Any thoughts, opinions or experience with....

THOR

Fearless Prophet
Home Theater Direct speakers?

Uncle Sam finally paid me some back tax money owed to me for a longgggg time so I have a little extra $$$ kicking around and looking around I decided I needed to do something about my front and rear center channels.

As much as I like the sound of the EPI's I refoamed that I am using I just can't take looking at them anymore.

#1 They aren't black so they don't match very well especially the ones sitting on the HDTV.

#2 The grills if I use them are brown, not matching once again and just plain ugly, and without the grills the ones sitting on the HDTV are distracting.

#3 Size, the ones on the racks are taking up too much space pretty much making the top shelf useless and I am afraid the ones on top of the HDTV are too heavy perhaps bowing the top of the TV, I see no such bow but it is making me paranoid ;)

So I wanted some smaller bookshelves that were black with black grills but with a big sound to use for front and rear centers. Originally I wanted Paradigm Titans for the front and Atoms for the rear well at $219 and $189 a pair respectively when I started thinking about it I really didn't want to spend that much cash. I checked ebay and saw nothing that I wasn't gonna have to wait around to win an auction for. And of course the money is burning a hole in my pocket ;) Well I decided to go with these:

http://www.htdaudio.com/levthremains.html

I got a pair of black level three "B" stock (blemishes on cabinet or some such, but with all warranties and 30 day return policy) for $139 for front centers and a black pair of these:

http://www.htdaudio.com/levtwomainsp.html
at $139 for rear centers.

With only $15 shipping for both pairs it seems like a good deal, all the reviews I read seemed good and if I don't like them I can ship them back within 30 days for a full refund. Anyone heard of these?

Thor- sure wish I could help you out, but no knowledge. If it helps you feel better, I also bought a set of home theater speakers without hearing or seeing them. We must be true videophiles, eh?

I'm sure you'll give us the skinny when you get the speakers though, just as I will if I ever get around to listening again

Thor,

How about using that money to move into a decomissioned movie theater?!!!! Maybe you can find one and rent it. Now that would make the ultimate home theater eh! You could build a nice apartment into one of those upstairs if it has a balcony section.

Once moved in you won't be asking questions about what speakers to use. Your choice will be clear... Altec VOT. Heck, they'll likely come with the joint! :)

Last edited:
Hey Thor

How about a set of Minimus 7 or 77 for rears? They come in black and have a very good following, and you get to keep things vintage. they aren't too big and with the wire grills you can even toss beer cans off them:D

Too late the HDT are on the way to my door, since I basically get a thirty day free trial (they even send you return labels with the speakers to send the m back if you are not satisfied) I will give them a try and if they don't cut the mustard I'll send them back and be looking for something else ;)

Hey Thor,

I was not in the least upset with you recently when you were a bit snarky at my attempt at humor when you had the hum problem. Just so you know. :)

I know you weren't ;) I wasn't being snarky either I was just kidding in my pissy response :D

Also I live in Maine there are no decommissioned movie theaters ;)

Maybe you could get a rusted out school bus and a drive in. Don't forget the VOT. They are great in busses!!!

Thor,

I've heard a lot of good things about HTD, especially the level 2 and 3 series. The level 1 is identical to the Audiosource LS series - I wouldn't be suprised if they shared floor space at the same factory.

I haven't heard the latest versions, but the original level 2's were a real giant-killer at their price point (new). Excellent transition and balance from midbass to tweet, and a slightly laid-back, well rounded sound. I'd put them on par with say, KEF Cresta 2's.

Perfect for home theater, so one can leave the real 'goodies' in the 2ch rigs where they belong.

I'll be interested in your thoughts after you kick them around a bit.

Cheers,
Russ

Thor,

I can tell you that RussMan has a good ear, for a cross-dresser. I've gotten some nice things from him. Some pieces were a little tight in the waist, and some I had to hem myself, but the patterns were always nice.

Toasted Almond

LOL! I also have my 5th M-120A on it's way here so I will wait till the speakers and the amp are both here and then demo them with the new amp and give them a 1 on 1 listen to some toonage to really see what they are made of before I throw them into the HT.

Back
Top Bottom