Any Reel guys interested in a tape swap?

Getting Close to Start of Tape Swap

Wardsweb said:
OK here is what I have for now. There will be two rotation groups. You record in 7.5ips, 1/4 track stereo. This means you have a forward play in stereo and a reverse play in stereo. To keep this simple you record any music you want. It gets sent to the next guy in the list. The last guy in the list send his to the first guy in the list. This continues until your tape returns to you. I will set some time frame to listen before sending the tape on. If you receive a tape you do not care for, just send it on. There will be no bashing of others music taste. Besides you may find you like something you've never heard before. Thats all part of the fun. You may start making a tape now, but do not send it yet. I will arrange the names so everyone is as close as I can get to the same distance apart.

10.5" Group
Forum Member Name
Klipsch dwilawyer
Klipsch tarheel
Klipsch bluesboy
AudioKarma wardsweb
AudioKarma pen_man
AudioKarma goldear
AudioKarma tapehead
AudioKarma wordman001
AudioKarma andyman

7.5" Group
AudioKarma wardsweb
AudioKarma johncan
AudioKarma mr slabi
AudioKarma mhardy664
AudioKarma dr*audio
AudioKarma boxoboom
AudioKarma mushy

Hello everyone!!!!

This is Travis, Luther's friend in Austin. I was the one who got a tape swap started in the Klipsch forum and it has run fairly smooth. I have prepared routing slips for everyone in the 10.5" group. It is pretty simple, I will email you each a routing slip to enclose with your tape, after you get it and listen to it you just send it on to the next person on the list. The last person on the list will be you, in other words, your tape is returned to you at the end.

I saw one post about concern over damage in shipping. I have shipped a lot of tapes and never had one damaged. Ship them in the tape box they came in and be sure to tape the end of the tape over onto the reel so it does not get loose in shipment. If you don't know what I am talking about don't be shy, let me know (email address is below) and I will send you a photo of what I am talking about. If you put the tape box in a standard record/lp shipping box it will arrive in perfect shape.

Our goal is to have everyone have their tapes recorded by this Sunday so that they can be shipped out on Monday. They will be sent via media mail, except to the person in Canada, I am not sure if you can media mail to Canada, or from Canada to US. We are figuring it will take a week for all tapes to get where they need to go. Then we will plan on mailing the tapes a week from then. So within 5 days we ship, allow a week for tapes to arrive, have a week to listen to it, then send it on. We don't want things to be too rushed, we don't want it to feel like work. If Sunday is too soon to get your tape done, post on here and we can either hold off or figure something out. I few have posted that their tapes are ready to go, please also post on here that your tape is ready. The good news is that we have great participation so it gives you almost two months to record your next tape!

For folks on the 10.5 list, you can also be on the 7.5 list. Luther and I are going to be doing both. It is double the work, have to record two tapes, ship two tapes every week, and listen to two tapes every week. For me I figure it is worth it because I am getting exposed to twice as much music, and twice as much equipment/technique. PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO DO BOTH. My email address is tcwesq@texas.net.

There are only a few rules:

It must be a tape you recorded, no prerecorded commercial tapes

Try to record at 7.5 IPS

There are no rules, as previously indicated in this thread, regarding the type or genre of music.

Please include your routing slip with your tape so that we can make sure it gets routed correctly and returned to you.

Please include the make and model of what your tape was recorded on, and if not apparent on the tape, the make and type of tape it is recorded on. Please indicated what type of noise reduction (NR) you used, if any.

If possible, please list the source equipment used, i.e., Nottingham Space Deck turntable, Hadcock 242 tonearm, Music Maker MM cartridge, etc.

I think that about covers it. Any idea or suggestions would be most appreciated. I am looking forward to emails from you so I can send you your routing lists, and whether anyone wants to double up on both lists.

Travis

blohrd3 said:
Is it to late to join? if not count me in.

Blohard,

It is not too late, are you going to record on 7" or 10.5" tape, or both? Email me your mailing address at tcwesq@texas.net and we will get you in. Are goal is to have everyones tape to go by this Sunday.

Travis

Johncan said:
I can do 7-1/2 inch reels. What tape should I try and find? I don't have any blank tapes, just pre-recorded stuff.

John,

Did you have any luck in finding a blank tape to record on? If not, let me know and we can try and dig something up for you.

Travis

cabinover said:
You'se guys are gonna make me spend a few hours in touch with my R2R this weekend aren't ya? That's fine with me if I can squeak out some extra hours to get in on this adventure.

Cabinover,

Are you still in? I hope so, just need to try and get your tape done by Sunday if you can. Need to email wardsweb or me (tcwesq@texas.net) with your address so I can fit you in the rotation.

Travis

HarryB said:
count me in.

Harry

HarryB,

Are you still in? Need you to email me or wardsweb (see previous post) with your mailing address, we are shooting for tapes being done by Sunday so they can be shipped next week.

Travis

Note: I have one concern: The tapes that get mailed to and from Canada can be an issue... Customs can be a serious b***h, and they consistently delay shipments both to and from Canada for more than a week in my experieince! And they will are very liekly to put a duty onto all shipments recieved into Canada. Also: Media mail travels at glatial speeds both to and from Canada. It can easily take a month or more in my experience! :eek: So.. the one week rotation is probably an overly ambitious schedule that has been layed-out here...

Being farily close to Canada myslef, I can forsee myself potentially getting seriously pinched with no time to listen, and always sending my tape off way late (dependind upon how the rotation is setup). :sigh: I'm not complaining here; I'm excited to participate! :banana: But it is an issue that you planners need to be aware of...

Delays

Obviously the person trying to listen to a tape in rotation sets the speed of the rotation, When You Recieve It & When You Listen To It........ You will then send it on to the next name on the list, we have to assume good will here..... :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Just a note to say I haven't forgotten about the swap. Still working with Travis to roll everyone in. Besides taking this at a nice slow pace is more in the style of enjoyment and not work, which is what we all want to get away from. Hang in there, the swap will happen.

I haven't even re-hooked up the TASCAM yet, so I think the pace is just about right :)

Fall is always nutzo time in New England; everything instantly ramps back up after labor day.

If my memory serves, we don't even have media mail up here. I have had plenty of luck with the mail system though for albums and such.

Wardsweb said:
Just a note to say I haven't forgotten about the swap. Still working with Travis to roll everyone in. Besides taking this at a nice slow pace is more in the style of enjoyment and not work, which is what we all want to get away from. Hang in there, the swap will happen.

How is everyone coming on getting their tapes recorded? If everyone could send me an email to let me know if you would be ready to ship next Monday I would appreciate it. In addition, I will reply with your routing slip so you will know what your rotation will be. My email address is tcwesq@texas.net.

Thanks,

Travis

We are getting close to LAUNCH DATE

I have received several emails from folks letting me know there tapes have been recorded and ready to go. I have sent each of you a reply. I have not heard from several folks by email yet, please let me know your status:

Ready
Not ready, need more time _____ days, a week, whatever
Not ready, count me out for this round, will catch up next time.

Just a quick short email will be fine, just so I will have everyone's email address to create an email group for 10.5" and an email for 7" group.

As things stand right now, we will all ship a week from tomorrow. Please email me at tcwesq@texas.net as soon as possible so that I can get everything finalized.

Travis

tcwesq@texas.net

Clarify Swap Tapes Idea

I hope not to be too negative, but I think this idea needs to be clarified to be successful.

The real gain of this idea it seems to me, is for those members into different machines, different tape formulations, different bias settings, all the variables that make analog such an involving hands on world. Those individuals take great pride in their knowledge, equipment, and results of their efforts. These probably would be time consuming carefully made recordings, on pricey tapes, on quality reels, or the differences would not be satisfying to the creator or easily comparable for the knowledge of differences to be learned.

Shipping the same tapes around involves lots of repeated mailing costs, many opportunities for handling damage, potential user problems, wrinkled tape, broken leaders, stored improperly at fast rewind speed, stored in a bad place overnight, breaks with splices, swapped reels, etc. Problems could lead to loss of pen pals.

If it is quickie recordings on not too expensive tape, on not too pricey reels, it may be easy, even if problems occur, but, then for what reason? Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like working for the post office to me.

Discussions, recommendations, downloads, copies of CDs can handle exposure to other types of music. Perfect R2R reproduction is not needed to decide if you want to hear more of something. Then, asking someone for an awesome analog copy of what you now know you like makes some sense to me, but, what is the analog tape to be made from? If a CD, just burn and mail a copy and let the recipient make his own tape.

Does that mean we are down to copies made from other tapes, LPs or Live Broadcasts? Well, those are also going to fit into the time consumng, quality and pricey materials, careful shipping category I think.

Reading the name of the thread, I thought you were going to suggest people list their duplicate, or unwanted prerecorded tapes, and work out a swap with others on the forum, this one for that, only shipping each tape once.

Hope I haven't been too much of a downer, Elliott

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. We're just swapping samplers. I for one really don't expect to hear a lot of difference in recording quality due to machines or formulations and am looking forward to hearing different comp tapes.

As far as expense, a couple of bucks every week to ship a tape really isn't that bad, especially when you get an exposure to some hopefully new music. After all, I don't think everyone's shipping their recording of "Dark side of the Moon", are they??

Heck, you want nuts? Check out the Crap Swap Thread; now that's something really wacky! :lmao:

FWIW:

- It is what it is. Like anything else, don't risk what you aren't willing to lose.
- Ship costs might be estimated based on how many people signed up.
- I'm just in it for the music. Whatever quality, whatever groups, however the
tapes are recorded on whatever machines, will all add to how interesting this can
be.

I have sent out the tape routing lists to everyone on the 10.5 inch and 7" lists. If you are on both lists you should have received two emails. If you indicated that you wanted to be on a tape swap list but did not receive and email from me (I was missing two email addresses) please email me right away so that I can get you your list.

We are planning to ship this Wed. if that is good for everyone.

You can email me directly with any questions, problems, etc. at tcwesq@texas.net.

Travis

Back
Top Bottom