Any Q-3535 Stereo Tube Amp Owners?

Hum could also be caused by a number of other things too - ie: heater supply issue, grounding issue with your RCA's and other equipment. I fixed hum recently on a tube by cleaning all the tube pins thoroughly - I also did a recap too so maybe the recap did fix it (!)

Back when this post was new I had the amp re capped. It turned out great. I used it steady for a long time. Now it has a little periodic crackle. Now you will see the guy in Phoenix has a giant Sansui stash & more will be coming up. I know the guy he bought them from. I purchased many pieces before he did. I even purchased another Q-3535 along with many extremely super rare Sansui pieces.
This post waking up is maybe what I need to research the guy who had the collection. Stay tuned for a post about this guys collection.

Hi,

I have a Q-3535, and I believe I have a schematic too. I am planning to recap mine in coming months.

About those particular type of mica caps, my opinion is they absolutely need to be replaced. This is based on my observations with HF-V60, AU-111 and AU-70. In all examples leaky mica were causing problems.

That resistor may actually be okay, the plastic casings tend to go burned looking when the resistors run too hot (usually due to leaking cap throwing off bias of a tube), so may be worth checking if you don't want to just go ahead and replace. It's worth checking resistor values everywhere. When they get overused then tend to drift to high value; those resistors will need to be replaced and associated caps checked (particularly check coupling caps, and plate resistors (when coupling caps start to leak it throws off tube bias and plate resistors do extra work)).

I can check the value for you later... at work now. PM me if I forget :).

Last edited:
Thanks for your time. Yes they used a plastic coating on the resisters, The plastic would burn but the register would be fine.

johnny_fever, I re-caped my 3535 and had a crackle like you talked about. Turned out it was a noisy resistor in the power supply section. Replaced resistor and it's so quiet. I also converted the amp to ultra-linear. (because the UL taps were there on the output transformers) ;-)

WR

johnny_fever, I re-caped my 3535 and had a crackle like you talked about. Turned out it was a noisy resistor in the power supply section. Replaced resistor and it's so quiet. I also converted the amp to ultra-linear. (because the UL taps were there on the output transformers) ;-)

WR

Are you still around? What other tube amps have you compared the q3535 to?

Back
Top Bottom