Any Soundcraftsmen owners in here?

Fixed the noise issue in Soundcraftsmen. Just needed some deoxit love. Sprayed that all inside the amp and connectors...bunch of rust came out. Now all the noise is gone plus the volume on both channels is even. This Soundcraftsmen is now a whole new beast. Its running cooler, sound is clearer and no more issues. I tried the popular Adcom 555 on the Dahlquist speakers and now the Soundcraftsmen which is much more detailed, natural and deep than Adcom. Its truly an amazing amp.

SC EQ problem

Fleebay purchase; arrived with the differential lights pegged on, output signal has BAD BUZZ for output? Hope it's not fryed will pass signal when EQ function is sw out.

Is this a common issue with these older units, if you have any specific feedback please express an opinion. If there is a more likely failure please let me know what you think...

This is a nice unit and in good cosmetic condition. Not many of these out there Soundcraftsmen DC4415 21 band 1/3 octave EQ mnf 1985-1988, but the differential circuit was very common to most all SC EQ's.

Seller claimed no problem prior to shipping. :thumbsdn:

Attachments

• SoundcraftsmenDC4415  21band.jpg
    SoundcraftsmenDC4415 21band.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 55
Fixed the noise issue in Soundcraftsmen. Just needed some deoxit love. Sprayed that all inside the amp and connectors...bunch of rust came out. Now all the noise is gone plus the volume on both channels is even. This Soundcraftsmen is now a whole new beast. Its running cooler, sound is clearer and no more issues. I tried the popular Adcom 555 on the Dahlquist speakers and now the Soundcraftsmen which is much more detailed, natural and deep than Adcom. Its truly an amazing amp.

:beerchug:

Fleebay purchase; arrived with the differential lights pegged on, output signal has BAD BUZZ for output? Hope it's not fryed will pass signal when EQ function is sw out.

Is this a common issue with these older units, if you have any specific feedback please express an opinion. If there is a more likely failure please let me know what you think...

This is a nice unit and in good cosmetic condition. Not many of these out there Soundcraftsmen DC4415 21 band 1/3 octave EQ mnf 1985-1988, but the differential circuit was very common to most all SC EQ's.

Strange things can happen to older equipment of any kind that has sat in the same place for a long time and then moved. Refrigerators and freezers are a perfect example, they can work fine for 25-35 years in the same place but once you try to move one that old the mortality rate is very high, 70-90% in my experience. I have a freezer that is over 35 years old, moved it once 28 years ago. Works fine but when I sell the house in a couple of years it goes with the house.

First post, so HI ALL!
I have bought a PE2217 and I'm currently trying to make it work.
Some mechanical damage to the rear RCA inputs (which are not soldered but wire-wrapped) panel, and the (false) wood cabinet broken into pieces...also seriously thinking to re-cap, after verification if it works.
I am looking for the manual, but failed to find it.
Can someone help?
Thanks in advance.
Fabio

PS: starting now in this field, so a perfect novice, need all the advice everybody deems necessary.
This pre/eq will be connected to a Yamaha m65 and a pair of AR44bx /Infinity RS6.
Sources will be a CD Marantz (don't remember the model) and a DAC connected to a PC.

Last edited:

I agree that moving things, or more specifically, unplugging equipment that was plugged in for years can cause issues. The connectors may develop oxidation around them and only time it will be audible is when you unplug and plug back in.
In my experience, deoxit should be applied to all old equipment, even for prevention if there is no issue at hand. It helps with things other than sound issues.
If the only thing you hear is a buzz without any other audio then most likely its a bad component in there. Start taking a closer look at connectors.
If there is a bad component then the person who sold it to you might not have been honest about the condition.

Hi everybody ... I've got a model A5002 amp I've had for a little over 30 years now...
I bought it used from a guy who was closing his bar and used it for his DJ set up (which I worked on occasion) ... I continued using it to DJ various bars / weddings / etc. and even as a monitor amp for a band I was doing sound for ... I've got all the original documentation including the Certificate of Performance and the packing and inspection report ... Unfortunately, it locked in the protection mode the other day and hasn't reset yet ... I'm hoping that a local music equipment repair facility can fix it, but I'd like to have a repair manual to provide just in case ...
That's how I stumbled onto this site and I've been reading for HOURS ...
Thanks for all the great posts ...

I agree that moving things, or more specifically, unplugging equipment that was plugged in for years can cause issues. The connectors may develop oxidation around them and only time it will be audible is when you unplug and plug back in.
In my experience, deoxit should be applied to all old equipment, even for prevention if there is no issue at hand. It helps with things other than sound issues.
If the only thing you hear is a buzz without any other audio then most likely its a bad component in there. Start taking a closer look at connectors.
If there is a bad component then the person who sold it to you might not have been honest about the condition.

Unfortunately this is a commonly held misconception. You will often cause harm to otherwise functioning pots or at the very least, be forced to continualy retreat with the not so silver bullet Deoxit.

To fabio53. Deoxit is a valuable tool when the proper product is applied in the correct manor. There are Deoxit cleaners/deoxidizers and there are lubricants to name just a few. All pots are not built using the same materials and depending on their construction a specific product should be used. If it is not absolutely necessary to clean and lube a pot then don't. Ever notice that velvety, almost thick feel when you turn a knob on a piece of vintage gear? When you clean it and then use a lubricant such as Deoxit you've just destroyed that damped feel when you turn the knob. You simply don't get that with Deoxit lubricants.

When properly applied, with the correct product, in a needed situation Deoxit has some wonderful products. Unfortunately, it tends to get misused and over used frequently.

Last edited:
SC pe ramp phono likely capacitance??

Soundcraftsman CX4000 preamp...

CX/expansion definately functions with the cassette, if so desired.

Missed out on fleebay "CBS CX test LP" for setting the calibration, Oh well not any CX albums as of yet anyway.

Would really like to know what the phono1 phono2 sections fixed capacitance values are, is there a simple test one can check at the RCA inputs? Owners manual is no help. :tears:

Last edited:
New Soundcraftsmen Acquisition

I've used the Pro-PT Two pre-amp/tuner in a couple of my systems for several years. Simple to operate and perfect for a system where critical listening is not the primary use. But I've been intrigued by the Pro-PT 5R for years with its better specs and the prospect of a TOTL vintage pre-amp with remote control. Hard to find one that hasn't been abused, or one with the remote present and in working condition.

I came across an Ebay item recently that included the Pro-PT FiveR with remote and a Pro-Power-Four amp, both in original boxes with performance reports and manuals. I already have one of these amps and it's a real sleeper with some kick-ass bass output on appropriate speakers. I always figured having two and bridging them would make for an awesome solution for the JBL 250tis, and then I fell into a Crown Studio Reference-II and forgot about the SC PP4. But the Pro-PT 5R still had my attention.

The seller was easy to work with. He accepted my second offer after his counter, promised to double-box, charged me a reasonable amount for shipping in two boxes and promised he'd ship them in two days. It took him only one and he even refunded the shipping overcharge to me immediately. That's the rare honest eBay seller these days.

Well, they arrived yesterday via USPS in good shape and very well boxed with protection between the original SC packaging and the sturdy outer box. Extra stuffing inside the originals to make sure they didn't shift or get crushed, too. A great job that took me nearly an hour to unpack and appropriately organize the material for re-cycling. The PT showed the typical SC tendency to lose paint on the top edge and I'll go over the seller's MagicMarker repair attempt with some enamel I have that matches SC's paint perfectly. The amp looks like it was never out of the box and shows not one speck of dust in the fan and vent on the rear panel. I'd call it perfect.

Hooked them up to one of my pair of JBL L7s in my (small) speaker room and used my iPod classic with simply the headphone jack to RCA interconnect and the sound was fantastic, as expected. The Pro-Power-Four allows switching between or including two speaker pairs so I connected JBL L96s to the "B" output and enjoyed swapping back and forth while allowing the SC components to get fully warmed up and broken in. No problems after four-hours of playing. These were nothing I needed and won't replace the Pro-Control-Four, Pro-EQ-44, Pro-Tuner Four in my main system with JBL 4345s and Crown PS400 and PS200 bi-amped. They will make a great system in a future room or in one of my kids' homes in the future. If nothing else, I'm preserving the legacy of another great USA manufacturer no longer with us.

So, for posterity, here they are in the original auction photos:

Great find, BMW. I always dug Soundcraftsmen.

How good are the tuner specs, or its performance/sound in actual use? I'd like to find one of those instead some of the other tuner-pres out like the Adcoms.

Does it have 2 sets of RCA pre outs for bi-amping?

I'd have to copy the specs, FWIW. I also have an Adcom with tuner, two Soundcraftsmen Pro-Tuner Fours, a Crown FM THREE, Crown FM FOUR, and an old Sherwood. Not really much to listen to around here but they all seem to work well enough.

This is my second PT5R. The first I purchased from Bartertown and it has never worked properly. Won't switch sources. Only one input working. Volume control not regulating output properly. Now that I have another to compare, I see it wasn't operator error!

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I have a DX4200 and A5002 that I bought new in 1988. Anyone know a good place in Minnesota to have these gone through and recapped? The system hums pretty good as it's warming up.

Hey Alajoyn are you still out there?, I picked up a soundcraftsman La 2502 recently and after checking things over it looks to be in good shape except for the heart , the transformer that is after testing it appears to be smoked. I have been looking for somebody that can tell me the output voltages of this transformer. I have downloaded the scehmatis and I did find that one pair of secondarys that go to thru the bridge rectifier is 68-70 volts. the other pair goes to the led board and I can't find any more info. I'm thinking that it is possible to use 2 smaller transformers one for each circuit. If you or anybody else has more info on these great old amps I would really appreciate it. Mike D.

To goat67 if you are still out there please drop an answer to me as I have an issue with my LA2502 amp and it looks like we are only 85 miles apart {N.W. Wisconsin}

Back
Top Bottom