Any Powerstroke junkies down here?

jaymanaa

RIP 1961-2018
I just got a 2006 with a 6.0 and 100,000 miles on it. It's got a 2 inch lift and mudders on it, but that's about it. A farmer around here used it to pull a 5th wheel stock trailer. I've been looking at EGR bypass kits, and think I will be going with a 4 inch exhaust right off the turbo straight down into a huge stainless glasspack after getting rid of both cats. Then just a 90 degree turn down toward the pavement. Looking at the STX programmers that will mount right on the dash. You can turn the EGR and stuff off with those, so you don't get the check engine light, plus you get 3 modes of performance. Economy, normal, and tow. Down the road (I plan on this being my last truck) maybe a larger / nicer intercooler and bigger turbo. These things seem like a 2000 pound swiss watch man, so I'm searching for any info I can find. From what I've seen, simple mistakes can be around 4 or 5 bills, while a good screw up can be 1000s. Yikes! I did get rid of the paper cone speakers in the doors. I put some JBLs in the front, which I took the BP lytics out and put in some films for the little tweeters. The rears got polks and I couldn't get to those caps.

Congrats on saving a 6.0 L as they are International and from what I've read should last and be reliable (as long as you don't try to boost power either) without all the EGR stuff etc and better oil coolers and maybe some other parts etc. I bought old Doge Cummins 93 & 95 as they were more affordable than SD several years ago and no EGR or electronics plus the 93 you can easily work on it. Rust is an issue with Dodge trucks though (made them cheap to buy as dealers wouldn't give owners much) from road salt so mine are too ugly to post.

Here is a sites that seems to have good info!

http://www.fleetservicenorthwest.com/Pages/64powerstroke.aspx

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/

Anyway I think the way to make them more reliable would also do what Ford and Cummins have done to there engines in medium duty trucks which is to de-rate them to around 200 HP. If say an injector goes bad your less likely to ruin the engine that way for example. With electronic tuning now days all is possible.

New stuff is so quiet and clean that I can't even tell if it is a Diesel anymore from a few feet away, but I wouldn't want the poorer MPG and hard to service setups.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom