Any tips on cleaning the AU faceplate?

You shouldn't clean it ...

Really. Some of them are getting very delicate. Doesn't take much to rip the transfers right off.

Whatever you do, avoid dish soap. Those "grease lifters" also do a nice job of softening most anything else. Windex is hard on a lot of the faceplates also.

I'll usually just do a rinse and light rub with a finger under cool water. Blot, don't wipe. If you have some nasty stuff that doesn't want to let loose, maybe just a tiny bit of baby shampoo.

And ALWAYS test just a small section first.

You shouldn't clean it ...

Really. Some of them are getting very delicate. Doesn't take much to rip the transfers right off.

Whatever you do, avoid dish soap. Those "grease lifters" also do a nice job of softening most anything else. Windex is hard on a lot of the faceplates also.

I'll usually just do a rinse and light rub with a finger under cool water. Blot, don't wipe. If you have some nasty stuff that doesn't want to let loose, maybe just a tiny bit of baby shampoo.

And ALWAYS test just a small section first.

Thanks! I was actually gonna just go in hard with some dish soap! I'll give the baby shampoo a go, because some of the marks look pretty set...

I've never had any such issues with lettering coming off on any AU model that I've cleaned. If in doubt, wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth.

I like to 'finish' the cleaned faceplate with a layer of WD40 which is then buffed off. It may sound weird, but do a search and you'll find that this approach is commonly used.

Might be a good stickie ... what results people have with specific faceplates.

Just be sure to put a really large and obvious disclaimer at the top ...

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
DON'T SAY WE DIDNA WARN YA!!

Pete,

Is it highly recommended to use WD-40??My sansui au 999 face plate also needs a cleaning but not sure what material to use to take the dust out.

Dunno if anyone else would recommend doing this BUT...
To do some spot cleaning I actually used a tiny bit of toothpaste and some water. Then I just made sure I wiped it off well with a dry soft cloth. It worked really well with things I couldn't get off with only water. Because toothpaste's only a very light abrasive it didn't leave any visible scratches either.

Pete,

Is it highly recommended to use WD-40??My sansui au 999 face plate also needs a cleaning but not sure what material to use to take the dust out.

WD40 shouldn't really be used during the cleaning phase... it should only be used once you've already cleaned all dirt, dust and marks off the face. Many have found that wiping on a thin layer of WD40 then buffing it off gives a nice finish. Each to their own though!

^^^ +1, petemac. I use WD40 on all my black face Sansui gear with excellent results. Use sparingly and wipe over with soft cloth (microfibre if possible). Non abrasive and leaves the black painted surface looking like new, matte finish and not shiny as you might think.

Here is my AU-717 and MA-7 after cleaning with WD-40. The AU-717 had a lot of watermarks etched into surface from long term storage but now looks like new.

img1500ja.jpg

Last edited:
Dunno if anyone else would recommend doing this BUT...
To do some spot cleaning I actually used a tiny bit of toothpaste and some water. Then I just made sure I wiped it off well with a dry soft cloth. It worked really well with things I couldn't get off with only water. Because toothpaste's only a very light abrasive it didn't leave any visible scratches either.

No ! Do Not use toothpaste :no: - as this contains very fine particulate abrasive material that will be like using fine sandpaper to clean your front panel !!!

Very diluted (liquid) dish soap and warm water + a finish with WD40 are the correct things to use on Black Face Sansui - as others have mentioned - and in my opinion.

Also "blot, don't rub" is good advice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom