Any Seattle Speakerlab fans out there????

Since we got a great thread going again, one related question. Have any of you recapped your SL crossovers or do you keep them untouched and ...sealed??
My 1977 4`s have never been opened and I am very hesitant to use the putty knife to pry off the woofers UNLESS there is really a benefit in recapping.
My 4`s sound great as they are to me but I am so used to them I might not be objective... Thoughts on recapping?

I have re-capped one pair of my 4s and noticed a significant improvement. I used the better quality Part Express non-electrolytic caps - a good value, in my opinion.

Don't be afraid to remove the drivers installed with the silicone adhesive. There have been several threads here over the years on how to do it, but some PATIENCE, a sharp knife, a screwdriver, and a paint can opener will do the trick without damaging the drivers. When I re-install them I use hurricane nuts to secure the drivers and rope caulk for sealing.

My current electronic music setup employs the 10-inch and 12-inch drivers used in the 7s housed in the 3.5 cubic foot enclosures from the original PSW-1 subwoofer powered via an M&K VX-1250 sub amp. Mids and highs are taken care of by a pair of re-built EPI 100s (Sir. Byrd re-foamed the woofers :yes:) with a sweet Clarity Cap powered by a NAD C326BEE integrated amp. I am REALLY happy with this combination. As a matter of fact, I no longer use the two dedicated subs that I had previously been using (a PE HF Reference Series 12-inch and an Adire Audio Shiva 12-inch). The subs could rattle the china downstairs if asked, but I prefer the sound quality of the SL drivers.

As long as we are on the topic...

I have noticed that the DAS models get some bad press around AK. I have had a pair of the DAS 4 models in continuous use since 1986. Mostly family room duty powered via a Kenwood KA-3500, so nothing too serious (at least when my wife is around), but I have found them to be very nice speakers. Decent base, clear mids and highs, a nice two-way all the way around. The cabinets are a nice medium wood veneer (cannot remember the actual type) and the quality of the cabinet construction is top notch. I plan to re-cap them one of these days just for fun to see if I can hear a difference. I installed boat seat swivels on the bottoms and a separate wood base. I swivel them around toward the kitchen for those occasions when the boom box next to the stove doesn't cut it.

I have re-capped one pair of my 4s and noticed a significant improvement. I used the better quality Part Express non-electrolytic caps - a good value, in my opinion.

Don't be afraid to remove the drivers installed with the silicone adhesive. There have been several threads here over the years on how to do it, but some PATIENCE, a sharp knife, a screwdriver, and a paint can opener will do the trick without damaging the drivers. When I re-install them I use hurricane nuts to secure the drivers and rope caulk for sealing.

My current electronic music setup employs the 10-inch and 12-inch drivers used in the 7s housed in the 3.5 cubic foot enclosures from the original PSW-1 subwoofer powered via an M&K VX-1250 sub amp. Mids and highs are taken care of by a pair of re-built EPI 100s (Sir. Byrd re-foamed the woofers :yes:) with a sweet Clarity Cap powered by a NAD C326BEE integrated amp. I am REALLY happy with this combination. As a matter of fact, I no longer use the two dedicated subs that I had previously been using (a PE HF Reference Series 12-inch and an Adire Audio Shiva 12-inch). The subs could rattle the china downstairs if asked, but I prefer the sound quality of the SL drivers.

thanks! I am putting this on my to do list!

I had some .1's, 2's, and the s9, with the passive sw10 Subwoofer. I still use the s9's on a regualr basis. Two years ago, I was looking through some sites, and I came across LSA speakers. After seeing the three different price levels for amounted to upgraded crossovers, and Lambs wool insulatiom, and then to some more crossover work and and an Arum Cantus Ribbon tweeter, it gave me an idea. How much better would the s9's sound with a higher quality crossover? They have Foster ribbon tweeters. I made some inquiries, and the current Speakerlab did not have the specs for the Legacy equipment, and didn't seem too interested. Finally, one of the Techs at Parts Express recommemded that I use a 3,500 hz crossover point. I found a guy on Ebay that was selling M & K crossovers that he bought at their auction when they closed, for $16, including shipping. I bought a set of Peerless woofers that went high enough for the crossover point from parts express ($25). Replaced the puss pins, with binding posts. The new crossovers have times as many components as before. Total amount spent: $50. Sound? Beyond expectations. Refinished the oak with a red mahogany stain and laquer. I will soon be putting an amp in the sub, which is also refinished. Someday, I will put together a 5.1 set, using Seas drivers, and custom finished PE curved cabinets. The Seas factory is near my Grandparents home town, and I will put viking ship badges on them. Once the speaker bug bites, you never lose that love of great speakers. In High School, I spent many hours in the Tacoma Seakerlab Store, and we built cabinets in wood shop, and bought the driver and crossovers. If I could spend my days in a wood shop, building speakers for a full time hobby, I would be a happy man.

I have had a few pairs of the Speakerlab speakers. One pair I bought a few years ago was built by a speakerlab worker for his own use. These are monster speakers with the parts from the K-Horns. they are a sealed box and will shake the house. Here is a pic of them next to a set of Speakerlab 7s. These custom speakers ROCK! They will work great with the 2 mono/stereo 240W tube amps I am building just for these speakers,. They weigh about 125lbs EA.. I answered a CL ad a few years ago and never got a response? About 2 days later I get a call and it is the lady who had these, She said her mail box was swamped with this add and she did not know what to do. So she read all the responses and when she read mine! (I have been looking for a pair like this and I hope you know that if I get these I will abuse the hell out of them!) She loved the reply :music: I ran over to there house and she told me that her first husband had built these when working at SL and they have been in this one spot in the den for over 30 years. I was very happy to take them home for $400

Anyway SL makes ROCK speakers and some of them are hard to beat.

Wildone

I need to delete some pics to add more!

I guess I am bringing this thread back from the grave.
I suspect I have a speaker lab 6 but full of EV components including EV x8 and x36 XO's.
Then I have an empty cabinet set that is a Bose 901 S1 knockoff which I know is a SL, it had a SL sticker on it.
Then over the weekend I bought a 3 way that had a 10" a 4" sealed back mid and a Horn. I think its an SL cos its got plywood sides, top and bottom but MDF front and rear.
I've thought about gutting it and replacing the baffles with plywood and fitting in a 8" and using it as a bass bin.
Cool.
Srinath.

Srinath,
RE: Plywood baffles.
I believe the reason that Speakerlab and it's contemporaries used particle board was for it's acoustic "deadness" - little or no ringing effect when compared to harder boards, such as plywood. There IS birch plywood - birch itself is relatively soft and doesn't ring as much as fir or hardwood plywoods. The "Baltic" birch designation means that it's a quality plywood with little or no gaps in the plies. Drawback: relatively expensive and usually only available at the boutique wood stores (WoodCraft, Rockler).
Another option would be MDF, not to be confused with particle board. Very dense and heavy, fairly inexpensive and readily available.

I have a pair of DAS8's which I put into a custom cabinet of my design. I'm a custom furniture maker with an interest in audio and a love of music. The cabinet keeps all the volume parameters for the subs, and isolates the mid and tweeter in a sub-enclosure. The outside case is heavily braced 1" MDF with lots of extra damping material. They are big. They sound wonderful. Have for decades. Really no need for a sub .Speakers.jpgSpeakers 2.jpg

I have a pair of DAS8's which I put into a custom cabinet of my design. I'm a custom furniture maker with an interest in audio and a love of music. The cabinet keeps all the volume parameters for the subs, and isolates the mid and tweeter in a sub-enclosure. The outside case is heavily braced 1" MDF with lots of extra damping material. They are big. They sound wonderful. Have for decades. Really no need for a sub .View attachment 878041View attachment 878043

Nicely done. Very attractive. About the grills though. The horizontal struts, if that is what they are, look like they would affect the tweeters dispersion characteristics. Exactly what are they? Its hard to tell from the picture.

Regards
Mister Pig

Nicely done. Very attractive. About the grills though. The horizontal struts, if that is what they are, look like they would affect the tweeters dispersion characteristics. Exactly what are they? Its hard to tell from the picture.

Regards
Mister Pig
I mis-spoke about the model Number. As you can probably discern, these are the DAS-7 drivers. The grill is 1/8" steel wire mesh that is nickel plated and knocked down to a satin sheen. I didn't do a formal (test instrument) test of the tweeter dispersion with and without the grill. I did do listening tests before committing to the grill and, surprisingly, tweeter dispersion seemed somewhat improved with the grill. As far as frequency response characteristics, I wasn't able to discern a difference. No damping or resonance from the grill. The grill is about 1/2" from the dome of the tweeter and the alignment of the horizontal part of the weave with the tweeter was intentional based on the seeming improvement or at least, lack of harm to the sound.
A couple other details.... The front face is angled in a few degrees. The case interior was baffled and damped as a transmission line. The case exterior is birdseye maple. The Top and Bottom are MDF painted with two slightly different tones of a metallic enamel called Dimenso. I adjusted the color and solvent mix to get this particular chatoyance pattern.Left Speaker Top Front detail.jpg

I mis-spoke about the model Number. As you can probably discern, these are the DAS-7 drivers. The grill is 1/8" steel wire mesh that is nickel plated and knocked down to a satin sheen. I didn't do a formal (test instrument) test of the tweeter dispersion with and without the grill. I did do listening tests before committing to the grill and, surprisingly, tweeter dispersion seemed somewhat improved with the grill. As far as frequency response characteristics, I wasn't able to discern a difference. No damping or resonance from the grill. The grill is about 1/2" from the dome of the tweeter and the alignment of the horizontal part of the weave with the tweeter was intentional based on the seeming improvement or at least, lack of harm to the sound.
A couple other details.... The front face is angled in a few degrees. The case interior was baffled and damped as a transmission line. The case exterior is birdseye maple. The Top and Bottom are MDF painted with two slightly different tones of a metallic enamel called Dimenso. I adjusted the color and solvent mix to get this particular chatoyance pattern.View attachment 878483

Very nice attention to detail, lovely speaker. Are you in the Seattle area? Most Speaker lab owners seem to reside in the PNW.

Regards
Mister Pig

Speakerlab was a Godsend to all of us young DIY audio-geeks in the greater Seattle area back in the day. Dave Graebner used to put on seminars every once in awhile where I got to meet him and spend a bit of time in his research lab - an outbuilding at his north-end place. The guy was a true believer and the epitome of a laid back North Westerner.

Grew up with Tom (elem, middle and high schools), Pat's son and remember both fondly during elementary years. What a trip the whole family was, and super nice folks. Smart all around, a gift and fun times. I remember many times going over to Pat's house, via Tom's friendship and Cub Scouts, and completely astonished by the large speakers in their house. I was not into audio (other than Partridge Family and the Monkeys albums on a stack loader box player) at that time. However, what they had around the house was impressive, to this kid at least, and it influenced me big time much later in life both musically and professionally.

The Roosevelt store was the deal, lots going on, and I grew up as a teen and adult visiting it and Magnolia HiFi. My family owned buildings on the same block but across Roosevelt, so I was over there a TON. Not much other than amazing things came in and out of that store, people, and the listening. Great memories of the 60/70 and 80s and PacNW audio.

RIP Tom.

Last edited:
Another resurrection....

I bought a pair of 1's back in 1979 when I was 16 years old. I was amazed sitting in the showroom in Seattle listening to "Tank" by Emerson, Lake and Palmer over the K's! But the 1's were all I could afford then. Around 1982 a friend of mine and me visited KISW and they had 7's in the booth as monitors... I thought that was pretty cool .

In 1995 I bought a pair of used 7's that needed new cabinets. I built new cabinets out of particle board and Teak veneer. Hauled them around the world with me over eight military moves and they got all dinged up.

Just recently I began refinishing the 7's in Oak veneer.
Link to that thread with pics....
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/speakerlab-7s.827302/

Last edited:
Another resurrection....

I bought a pair of 1's back in 1979 when I was 16 years old. I was amazed sitting in the showroom in Seattle listening to "Tank" by Emerson, Lake and Palmer over the K's! But the 1's were all I could afford then. Around 1982 a friend of mine and me visited KISW and they had 7's in the booth as monitors... I thought that was pretty cool .

In 1995 I bought a pair of used 7's that needed new cabinets. I built new cabinets out of particle board and Teak veneer. Hauled them around the world with me over eight military moves and they got all dinged up.

Just recently I began refinishing the 7's in Oak veneer.
Link to that thread with pics....
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/speakerlab-7s.827302/

Cool story. I just noticed your location. My Dad was born in Davenport, Wa and my Grandfather bought a farm in '39 near Spangle. Growing up I used to spend my summers over there when my parents didn't want me around. I miss that area.

Oh, great looking speakers too!

Cheers,
James

I've had one or two of their builds pass through here and currently have a set of Nestorovic S40s in need of foam that I picked up solely for the ribbon tweeters. These are on the short list and sound intriguing based upon a test with surrounds dry fit to the drivers.

20180317_170435.jpg 20180317_170435-1.jpg

Last edited:
Bring this topic back up....

What do youse guys think of Speakerlab 4's? There's a pair I am considering. Looks to be in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom