybe a pair of Realistic Super Tweeters in your future.

eico-hf12a-bose.jpg

I actually kinda sort like that on the center channel to augment the Bose speaker, but I did add a cutoff switch, as that's mostly dependent on program material. They're nice, because they've got load balancing built in, so just gang em onto your primary speakers.

** Could also be something as "simple" as speaker placement ... although that can get pretty complicated ...

Back
Top Bottom