Any techs in Surrey UK?

eldarvanyar

Hi,
are there any techs who service Yamaha HiFi in the Surrey or SW London area in the UK?
Or does any one know of any good ones in the UK?

Thanks

MC Electronics in Bedford serviced my CR receivers. Very quick service and very reasonable. It took a couple of goes to get things right, but I am very happy now. Not that convenient for Surrey though!

Simon

MC Electronics in Bedford serviced my CR receivers. Very quick service and very reasonable. It took a couple of goes to get things right, but I am very happy now. Not that convenient for Surrey though!

Simon

Thanks Simon,
I shall bare them in mind. I have looked them up on google. When you say it toook a couple of goes to get it right what do you mean?

Thanks

Lee

The CR820 was lighting up, but not coming out of protection. They found non-working transistors and replaced them - no problem. Cost about £50.

The CR1020 had an intermittent fault - it went into protection with a speaker threatening bang after anything from 30 mins to 3 hours. First they serviced it (not sure what exactly they did - not the best communicators always) for about £40 but it actually sounded worse. The fault returned too. I took it back, they changed all the transistors in the power supply (£30). Fault gone, sound better than ever.

They only ask £15 for looking at something (much less than the service centre at any hifi dealers I know - in fact they do the work for Sevenoaks in Bedford). I took in a Leak amp that I had been given, and told by the knowledgeable owner was faulty. They found nothing, so it only cost £15.

Hope that helps. What are you looking to get worked on?

I have a Yamaha CR-1000 which I bought a couple of years ago and have not used yet. I did test it last year and all seemed ok but I want to be sure for safety reasons as well as sound.

I am also waiting for a CA-1010 to come up on ebay and would like to get it checked over and serviced etc

I also have a Sony ST-4950 I would like looking at for a service

I have lots of newer hi-fi but I am attracted to the build quality, looks etc of the 70s era. I am fed up of looking at boring 90's black boxs.

I don't know why but I particularly like the 'look' of the Yamaha's and Sony's of the era.

I think you have good taste! The CR1000 is a great looking piece, and the CA1010 should be fantastic - never had the chance to hear one myself.

Do you also have a Yamaha TT? (inspired guess from the picture) Have been looking for one to add to my collection. I certainly agree regarding the black boxes. I have an 8000A sitting on the desk beside me, but my eyes are drawn to the Trough Line on top of it!

I wonder about safety too. Haven't seen many posts here. Perhaps we should start a new thread?

Simon

I think you have good taste! The CR1000 is a great looking piece, and the CA1010 should be fantastic - never had the chance to hear one myself.

Do you also have a Yamaha TT? (inspired guess from the picture) Have been looking for one to add to my collection. I certainly agree regarding the black boxes. I have an 8000A sitting on the desk beside me, but my eyes are drawn to the Trough Line on top of it!

I wonder about safety too. Haven't seen many posts here. Perhaps we should start a new thread?

Simon

Hi Simon,
yes have a Yamaha YP-800 which is my avatar. I bought it off ebay just over a year ago for just over £200. I may have spent a bit to much but I think it was worth it. It give my Systemdekk IIX 900 a good run for its money.

I think one of the problems with Hi-Fi is that it can become more about the equipment than listening to the music. I know that has been true in my case.
I just want to get back to the music and also have something that not only sounds great, but looks it and is built to last. They definitely don't make them like they used to in the 70s.

it might be worth starting a new thread.

cheers

Lee

Back
Top Bottom