Any tips on removing capacitor glue on Yamaha CX-1000?

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Mr. Yamaha, May 17, 2018 at 9:54 AM.

1. Mr. Yamaha

Mr. Yamaha Not so much Yamaha lately... Subscriber

During the recap of my CX-1000 I encountered this very stiff and cement like glue which was used to glue on larger capacitors on the main board. It doesn't come off like the other older Yamaha brown glue, which is much softer.

Normaly I use a sharp piece of wood which doesn't scratch the PCB, but this glue is too stiff / strong. I tried with a small screw driver and already scratched the PCB :yikes:

Does anybody has tips / experience in how to remove? Any help appreciated!

IMG_3784.jpg IMG_3785.jpg IMG_3786.jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bratwurst7s

Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

I've had some luck with acetone used repeatedly between careful work with a small blunt and rounded off flat tip screwdriver, but even then it can be extremely difficult to remove. With my CX-1 I got to the point where I decided "good enough" was good enough and gave up because I was scratching the pcb.

Cheers,
    James

3. Mr. Yamaha

Nice one on the acetone, thx James. It defenitely makes the glue softer. I used sticker remover earlier, but this works better. I'm taking every infected component out to do some proper cleaning.

IMG_3794.jpg IMG_3795.jpg

Oilmaster and Bratwurst7s like this.
  4. Mr. Yamaha

4 hours later...

All glue gone :naughty:

Best method: acetone and scraping with the back of a bamboo skewer stick. Made some scratches before with a screw driver, not recommended.

IMG_3796.jpg

Bratwurst7s likes this.
  5. Spiceman50

Spiceman50 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Life Hack:
    Whenever you go out for Oriental food, grab yourself some of those chop sticks. You can flatten out one edge with bench grinder, or file ... or stick one of them in a pencil sharpener to sharpen a tip on the end. Makes for easy access to cleaning various hard to reach areas or lesson damage on surfaces used to scrape.

Mr. Yamaha and Bratwurst7s like this.
  6. rottalpha

rottalpha Yamaholic Subscriber

MX and CX Yamaha's have it and you should be greatful it was not the nasty Sony stuff.
    A heat gun does wonders with that glue. A bit of goof-off or acetore at the end, and is like was never there.

Mr. Yamaha likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

Heat gun is a great idea, I'll have to give that a shot next time. I've been doing the acetone and sharpened chopstick routine normally but anything to speed up the process is welcome.