Any Snowmobiliers on the forum ??

twitch54

With up to a foot of snow in the forecast sled season can't be far off. Myself a sledder for the past 38 years I was wondering if there any others here that share my same passion ??

FWIW, I just picked up a new Cat, F1100 N/A

Yeah, I like to snowmobile but not too hardcore about it. Driving an older sled, 2003(?) Polaris 700 Edge-X. Needs to have the track drive shaft bearings replaced before the snow starts to fly.

I had one of those sleds myself, great motor, I miss the 700. Bearing issue is a classic Poo problem, I'm assuming the tell-tale sign.........speedo quit working.

Yup. Speedo quit working.

If I get real froggy I just might put in commonly recommended clutching and jetting formula too.

Can't afford one right now, otherwise, I'd be riding. Great snowmobiling opportunities in this area. If you're a mountain rider, that is. :D

yeah, my youngest boy lives up in the mtns outside of Denver, they had 14" last week. He rides his mtn sled in the snow season and races one on the asphalt @ Bandimere during the warmer months.

Bought my first sled last year one month before the rain came. 1999 Skidoo Touring SLE, 500 fan with 1900 miles on her. Comfortable plush seat with back rest for the passenger.

Spent two weeks trying to get a voltage regulator so the lights would stop blowing.

My kids drove a hundred miles around my house in that time.

The following week I took a day off and went on a thirty mile ride with my wife on the back and her father/stepmother. Crashed into stepmother, going backwards down an icy spot in the trail. Lost a taillight but no one got hurt.

The following day it started raining and killed all of our snow.

Really hoping this year to do a lot more riding. Maybe even find the wife her own sled. She wasn't that comfy on the skidoo and seemed to like the ergonomics of a Polaris better. Then again maybe it was the constant correction needed to steer with worn out skegs. :D

Can't wait for the snow ! I have a 2000 Ski-Doo Grand Touring 600., quick too for a touring sled.

GrandTouring.jpg

Nice lookin' ride Mickey ! I just came off three years riding Doo (800R Renegade), going back to Cat after a twenty one year hiatis. I really like the new Cat design not to mention after 38 years in this sport I'm going with a four stroke.

Nice lookin' ride Mickey ! I just came off three years riding Doo (800R Renegade), going back to Cat after a twenty one year hiatis. I really like the new Cat design not to mention after 38 years in this sport I'm going with a four stroke.

Nice...I would love to upgrade to a newer 4 stroke machine someday, that BRP oil isn't cheap.

Any pics of the Cat?

Any pics of the Cat?

Not yet, it's still @ my dealer up in Eagle Bay, NY, I'll be keeping this year @ my buddys place on Big Moose Lake.

here's a pic or two of previous rides.....my 800r Ski-Doo and my '94 Polaris Storm that I rebuilt into a 1000cc drag race sled (118.7 mph in 1000')

Last edited:
It's at around 8,500 feet outside Steamboat Springs, Colorado. It's been an annual skiing trip with friends for several years.

Those are very heavy mountain sleds, and we went on a trip that was, well, an experience of a lifetime. We each had our own, nobody rode double, and the three of us plus the guide was the whole group. The guide said that his company was going to branch out from the usual tame little cruise around the flats, and instead give you something to remember. It included 70 mph++ down groomed trails, enormous big looping turns across mountain meadows, had one roll over on top of me and damn near broke my leg. The guide said: "Yeah, I've never actually been on that slope before." :yikes: Almost went down into a stream hidden 10' down under the snow. I'm an experienced skier, regularly ski the black diamond runs, and we took the sleds down slopes I would never try on skis. Seriously, all you could do was point it down and keep it going straight.

After one run we asked the guide if he had secretly taken out life insurance policies on all of us. He laughed and said: "Trust me, I've been watching all three of you all morning. If I had any reservations at all, we wouldn't have been doing what we've been doing. Y'all are doing just great. Ok, enough talking, let's go!!". 100% of the day was ungroomed remote mountain sledding.

We sort of agreed that we wouldn't do it again, because if we tried to top this trip, we might not survive the next one. Seriously.

You can see trees in the foreground, and trees in the distance, and that giant bare spot. That was due to a freak microburst of 100 ++ mph winds several years ago. Just flattened that entire area.

attachment.php

Not just first tracks...no tracks:

attachment.php

2010-03-02%2B13.54.19.jpg

That is NOT a ski run on the side of that far mountain, it's an avalanche shute!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2010-03-02%2B11.05.16[1].jpg
    2010-03-02%2B11.05.16[1].jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 2010-03-02%2B13.48.29[1].jpg
    2010-03-02%2B13.48.29[1].jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 2010-03-02%2B13.54.06.jpg
    2010-03-02%2B13.54.06.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I've wanted one of these since it was introduced. Yeah, there's sleds out there now that will shame it, but the first 700 really wailed. HyMark clutch, SLP pipes, and a different windshield. :D They're cheap too, but I need a pickup truck first.

700rmk01.jpg

Hey Jailtime, nice looking Poo 700, yeah those early production 700 twins from the late nineties were the tits, jetting and port timing allowed them to make very good HP #'s. Given todays ethanol based fuels I would run at least one size 'fatter' jetting.

Yup. Speedo quit working.

If I get real froggy I just might put in commonly recommended clutching and jetting formula too.
Now you know what that grease fitting is for.:D

My XC gets a couple pumps after every ride.

The few minutes it takes to pop the driven off is a walk in the park compared to dealing with those bearings during the riding season.

Having gotten over the big numbers games and who's sled is the fastest, i've gone back to just plain old riding. Got a wild hair to put together a deep woods/trail machine a few years back so i cobbled together this beast from a dead and unloved '93 440 Cougar. It's really a blast to ride, short, light, and very nimble. It's clutched and geared for aggressive woods riding. I don't care much for trails, i'd rather break my own and watch those who try to follow suffer.:D

94cat.jpg

catmotor.jpg

Here's my ride:
photobucket-2137-1320077915087.jpg

2002 Polaris edge XCSP 800.. Stock..except for raised handlebars and 144 studs..

I also grease everything after every couple rides. Use a thin grease meant for cold weather applications.

Around where I live I rarely use all the available power.. most of my riding is done on the trails, but our trails are almost like breaking your own. Bluff country.. up and down and around just about every tree in Buffalo county.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom