Any thoughts on Grace Arms?

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Posted yesterday about Grace headshells, with no luck yet, but I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Grace arms. The one I was trying to get back to life was, I believe, a 704. Any comments? Good or bad? Cartridge recommendations?
Thanks
Erik

I have a Grace 707 arm on my Ariston RD80 and it is quite good. I do not know the 704. I believe there were a lot of older Linn LP12s that came with the 707 if that is any indication of the quality of the arms. One thing I don't like about it is that it is very difficult to change the cartridge. I actually took the arm off the table to install the cartridge.
I recently purchased a Sony PS-X7 and don't use the Ariston much anymore but I would still say that they are better than most of the turntables out there.

The arm on the Denon TT is the 704.
The other one is the 707.

There was a wood version of the 704, wasn´t that something?
Classic arms on their own right.
Jorge

One of the best record stores in Toronto (at least in my opinion) is Around Again Records on McCaul street. They have an Ariston RD11 playing albums in the store and I believe it has the Grace 704 tonearm. They are using a totl grado on it (maybe Grado Platinum?).

Nice storm, it is. Nice stuff they stock. Particularly I like the fact that they actually run their records thru a Nitty Gritty machine before they sell them. Only problem is that they charge well for their records But, I guess the days of Vinyl Museum (may it rest in peace... a moment of silence please) are long gone.
Erik

Funny; I've actually got one of those arms on one of my rigs! :yes: I also have a pictures of it posted on my website for the curious: http://www.sonicperfectionists.com/Equipment.htm
It is a very nice unitpivot arm. From everything that I have read, it is supposedly superior to the much more popular 707 arm. I think that it might have been the first tonearm to use silicon oil-damping, but I could be wrong about this. I believe that it was a higher mass arm than was the 707 which allows it to work with lower compliance cartriges (such as most moving coils) than can be used with the 707.

And yes, Grace did make a Wooden version of this same arm, it was deginated the 714.

Last edited:
Hey Goldear
That is exactly the combo I was thinking of for it: Mounted on a 126. How does it sound?
E

Hi Goldear,
I´m not particularly keen on your avatar, but man, your system is another thing altogether. I was positively drooling all over myself while reading through your Link.
That TD126 is gorgeous, The Linn LP12 with Tangential arm might be unique in the whole world AFAIK, and the Nakamichi Dragon, and.....I could go on and on.
I´m seriously considering submitting a request to the AK bosses with the purpose of forbiding members to show systems like yours to other members. :naughty:
I got 4 kids, all under 18, and and I try my best to teach them not to be envious of things other kids have and they don´t. How can I face them tonight? :sigh:
Seriously, though, that really is an awesome system. Congratulations
Jorge

That is exactly the combo I was thinking of for it: Mounted on a 126. How does it sound?
It sounds very good. Herbie's matt and the Thorens stabilizer help it to sound significantly closer to my Linn than it used to. But The Linn still has more "life" to its sound overall.

Yes, there are certainly significantly better modern arms (for a lot more money), but this is a very nice vintage unit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the complement Hifi-Nut!!! :D I'm very proud of my system.

Actually, I've got four young kids too. Were it not for being able to lock my listening room door, I'd be in serious trouble! :yes:

That was a first attempt at an avatar for me. But I've been thinking that it might look too pretentious, and unfriendly, and that was never my intent. I may have to see if I can come up with something better than the Vorlon...

Back
Top Bottom