Any suggestions for big speaker craters / shippers in Chicago area?

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by milosz, Oct 3, 2016.

1. milosz

milosz Member

I've got some floorstanders I want to ship. Anybody got any recommendations for a place near Chicago here where I could drop the speakers off and they will take care of the crating and shipping? I figure there's got to be something out near O'Hare.... I am particularly looking for a recommendation of a company someone has actually used before.

THANKS!!!

2. milosz

milosz Member

No one?

3. asilker

asilker Bible Reader Subscriber

I don't know of one, but I would like to...

4. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

I don't know of anyone in your area - - but when I had my Tannoy's shipped from East to West I worked with a local audio shop who knew what they were doing. Wasn't cheap but I wasn't going to take any chances and they even arranged for temporary coverage too.

5. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

6. stevo137

stevo137 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Shipping to where?

If you could provide a few more details, speaker size and weight etc. it would be helpful.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  7. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would try a couple of local Hi Fi stores and see what they suggest for pack and ship.

Saturday Audio is still in business & they used to sell and ship used speakers on AudioGon.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

asilker likes this.
  8. StraitNet

StraitNet New Member

You may want to at least browse the site / service called Uship.com.
    It has been several years since I checked them out but they seemed to have a pretty good bidding system in place where you can get quotes from an assortment of moving contractors.
    You just signup..make a post stating what you have and where it's going then wait for quotes to come in.
    Worth a shot perhaps.

9. milosz

milosz Member

[​IMG]
    Pair of Red Rose Classic speakers
    65 lb ea

Attached Files:

10. olson_jr

Is the reason that you want to ship because you are planning on selling them?

If that is the case try advertising on some of the free sites and make it pick up only. I just had someone drive 5 hours to buy a pair of speakers I did not want to ship.

botrytis likes this.
  11. milosz

milosz Member

Yes I plan to sell them, I have too many speakers. It is my plan to offer them "pickup only" at first but I feel the chances for that working are not high.

I can also deliver them locally, have a truck and some guys, etc.

I like the way they sound and look, and I'm procrastinating on selling them... LOL - I just have way too many speakers.

The others are my "keepers" - ( Magneplanar MG3.6r's triamped with a DEQX, and a pair of Quad ESL-57's ) and home-brew (see picture) -

One of my homebrew speakers. Designed to be tri-amped. There's another 10" driver on the other side. These are currently planned for updating to a different tweeter, an Aurum Cantus AMT tweeter that can cross over lower than these ribbons.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  12. olson_jr

I have had very good luck selling locally using US Audio Mart. They have a search local area function and it seems to get heavy traffic. They also tie your AudioGon feedback in, so if you were a former A'Gon user, with good feedback folks can see that.

Beautiful speakers, good luck.