Any SX-434 fans here?

Eywadude

Lunatic Member
I picked up a little SX-434 for $10 a few months ago, and I have been pleasantly surprised with its performance. I have owned and listened to several larger 70's SX models in the past, and I can honestly say I'd rather have this little SX-434 over any of them. It's warm, musical, bold and dynamic, and it has surprisingly decent bass performance and clarity (really didn't expect that), as well as nice soundstage depth and width. I know I might get flack from other people on AK for liking it (for varying reasons I'm sure), but I don't know, I just like it. :p

Is it technically better in its overall presentation than other pieces I own though? Nope. However, IMHO it's better than a bunch of other vintage and modern gear I've owned, including some TOTL pieces, that I can honestly say with a straight face that I would not choose over this little thing. Honest to goodness. It certainly won't beat my "reference" pieces, but a satisfying listen always seems to be the order of the day when I have music playing through it, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Overall, color me surprised.

So, are there any other SX-434 fans out there? Anyone else here been surprised by an SX-434? What say you?.....

Last edited:
I haven't owned a SX-434 but l am a fan of this series of receivers and have owned three from it. I don't think you would get flack off anyone for liking your SX-434, many of the lower powered models are great sonically.
I would agree that often a less valued piece can show up a more desirable piece. Glad you really like your 434, all the best :).

I bought mine in 1975. Still have it and run it in the spare bedroom. It and a Sansui 2000 are hooked up and when my grand-daughter visits, she and I fight over which one she's gonna play on speakers and I get heaphones (She's 5 and I DO KEEP an EYE on her). I usually end up on the Sansui while she gets the 434 rockin. Enough that I can feel it thru my chair from the CS-66g's. She likes the Sansui but likes that little 434 more. I have started likening my larger x3x (737, 939)receivers as 434's with more and bigger ball's. I'll include the 1010 in this catagorization. The 434 is well engineered, well designed, and certainly well built for the years it's survived and still kicks butt. If it can survive 20 plus moves while in the Navy and out including cross country moves before settling down without it's original pkg's (I tossed it all the day I got it). is a survivor.

I bought mine in 1975. Still have it and run it in the spare bedroom. It and a Sansui 2000 are hooked up and when my grand-daughter visits, she and I fight over which one she's gonna play on speakers and I get heaphones (She's 5 and I DO KEEP an EYE on her). I usually end up on the Sansui while she gets the 434 rockin. Enough that I can feel it thru my chair from the CS-66g's. She likes the Sansui but likes that little 434 more. I have started likening my larger x3x (737, 939)receivers as 434's with more and bigger ball's. I'll include the 1010 in this catagorization. The 434 is well engineered, well designed, and certainly well built for the years it's survived and still kicks butt. If it can survive 20 plus moves while in the Navy and out including cross country moves before settling down without it's original pkg's (I tossed it all the day I got it). is a survivor.

Cool, thanks for sharing. :) I bet your 434 will last long enough so that one day your granddaughter will inherit it. Keep her interested in music and teach her the importance of good gear (eventually anyway), and one day she just might be the one taking care of it for 40+ years. ;)

I'm listening to mine now. Did a full recap in an afternoon and gave it to my wife for her office. A bluetooth adapter let her get rid of the crappy computer speakers that so offended my ears. This is the second 434 that I've done - first was free, this one cost $10. They sound great and look great too, responding especially well to an LED upgrade. I always put a blue LED in the meter because that always gets discolored with age.

I'm listening to mine now. Did a full recap in an afternoon and gave it to my wife for her office. A bluetooth adapter let her get rid of the crappy computer speakers that so offended my ears. This is the second 434 that I've done - first was free, this one cost $10. They sound great and look great too, responding especially well to an LED upgrade. I always put a blue LED in the meter because that always gets discolored with age.

Huh, that's a good idea about the meter light. Mine is starting to get that faded green color, and it's a little more pale in the area where the bulb is. Good on you for refreshing a couple more of these little tykes for another 40 years of use. :)

Last edited:
Am I a fan???
I own 3 of them.
I'll probably buy another if I get a chance.

Wow, three of them???.....Do you like 'em or something? :p I'm only being silly of course, but what is it about them that you like? Feel free to elaborate. :) BTW, who is that in your user pic? I can't tell if that's Nicholas Cage, or Rob Reiner circa 1974. lol

I loved mine but passed it along to another AK'r who was building a budget rig for his sister in law. If one comes along at a fair priced I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

I got a pretty SX-424 several years ago (on Barter Town) and it made for a sweet little office system. Later it went to the living room of a friend's house, where it lives and plays to this day. Lovely sound through Pioneer BS22 bookshelves.

Last edited:
SX 434
inexpensive
beautiful
nice size
generally trouble free
underrated power(I've used 60 - 100W speakers with no problem)
great vintage sound
strong tuner - cool blue backlight

Last edited:
i dont own an SX-434 but i really want to get one. i hop online every here and there and hope to find one for not to expensive and not working so i have a project to play with.
it would look real good with my SX-636!

SX 434
inexpensive
beautiful
nice size
generally trouble free
underrated power(I've used 60 - 100W speakers with no problem)
great vintage sound
strong tuner - cool blue backlight

avatar is either a severely demented pablo escobar, or andy K

I'm a big fan of the x2x and x3x series. Especially the lower power units like the 434. I've brought a couple of 434's back to life and moved them on. Very nice sounding units.

An old friend gave me an SX-434 last fall. It was a one-owner, low mileage unit that cleaned up beautifully. I recapped it and replaced the transistors, matching them for hfe values. New LED panel lamps and stereo indicator, too. The sound quality out of this little 15 watt receiver was just astounding. It is now doing main system service in our daughter's home, she loves it.

Attachments

• SX-434.jpg
    SX-434.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom