Any Steppenwolf fans here?

Longtime fan since I bought their first album in 1968. Loved every LP up through Monster. Seems like John ran out of things to protest about. Their debut album, 'Steppenwolf' is one of my 10 favorite LPs. Every song is outstanding. I saw them live in 1969 the show was great but I was somewhat disappointed with the sound quality. Their equipment wasn't suited for a large venue.

I had the privlege of repairing John Kay's Pioneer TV 2 years ago. John lives in a beautiful valley off the Natchez Trace Parkway in Middle Tennesse. We jabbered a while about relevence and topicality. John is a big supporter of public radio here. I doubt John has run out of topics for songs. Steppenwolf (the Wolf) was intended from the start to be an evolutionary band. Look at the album credits and you will find regular personnel changes. John tours a bit each summer as Steppenwolf, with a younger group of band members. His songs are always the focus. (actually 50% of the songs are written by others)
I had to get an autograph on an album, and of course I took Monster. It is good to see so many AKers are fans. John played a benefit for my son's school 5 years ago. He came out in shades with a steel bodied guitar and played blues. The first song had no PA...he didn't flinch and just played! At the end of the concert all the performers joined in a "Will the Circle be Unbroken" finale, with John carrying the powerful bass line. Oddly, it seemed a bit on the soft side for the icon who sang "heavy metal thunder..." but he carries so much respect for the power in music, and that is certainly a powerful song.

I had the privlege of repairing John Kay's Pioneer TV 2 years ago. John lives in a beautiful valley off the Natchez Trace Parkway in Middle Tennesse. We jabbered a while about relevence and topicality. John is a big supporter of public radio here. I doubt John has run out of topics for songs. Steppenwolf (the Wolf) was intended from the start to be an evolutionary band. Look at the album credits and you will find regular personnel changes. John tours a bit each summer as Steppenwolf, with a younger group of band members. His songs are always the focus. (actually 50% of the songs are written by others)
I had to get an autograph on an album, and of course I took Monster. It is good to see so many AKers are fans. John played a benefit for my son's school 5 years ago. He came out in shades with a steel bodied guitar and played blues. The first song had no PA...he didn't flinch and just played! At the end of the concert all the performers joined in a "Will the Circle be Unbroken" finale, with John carrying the powerful bass line. Oddly, it seemed a bit on the soft side for the icon who sang "heavy metal thunder..." but he carries so much respect for the power in music, and that is certainly a powerful song.

Very cool story there, Doc. And I agree about him not running out of topics for relevant songs.

It seemed like every band during that era had to do an "America. what's happened to you?" song. REO's Golden Country comes to mind as another decent one, but Monster was, IMHO, the best. A number of Steppenwolf's early songs were written by 'Mars Bonfire', who was actually Hoyt Axton, but I don't recall if he had a part in Monster.

Steppenwolf's version of "Hoochie Coochie Man" was one of my first (and most beloved) introductions to the blues. Fantastic!

I've also been a fan from around 72 and I did not even know he was blind until about 1990. One of rocks early greats.

Interesting. I saw an interview with Hoyt Axton where he said that he had written for Steppenwolf under the name Mars Bonfire, and discussed the song 'Snowblind Friend' as one he had written under that name, but later put on one of his albums.

Axton also wrote the Pusher.

I just spent the better part of yesterday listening to all my Steppenwolf LP's. I haven't played them in some time and I really believe that this band has never been given the real respect it deserved. Everyone knows "Born To be Wild" and "Magic Carpet Ride" and they have been played to death on the radio to the point that it makes you sick. Their LP's were something else: "Monster"; "At Your Birthday Party"; "The Second"; "Live", "For Ladies Only".. and more. These were some GREAT recordings. This band could easily blow away most bands today. I really believe that this was a great band and maybe someday they'll be given that respect.

Been a Steppenwolf fan since about 1974-75 when I got my first turntable (okay, record mauler with a penny for a tonearm tracking weight) and Steppenwolf was one of the first albums I got. Still have it too. I'll have to give it a listening-to again real soon.

My favorite "Magic Carpet Ride". In the Star Trek movie "First Contact" when he popped in the mini CD as the converted ICBM was launching,playing magic carpet ride my favorite part of the flick. :thmbsp:

Dave

Interesting. I saw an interview with Hoyt Axton where he said that he had written for Steppenwolf under the name Mars Bonfire, and discussed the song 'Snowblind Friend' as one he had written under that name, but later put on one of his albums.

Hoyt was a bit of...no...one hell of a jokester. And a first-class hell-raising monger extraordinaire with few contemporary peers. Well, maybe Harry Nilsson.

Other than the over played radio hits I don't know jack about Steppenwolf. I'll pick up "Monster" to start with.

I remember seeing them in the early 80's at biker bar in south Jersey. Pretty rough crowd, but he pulled it off very well ( as you would expect from someone whose signature tune is Born to be Wild).It was a tiny "hole in the wall" place and you were never more than 10 feet from the stage! I couldn't hear for a few days, but it was well worth it!!

Ray

Back
Top Bottom